SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Fraud on the hook (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104992-fraud-hook.html)

chucklesR 10-23-2013 02:23 PM

Fraud on the hook

Local Man On The Hook For Boat In Anchorage | TownDock.net, Oriental NC

sucks.

arf145 10-23-2013 02:56 PM

Re: Fraud on the hook

For sure sucks. Even if Ott wasn't in on the original scam, he's clearly scum for taking expensive advantage of someone who was helping him.

erps 10-23-2013 02:57 PM

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if this guy's boat sunk while he was spending the money from that check at the local bar.

MarioG 10-23-2013 03:11 PM

Meet the guy last spring and didn't like or trust him then. Heard stories about him being a pain and made suggestions on how to get him out of Oriental (my home port).
I know he and his wife have been there far to long for their travel visa's to be good.
Now I hope someone does something about them.

krazzz 10-23-2013 03:16 PM

I think I know a boat that should "accidentally" get off the hook while their owner is visiting the Tiki Bar. Or maybe it would have a bilge pump failure while taking on a little too much water.

SVAuspicious 10-23-2013 03:19 PM

$400 was collected from cruisers at the Hampton Snowbird Rendezvous ( Hampton Snowbird Rendezvous - Home ) last weekend to help make Pat whole.

We look after our own.

Ott needs to move on, or better face the legal consequences for his actions.

Rhapsody-NS27 10-23-2013 03:32 PM

Wow. I hope they resolve it soon.

Couldn't they haul/confiscate the boat in order to get the money back?

erps 10-23-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Couldn't they haul/confiscate the boat in order to get the money back?
I think there has to be some due process first, like a civil suit and a liability finding?

JonEisberg 10-23-2013 04:01 PM

Unbelievable...

Yes, they have overstayed their visa by several months, ICE has been notified, apparently with no result...

One solution, surprising it hasn't been tried in a town as small and close-knit as Oriental, would be for the local businesses to band together, and simply refuse to take their money, or do any business with them whatsoever... Sure, let them try to bring a discrimination suit, whatever... Monique was arrested back in the summer for shoplifting from a local market, I doubt that would bolster their case...

Classic example of one look at the boat, saying it all... :-)

Here's more, from earlier in the year... This clown claims to have sailed thru Hurricane Sandy, and offered to assist the BOUNTY, but the CG waved him off... Yeah, right...

Primadonna | The Shipping News | TownDock.net, Oriental NC

miatapaul 10-23-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 1109621)
I think there has to be some due process first, like a civil suit and a liability finding?

But this is the court of the internet where all are guilty till proven innocent.

I doubt the boat is even enough to cover the check. Sad situation.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk