Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Fraud on the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I do believe in karma. Do unto others...... Primadana had it coming. I have no sympathy for them. I doubt France will want them back either. I bet a Bahamian jail isn't much fun.

However, I could not imagine climbing aboard a boat and taking things, whether I knew the salvage rules or not. The crew of Fata Morgana are thieves. No matter how remote, I would be wondering if her crew was about to return with a tow vessel any minute.

I will give them this much faint credit. I doubt they mentally processed what they were doing was wrong. Could make them incredibly naive, with low moral values, or the worst of criminals. I'm guessing the former.
Frankly, this event somewhat validates the old saw "What goes around, comes around" so I have no sympathy for the interred yacht owners what-so-ever.

As to the "wreckers", wrecking is an old, long practiced tradition in the Bahamas, extending back to the 1650's at least. Entire communities developed and survived, if not thrived, on the practice. Coming upon what was pretty clearly an abandoned wreck it would not be unreasonable to assume that one might take something of value. It is not something I might be inclined to do, but...considering the openness with which the crew of Fata Morgan related the event, there was clearly no criminal intent.

Similarly, if one were to come upon the long abandoned Swan Wolfhound at sea and go aboard and take some of the gear, would that be criminal? Would it be later if the abandoned yacht fetched up on some shore (as it may sooner or later)? I don't think so.

So I would not be too quick to make judgements, eh?
smackdaddy likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Voodoo was a long practiced tradition in the Bahamas as well, although, they called it something else. Yesterday's practices, don't make them right today.

These "wreckers" were from Canada or the US, I believe? No excuses. Taking from the misfortune of others violates the cursing culture, which I've found is more willing to help than harm. There are abominations in everything and they are just that, along with the jailed crew of Primidana. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-07-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

If the boat was healed over and barnacles are growing in the cockpit, then I consider it fair game. What they did was awesome, and I am jelly I was not there first. I would have gotten an extra kick had I seen the name and made the connection to these scum. they are not sailors. They need to go back to france, and live in an apartment, and earn a living honestly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-07-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Bahamas? Follow UK precedent and have a "keeper of the wreck" perhaps?

It would help to know what the legalities are about taking things from a wreck in the Bahamas. Who knows, the Bulgarian expats might find themselves in the cell next door to the Frenchmen.

Karma, nyeh?
Old 05-07-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

The cursing/cruising community I know would work together to get that boat off the reef and secure it in a place where the owners would have a chance of retrieving it.

I am flabbergasted that someone would boast about stealing from someones home and do it online.
Old 05-07-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
The cursing/cruising community I know would work together to get that boat off the reef and secure it in a place where the owners would have a chance of retrieving it.
No, but you have a good point, we should work to get it off the reef, and sink it. It will make a nice home for a new reef. The previous owners should be banned from sailing due to poor character.

Old 05-07-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

When anchored vessels come ashore in English Bay or Kits (Vancouver) at night, the "salvagers' are on board by daybreak. The authorities apparently don't know or care about Canada's Receiver of Wreck laws. The unwashed masses seem to agree. Sounds like piracy or just plain theft. I could go on about Canadians mindset in this regard but I don't want to wax political. (So your car broke down and I sold the tires and rims while you called CAA ??)
Old 05-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
.......(So your car broke down and I sold the tires and rims while you called CAA ??)
That is the perfect analogy here. Despite the fact that they don't deserve sympathy.
blowinstink likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-08-2014
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Karma schmarma . . . do any of you really believe the universe is structured to satisfy any of our petty score-keeping? There was no grand tradition here, this was theft pure and simple. The Bahamian law is perfectly clear. And, not for nothing it wasn't theft of a meal or even money to support a habit. It was theft by relatively wealthy foreign cruisers on an expensive multihull who went on to justify it and even brag about it on the internet like a bunch of highschoolers videotaping themselves playing mailbox baseball. They had the luxury of adult brains, financial security, a life of leisure and they still stole. Simply pathetic if you ask me.
jzk likes this.
Old 05-08-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I would suspect the locals haven't salvaged the wreck (refloated it) because it technically isn't abandoned, as the owners are detained not simply absent by choice. And that someone in the government there may be thinking, if they allow the vessel to deteriorate, by whatever means, well, that pretty much helps to ensure the invaders won't be coming back again, doesn't it? Without the expense and nuisance of the usual legal process.

Pursuing the Bulgarnadians, might be seen as counterproductive towards those ends.