SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104978-noaa-stop-printing-nautical-charts.html)

Tanley 10-23-2013 09:27 AM

NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

NOAA announces end of traditional paper nautical charts

Quote:

NOAA's Office of Coast Survey, which creates and maintains the nation's suite of a thousand nautical charts of U.S. coastal waters, has announced major changes ahead for mariners and others who use nautical charts. Starting April 13, 2014, the federal government will no longer print traditional lithographic (paper) nautical charts.

Since 1862, those lithographic nautical charts—available in marine shops and other stores—have been printed by the U.S. government and sold to the public by commercial vendors. The decision to stop production is based on several factors: the declining demand for lithographic charts, the increasing use of digital and electronic charts, and federal budget realities.

"With the end of traditional paper charts, our primary concern continues to be making sure that boaters, fishing vessels, and commercial mariners have access to the most accurate, up-to-date nautical chart in a format that works well for them," said Capt. Shep Smith, chief of Coast Survey's Marine Chart Division. "Fortunately, advancements in computing and mobile technologies give us many more options than was possible years ago."

NOAA will continue to create and maintain other forms of nautical charts, including the increasingly popular Print-on-Demand (POD) charts, updated paper charts available from NOAA-certified printers. NOAA electronic navigational charts (NOAA ENC®) and raster navigational charts (NOAA RNC®), used in a variety of electronic charting systems, are also updated weekly and are available for free download from the Coast Survey website. NOAA announced a new product as well: full-scale PDF (Portable Digital Format) nautical charts, available for free download on a trial basis.

The world of navigation is benefitting from advances in technology, Smith explained. He said that NOAA will consult with chart users and private businesses about the future of U.S. navigation, especially exploring the use of NOAA charts as the basis for new products.

Dave_E 10-23-2013 11:06 AM

Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

My first reaction was "OH NO". But... in my early learning sailing days, charts and basic instruments were all we had. Then comes the techno-geek erra. You really don't "need" a paper chart anymore unless you want one. When I "charted up" last month when we got our boat, I didn't buy the paper charts anyway. I bought water proof, tear proof, indestructable charts. As long as the data is provided to mariners and "print your own" is available... save the money.

Dave

chucklesR 10-23-2013 11:17 AM

My first thought was, gosh - I can print my own, on paper that fits the storage area.

Get self sufficient folks.

jimjazzdad 10-23-2013 11:38 AM

The CHS (Canadian Hydrographic Service - equivalent to NOAA) stopped printing paper charts over a year ago. The print-on-demand charts that replaced them do not have as good definition in the fine print, the colour separation is inferior and the paper is flimsy; these charts will not last anywhere near as long on a small boat. Progress...

Yes I have a chart plotter, but you can't beat paper chatrs for voyage planning, gunk-holing or when the electrics fail.

JonEisberg 10-23-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_E (Post 1109453)
My first reaction was "OH NO". But... in my early learning sailing days, charts and basic instruments were all we had. Then comes the techno-geek erra. You really don't "need" a paper chart anymore unless you want one.

Or, unless you need one...

Your imagination is lacking, if you can't envision a situation where a paper chart might be a really, REALLY nice thing to have... :-)

PaThomas123 10-23-2013 12:21 PM

I guess I will have to stock up just like light bulbs
when i was younger my dad would tell me things were simpler in the past
now that i am older i see what he means

Dave_E 10-23-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1109494)
Or, unless you need one...

Your imagination is lacking, if you can't envision a situation where a paper chart might be a really, REALLY nice thing to have... :-)

You didn't read my post correctly. I DID get charts... just not in PAPER from the Gubment.

The Ol Man 10-23-2013 01:32 PM

The gubment giveith and the gubment taket away, curses on the gubment!
I wonder what the courts will think of your GPS data records in an accident case? "Oh, you didn't have a recording data plotter?" " Why don't you have a 5k$ course recording plotter, with its 1000Amhr batteries necessry to continuly record your weekend sailing trip on your plodder 19?"
This is just another case of people who know nothing about what they are doing desiding what is best for the recepients of their actions. What's next, the CG charging you for safety and complyance inspections?

JonEisberg 10-23-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_E (Post 1109522)
You didn't read my post correctly. I DID get charts... just not in PAPER from the Gubment.

Sorry, guess I must have misconstrued your "You really don't "need" a paper chart anymore unless you want one.", then... :-)

MastUndSchotbruch 10-23-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ol Man (Post 1109534)
The gubment giveith and the gubment taket away, curses on the gubment!

Oh come on.

We are terribly spoiled. I know of no other country where the information for nautical charts is made available completely free. Of course this is how it SHOULD be since we already have paid for it with our taxes. But try to tell this to other governments. Everywhere outside the good ole' USA you pay through the nose for it.