SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fraud on the hook

12K views 70 replies 40 participants last post by  UnionPacific 
#1 ·
#2 ·
For sure sucks. Even if Ott wasn't in on the original scam, he's clearly scum for taking expensive advantage of someone who was helping him.

#4 ·
Meet the guy last spring and didn't like or trust him then. Heard stories about him being a pain and made suggestions on how to get him out of Oriental (my home port).
I know he and his wife have been there far to long for their travel visa's to be good.
Now I hope someone does something about them.

#5 ·
I think I know a boat that should "accidentally" get off the hook while their owner is visiting the Tiki Bar. Or maybe it would have a bilge pump failure while taking on a little too much water.

#6 ·
$400 was collected from cruisers at the Hampton Snowbird Rendezvous ( Hampton Snowbird Rendezvous - Home ) last weekend to help make Pat whole.

We look after our own.

Ott needs to move on, or better face the legal consequences for his actions.

#9 ·
Unbelievable...

Yes, they have overstayed their visa by several months, ICE has been notified, apparently with no result...

One solution, surprising it hasn't been tried in a town as small and close-knit as Oriental, would be for the local businesses to band together, and simply refuse to take their money, or do any business with them whatsoever... Sure, let them try to bring a discrimination suit, whatever... Monique was arrested back in the summer for shoplifting from a local market, I doubt that would bolster their case...

Classic example of one look at the boat, saying it all... :)

Here's more, from earlier in the year... This clown claims to have sailed thru Hurricane Sandy, and offered to assist the BOUNTY, but the CG waved him off... Yeah, right...

Primadonna | The Shipping News | TownDock.net, Oriental NC

#14 ·
#11 ·
The story indicated that some work had been one on the boat, right? Think this would help? I'm sure there's paperwork but in Cruces, we don't even have to prove the debt. I owned a business and almost placed one on a property then. Got worked out with the threat. Sad it had to go that far.

#15 ·
It isn't even a Joshua! It may be a red steel boat, but not built as the article states.
It would take an incredible amount of paperwork to seize a foreign registered boat; easier to just have ICE deport them.

#18 ·
You know, I understand that Stockwell was just trying to help someone out. Certainly an admirable thing. And I feel sorry for the guy. But co-endorsing a check for someone you do not know EXTREMELY well is a little bit like sending your bank information to a Nigerian Prince.

#31 ·
I'm with you. In fact, I don't know anyone for whom I would endorse a check for nearly $3K. If a close friend needed a little cash to tide him over until his check cleared I would loan him fifty or a hundred bucks and file it away as a gift.

As friend Orvil once said: "Never, ever, go on the hook for more than you can afford to take out of your pocket and give away." :cool:

#19 ·
Yep,
Said to say but Pat should have held the cash the two-three days until the check cleared.

As to Ott - he may be innocent of knowingly committing fraud, but he's certainly guilty of bad ethics and character. It would be one thing if he was buying food and parts - but hanging out and relaxing is a stab in the eye. His business should be refused.

Once the word is out he'll be shunned in most communities without trial or a chance.
That's punishment enough perhaps.

#20 ·
I must say that anyone who cashes a personal cheque without waiting for the funds to clear is asking for trouble. I mean really, what sort of a complete idiot would do that ?

#25 ·
A lien on the boat might make it difficult for the Otts, and should be possible one way or another. Then if ICE came to follow up on their visa violation, they wouldn't be able to leave on the boat because it could be locked to the mooring. Nasty set of circumstances.

#32 ·
If he was American this would have been dealt with long ago. Illegal aliens are getting free passes.
BS Xort.

You are smarter than that. How would you like to be run out of the islands because you passed a bad check? It can happen.

Either way it takes someone to actually press charges - something NOT done here. You can't take legal action without a crime. ICE can not become involved without a reason either.

This incident is about a cruiser who needs to be watched so he does no further harm, not about a foreigner committing alleged crimes.

Keep the politics to the OT threads.

#41 · (Edited)
1) Do I have to know you so you allow me to respond?

2) What does this have to do with politics? I thought we were discussing a legal question, how long a foreign sailor is allowed to stay in the US with a tourist visa, and whether it is acceptable to break the laws regulating non-immigrant status. What is your definition of 'politics?' And what is your definition of 'your politics?'

[OK, I give you one thing, my suspicion a number of posts ago that authorities might see this situation differently if they were not white Europeans but 'colored' nationals of a third world country can be considered political. But neither you nor anyone else reacted to this so don't accuse me of wasting time or bandwidth]

3) Your post, to which I replied, ended with "Facts folks, facts." I provided facts. Among other things, a link with a picture of the expired visa and another one to the US embassy in France explaining visa regulations.

What facts did you provide so far in this thread? (other than starting it for which I give you credit).

You don't seem to like facts. Or at least not if they don't agree with what you like to think.

But it's fine. I understand very clearly that you don't want to hear from me any more. Wish granted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.