Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013

Tanley is on a distinguished road
NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

NOAA announces end of traditional paper nautical charts

Quote:
NOAA's Office of Coast Survey, which creates and maintains the nation's suite of a thousand nautical charts of U.S. coastal waters, has announced major changes ahead for mariners and others who use nautical charts. Starting April 13, 2014, the federal government will no longer print traditional lithographic (paper) nautical charts.

Since 1862, those lithographic nautical charts—available in marine shops and other stores—have been printed by the U.S. government and sold to the public by commercial vendors. The decision to stop production is based on several factors: the declining demand for lithographic charts, the increasing use of digital and electronic charts, and federal budget realities.

"With the end of traditional paper charts, our primary concern continues to be making sure that boaters, fishing vessels, and commercial mariners have access to the most accurate, up-to-date nautical chart in a format that works well for them," said Capt. Shep Smith, chief of Coast Survey's Marine Chart Division. "Fortunately, advancements in computing and mobile technologies give us many more options than was possible years ago."

NOAA will continue to create and maintain other forms of nautical charts, including the increasingly popular Print-on-Demand (POD) charts, updated paper charts available from NOAA-certified printers. NOAA electronic navigational charts (NOAA ENC®) and raster navigational charts (NOAA RNC®), used in a variety of electronic charting systems, are also updated weekly and are available for free download from the Coast Survey website. NOAA announced a new product as well: full-scale PDF (Portable Digital Format) nautical charts, available for free download on a trial basis.

The world of navigation is benefitting from advances in technology, Smith explained. He said that NOAA will consult with chart users and private businesses about the future of U.S. navigation, especially exploring the use of NOAA charts as the basis for new products.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

My first reaction was "OH NO". But... in my early learning sailing days, charts and basic instruments were all we had. Then comes the techno-geek erra. You really don't "need" a paper chart anymore unless you want one. When I "charted up" last month when we got our boat, I didn't buy the paper charts anyway. I bought water proof, tear proof, indestructable charts. As long as the data is provided to mariners and "print your own" is available... save the money.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 10-23-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

My first thought was, gosh - I can print my own, on paper that fits the storage area.

Get self sufficient folks.
Old 10-23-2013
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

The CHS (Canadian Hydrographic Service - equivalent to NOAA) stopped printing paper charts over a year ago. The print-on-demand charts that replaced them do not have as good definition in the fine print, the colour separation is inferior and the paper is flimsy; these charts will not last anywhere near as long on a small boat. Progress...

Yes I have a chart plotter, but you can't beat paper chatrs for voyage planning, gunk-holing or when the electrics fail.
souljour2000 likes this.
Old 10-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
My first reaction was "OH NO". But... in my early learning sailing days, charts and basic instruments were all we had. Then comes the techno-geek erra. You really don't "need" a paper chart anymore unless you want one.
Or, unless you need one...

Your imagination is lacking, if you can't envision a situation where a paper chart might be a really, REALLY nice thing to have... :-)
souljour2000 and Brewgyver like this.
Old 10-23-2013

PaThomas123 is on a distinguished road

I guess I will have to stock up just like light bulbs
when i was younger my dad would tell me things were simpler in the past
now that i am older i see what he means
Old 10-23-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Or, unless you need one...

Your imagination is lacking, if you can't envision a situation where a paper chart might be a really, REALLY nice thing to have... :-)
You didn't read my post correctly. I DID get charts... just not in PAPER from the Gubment.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 10-23-2013

The Ol Man is on a distinguished road

The gubment giveith and the gubment taket away, curses on the gubment!
I wonder what the courts will think of your GPS data records in an accident case? "Oh, you didn't have a recording data plotter?" " Why don't you have a 5k$ course recording plotter, with its 1000Amhr batteries necessry to continuly record your weekend sailing trip on your plodder 19?"
This is just another case of people who know nothing about what they are doing desiding what is best for the recepients of their actions. What's next, the CG charging you for safety and complyance inspections?
Old 10-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
You didn't read my post correctly. I DID get charts... just not in PAPER from the Gubment.
Sorry, guess I must have misconstrued your "You really don't "need" a paper chart anymore unless you want one.", then... :-)
Old 10-23-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ol Man View Post
The gubment giveith and the gubment taket away, curses on the gubment!
Oh come on.

We are terribly spoiled. I know of no other country where the information for nautical charts is made available completely free. Of course this is how it SHOULD be since we already have paid for it with our taxes. But try to tell this to other governments. Everywhere outside the good ole' USA you pay through the nose for it.