Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Fraud on the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Mast, take your politics to OT. You don't know me from Adam.
1) Do I have to know you so you allow me to respond?

2) What does this have to do with politics? I thought we were discussing a legal question, how long a foreign sailor is allowed to stay in the US with a tourist visa, and whether it is acceptable to break the laws regulating non-immigrant status. What is your definition of 'politics?' And what is your definition of 'your politics?'

[OK, I give you one thing, my suspicion a number of posts ago that authorities might see this situation differently if they were not white Europeans but 'colored' nationals of a third world country can be considered political. But neither you nor anyone else reacted to this so don't accuse me of wasting time or bandwidth]

3) Your post, to which I replied, ended with "Facts folks, facts." I provided facts. Among other things, a link with a picture of the expired visa and another one to the US embassy in France explaining visa regulations.

What facts did you provide so far in this thread? (other than starting it for which I give you credit).

You don't seem to like facts. Or at least not if they don't agree with what you like to think.

But it's fine. I understand very clearly that you don't want to hear from me any more. Wish granted.

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 11-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Just and update - they got a tow to Morehead city - painted/repainted the boat red (instead of the pinkish faded red).

Note to self, painted the boat - but did not fix the engine (which only needed 20 bucks and some twine or some such).
jimgo and Atlas like this.
Old 05-06-2014
Banned

nccouple is on a distinguished road

Here's the latest about Primadonna. Primadonna's Latest Controversy | TownDock.net, Oriental NC I didn't even know there was already a thread on here until I searched it. I've been following this story for a long time on towndock.net . In the words of Earl Hickey its karma.
Old 05-06-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccouple View Post
Here's the latest about Primadonna. Primadonna's Latest Controversy | TownDock.net, Oriental NC I didn't even know there was already a thread on here until I searched it. I've been following this story for a long time on towndock.net . In the words of Earl Hickey its karma.
WOW, Karma, but also a note on who to watch out for.
Salvage is salvage, but this isn't salvage it's thievery.
Old 05-06-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
WOW, Karma, but also a note on who to watch out for.
Salvage is salvage, but this isn't salvage it's thievery.
I agree completely. Salvage is a contract, not a free for all.
That woman really upset me with her blatant delight at another's misfortune, no matter the back story. Not exactly someone I'd feel very comfortable sharing an anchorage with. Maybe we cruisers should be wearing wreaths of garlic and carrying blessed crucifixes?
Old 05-07-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
That woman really upset me with her blatant delight at another's misfortune, no matter the back story. Not exactly someone I'd feel very comfortable sharing an anchorage with. Maybe we cruisers should be wearing wreaths of garlic and carrying blessed crucifixes?
Yep, a good reason to be observant about who is sailing around you. Not everybody operates on the same moral code.
Multihullgirl likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-07-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I do believe in karma. Do unto others...... Primadana had it coming. I have no sympathy for them. I doubt France will want them back either. I bet a Bahamian jail isn't much fun.

However, I could not imagine climbing aboard a boat and taking things, whether I knew the salvage rules or not. The crew of Fata Morgana are thieves. No matter how remote, I would be wondering if her crew was about to return with a tow vessel any minute.

I will give them this much faint credit. I doubt they mentally processed what they were doing was wrong. Could make them incredibly naive, with low moral values, or the worst of criminals. I'm guessing the former.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-07-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road

What does stealing stuff off of a boat have to do with "salvage?"

Is the boat "sunk" or just "grounded?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Old 05-07-2014

Atlas is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to see that most sailors (and most notably Pat Stockwell) are appalled by the behaviour of the Fata Morgana crew.

One would expect Stockwell to draw some grim pleasure from the fate of the Prima Donna. However, he seems to be built of nobler stuff. Thumbs up to him!
miatapaul and bljones like this.
Old 05-07-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

What they did was out and out piracy/theft there was no possible way to have gotten a signed salvage contract with the Otts and to do the breaker bit they would have had to first salvaged the vessel and gotten a release from a maritime court to break the vessel to recoupe expenses incurred during the salvage operation. There are specific maritime laws concerning that. However I doubt anyone will do anything for this perticular incident. I do however feel that the crew of the fata Morgana will not be welcome into any anchorage where their exploits are known. I would be afraid to leave to reprovisision for fear of them " salvaging my vessel as well"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.