Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Re: We Killed the Pacific Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Too little, way too late.
To late for those who have lost their way of life already, but not too late for the oceans. They can recover, given enough time. Assuming we do what we need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Amazingly enough, most of these problems can be fixed rather quickly if we, as a species, decide it is important enough for us to allocate more money to fighting pollution and over fishing. Sadly, it is not likely to happen because even sailors from developed countries trivialize this very real problem.
FWIW the number and variety of birds and animals have increased in the area I grew up and the water is cleaner. It is possible to turn this stuff around.

On the other hand I had the misfortune of finding myself swimming through a "garbage patch" on a local lake a few years ago while training for a triathlon. This was after a storm. Obviously this isn't just a third world problem. The city has started to divert storm sewers so that they don't run straight into the lakes and rivers and instead goes into holding ponds.

For several years on Earth Day my family along with hundreds of other volunteers would pick up the garbage around nearby lakes and beaches. You feel good about helping to clean things up but at the same time distressed at how much junk ends up back there in just one years time. When I first moved here I couldn't figure out why the concession stands at the beaches wouldn't give out straws (the restaurants that have taken over do now I think). After picking up what seemed like thousands of them, I know why.
krisscross likes this.

Last edited by unimacs; 10-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
On the other hand I had the misfortune of finding myself swimming through a "garbage patch" on a local lake a few years ago while training for a triathlon. This was after a storm. Obviously this isn't just a third world problem. The city has started to divert storm sewers so that they don't run straight into the lakes and rivers and instead goes into holding ponds.
Stormwater runoff is the #1 problem for all developed countries, which by and large have already addressed the point source discharges by municipal and industrial water users. It can be done with just a bit more money, and it generates many additional side benefits, like improving groundwater recharge rates (stormwater gets a chance to sink into the ground), creating habitat for wildlife and green spaces for people to enjoy, and even impacting the climate (wetlands have the cooling effect in the summer and warming in the winter.
I work in the environmental field and I'm amazed how little it actually costs to improve the environment as compared to let's say military spending. How many lives would we be saving annually if we diverted just 10% of current military spending to improve the quality of our environment here in the States? Probably like 10,000 times more than are killed by the terrorists.
Argyle38 likes this.
Old 10-24-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Stormwater runoff is the #1 problem for all developed countries
I bike past of bit of this remediation every day. St. Paul has channeled all the surface runoff from a large industrial and commercial area to artificial marshes surrounding some bike trails. It's good habitat for ducks and rabbits and other small critters. I've seen deer, coyote, raccoons, and even a couple opossums (who did not used to live this far north, but we're getting warmer).

Anyway, the point is that all that nasty surface runoff now gets filtered and processed and recharges aquifers, instead of dumping directly into the Mississippi and eventually contributing to the dead zone in the Gulf.

With a combination of private and public action we can make things better. There was a time in this country when rivers routinely started on fire, we're at least better than that.
krisscross and unimacs like this.
Old 10-24-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Yawn! I counter the BS with science:

Coral more resilient than first thought, Australian scientists find - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226745594703

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2013

The Ol Man is on a distinguished road

I thank all of you who took the time to read my rant. I appoligise for loosing my temper over some who call us 'old hippies'- sorry, I am too old to be called a hippie and was busy in SE asia at the time. Yes, things are being done to combat the problem. Little projects, here and there and big projects, all having their effect. But the problem is huge and we need to do more. So thanking you in advance for your support and aid, now lets get back to work.
xymotic, dvuyxx, casey1999 and 1 others like this.
Old 10-24-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

Hey, great- coral refs can counter climate changes. How exactly is that preventing over-fishing and pollution from our cities?
Old 10-24-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
How exactly is that preventing over-fishing and pollution from our cities?
To fix those problems its quite easy: Everyone Stop listening to Global Warming BS and take care of Polution each and every one of us instead of pretending its only big bad countries evil empires that do it. And all fishing should be aquiculture. ONLY. All fishing banned except farmed fish.

See? Simple!

Mark
carl762 and krisscross like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I think that instead of subsidizing residential communities and large scale farming in the flood zones we could subsidize turning part of these flood plains into well designed stormwater runoff management areas which would absorb the extra nutrients and pollution which is killing aquatic life all the way to the sea. It is already happening using local funds because cities and counties have no choice but to deal with these issues.
Old 10-24-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
To fix those problems its quite easy: Everyone Stop listening to Global Warming BS and take care of Polution each and every one of us instead of pretending its only big bad countries evil empires that do it. And all fishing should be aquiculture. ONLY. All fishing banned except farmed fish.

See? Simple!

Mark
Leaving Global Warming aside for a bit, one of the biggest issues we have in terms of water pollution in Minnesota is mercury. It's gotten so bad that it's recommended that you eat no more than one meal a month made from a large fish caught in Minnesota. Pregnant women shouldn't eat any. For smaller game fish it's one meal a week. Pan fish I think you can eat all you want if you don't mind spending your life cleaning them.

A major source of the mercury found in our lakes is coal-fired power plants, - which also happen to be a major source of man made CO2 that ends up in the atmosphere.

As a state we've made great strides in reducing the amount of mercury produced by power plants but most of the mercury that ends up coming down in rain and snow comes from some place else. Obviously this needs to be a world-wide effort.

Anyway my point is that whether through improved efficiency or alternative energy sources, you can address pollution AND CO2 (I'm not going to get into the argument over whether or not CO2 is pollution).
newhaul likes this.

Last edited by unimacs; 10-24-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.