Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
One of the biggest shockers for me, is how much amperage can be required simply to keep a laptop running... If I'm somewhere playing on the computer for much of a rainy day, my wind generator had better be spinning bigtime, just to break even with the demands of refrigeration and my MacBook's 12V converter...
I will admit, however, that it sounds like an iPad or similar tablet has changed this equation, bigtime... Everyone I know is telling me I NEED one, and it's just a matter of time before I go down that road... We shall see, but I still think I'm too much of a dinosaur at this point to ever be comfortable without the appropriate paper aboard... :-)

I found the same thing with a macbook. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but looking at the chargers;

macbook input @ 115 volts = 1.5 amp
Ipad2 input @ 115 volts = .15 amp

Then you can take the ipad further using a 12v charger, no converter. It charges at half the amperage.

Where as the macbook was a charging issue on my boat, the ipad is a non issue. For you with refrigeration, it's an undetectable usage.

Nice photo! When I first met you on the web, you were railing against digital cameras and the demise of film. (grin)

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Nice photo! When I first met you on the web, you were railing against digital cameras and the demise of film. (grin)
HEHEHE! We will win him over to biminis before long...

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-25-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
This is a new service they are offering. The charts were not previously available as PDFs, you used to need special software to read their electronic charts.

It also says "For the three-month trial period, NOAA is providing about a thousand high-resolution printable nautical charts—almost the entire NOAA suite of charts—as PDF files. The PDF nautical charts, which are exact images of the traditional charts currently printed by lithography, will be available for free download on October 22. Coast Survey will then evaluate usage and user feedback to decide whether to continue the service."

So this is an additional service that NOAA is providing, and may continue to provide if it works out.

I fail to see how Raster charts aren't the same as PDF charts....i mean you can print both?
Old 10-25-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
I fail to see how Raster charts aren't the same as PDF charts....i mean you can print both?
I believe they're the exact same charts, just in two different file formats. The PDF might be handier for some people because almost any device can view a PDF without needing additional software.

They're just giving more options.
Old 10-25-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Raster (RNC)charts are just photocopies of the paper charts, calibrated to work with plotters. Electronic navigation (ENC) charts are vector based which means they are point-based, mapped by showing the locations of known individual points, depths, and objects. That's why they don't have elevation lines for the land masses like the rasters. I don't know how they estimate shoreline location but I'd guess they use the lines from the original rasters. Maybe someone else can fill in on the exact procedure they use to come up with an ENC.
Cruisingdad likes this.
Old 10-25-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
One of the biggest shockers for me, is how much amperage can be required simply to keep a laptop running... If I'm somewhere playing on the computer for much of a rainy day, my wind generator had better be spinning bigtime, just to break even with the demands of refrigeration and my MacBook's 12V converter... I can't imagine running a laptop all day for navigation, even the draw of my chartplotter(s) alone adds up pretty quickly over the course of 24 hours, and I've always suspected that most people who are running these devices all the time are doing a LOT of motoring, as opposed to sailing... Even with solar and all the rest, prolonged periods under sail alone just isn't very conducive to keeping such an array of gadgets up and running, and many of the bigger boats I run require at least an hour or two of generator run time every day, just to keep up...

Unless I'm being forced to do otherwise by a schedule, I like to sail as much as possible... Cruising in a place like the Canadian Maritimes, where one might see overcast and light air conditions for days at a time, you won't get much power generation from solar or wind, and running a plotter or computer full time can quickly run my bank down... In such situations, if I don't need to be running radar, I'll shut everything down as much as possible, and simply rely on my trusty old Garmin 48 handheld GPS and paper charts, over a period of days it can make a huge difference in power consumed... For there is nothing I hate more, than having to run my engine simply to charge my house bank, or any peripheral 'devices' I might have aboard...

I will admit, however, that it sounds like an iPad or similar tablet has changed this equation, bigtime... Everyone I know is telling me I NEED one, and it's just a matter of time before I go down that road... We shall see, but I still think I'm too much of a dinosaur at this point to ever be comfortable without the appropriate paper aboard... :-)

+1 on that. I have to strictly limit computer use to make my 200w of solar panels cover the energy load. Computers are real energy hogs. I have gotten around this a bit by using a little Dell Mini for lots of things like downloading Wfax and entertainment.
Old 10-25-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Raster (RNC)charts are just photocopies of the paper charts, calibrated to work with plotters. Electronic navigation (ENC) charts are vector based which means they are point-based, mapped by showing the locations of known individual points, depths, and objects. That's why they don't have elevation lines for the land masses like the rasters. I don't know how they estimate shoreline location but I'd guess they use the lines from the original rasters. Maybe someone else can fill in on the exact procedure they use to come up with an ENC.
Good post.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
smurphny (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

A few years ago, I'd be up in arms about this. But I just did a boat inventory. I currently have us charts on:

1) plotter
2) pc at the nav station (openCPN + CM93, Noaa Raster and Navionics)
3) a couple of handheld GPS kept in my ditch kit (Garmin BlueChart)
4) My Android phone and my wife's iphone (Navioncs, EarthNC, other apps)
5) iPad in the forward cabin (navionics app)

For all of you that worry about a lightning strike...I just dont think it'll take out all of those devices. A leak at the nav station dripping water and ruining all of my charts is more likey. In today's day and age..."meh"

Mostly open source, included, or free stuff too.
Old 10-26-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

What do you guys think of NOAA's BookletCharts as paper backups? I print them out every spring and file them away on the boat in case I need them. I don't go offshore, so the smaller format isn't a problem for me.

Have any of you tried them?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I find booklet charts to be fairly hard to use, if you're traveling any distance. I have no beef with them being an adequate, although not ideal, backup.

As a side note, many use ink jet printers at home. As all that do would know, the ink will smear when wet. It seems quite less than ideal to use ink jets to print marine charts, unless they are going to be laminated.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.