Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: We Killed the Pacific Ocean

My family and I do beach clean-ups here in Hawaii routinely. Here are some pics of stuff we find. We filled that dumpster in a few hours with a lot of voulunteers. The large orange thing next to the dumpster is a highway barricade. It is plastic and had Japanese writing on it. Probably from the Japan Tsunami. The truck is full of discarded fishing gear- some huge poly lines in there. Rountinely here in Hawaii humback whales get tangle in this discarded rope. NOAA will attempt to remove from the whales when they can. Last year a just born calf died along the side of its mother after getting tangled in discarded line. Most of the fishing line is from ships operating thousands of miles away.

We also collected thousands of fragments of plastic down to the size of 1/8" x 1/8". This is what happens to plastic- it never really disapears, it just get smaller and smaller. What happens when sea life eats this stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
We Killed the Pacific Ocean-1119111237a.jpg   We Killed the Pacific Ocean-1119111300a.jpg   We Killed the Pacific Ocean-sea-bird-plastic.jpg  
krisscross likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2013

One thing I do not understand (well I do really understand- its all about making more profit), is why a pepermint patty candy (or many other cadies)has to have a mylar wraper? Or why all the excessive plastic packaging that exist now? Some of this packaging is so strong that you need tools to open the item (like the clear heat sealed clam shell type packaging), and you can end up getting a nasty cut from the sharp edges of the cut packaging.

A lot of this packaging does not get recycled or disposed of properly. It eventually goes to a waterway where it has a life span of hundreds of years.

We really need a world wide regulation on plastics. Either ban plastic packaging or use somthing that will bio-degrade in a short time. Same for other plastics- they need to be biodegradeable.

Back in the hippie era of 60's and 70's we did not have all this plastic, and we all lived a good life, and the oceans and beaches were a lot cleaner. Now plastic is used for everything and discarded everywhere.

Here in Hawaii when the grow pineapple, HDPE plastic tube is layed in the ground to water and fertilize the pineapple. After harvest the plastic tube is cut up by the plough. It eventually winds up in the ocean- just crazy.

We cannot continue to litter the earth with plastic.

Last edited by casey1999; 10-24-2013 at 03:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to casey1999 For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

I would guess the candy keeps better in the mylar wrapper and it's also lightweight.

There's been something of a backlash against the blister packs and I've seen some movement away from it. There's a surprising number of emergency room visits that have resulted from people trying to open them with knives and scissors.
Old 10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
I would guess the candy keeps better in the mylar wrapper and it's also lightweight.
I am sure you are right. The question should be does the benefit of having a fresh perpermint patty 1,000 times in a row offset the detriment to the planet? Or could one live with getting a stale pepermint patty 1 time out of a hundred, but with the benefit of not having 500 mylar wrappers blowing around in the wind? Even when someone throws these mylar wrappers in the outdoor trash can, they end up blowing out.

Interesting while everything in our lives is regulated by the government, the materials and method companies package goods is not one of them.
Old 10-24-2013

Tallswede is on a distinguished road

I live on a tidal creek here on the Gulf Coast of Texas and the sheer amount of stuff (garbage) that floats up onto just my little bit of land is amazing. Literally garbage bags full every month. After every big rainstorm it's even worse. This stuff is being washed out of town and floats out to the bay with every rain. After Hurricane Ike there was literally tons of stuff washed up onto my property and I'm still finding that stuff back in the woods every winter. People are nasty is what I am learning and there are simply not enough of us who want to reduce, re-use, recycle yet. BUT, things have actually gotten better. My little creek was once filled with oil derricks and the waters ran like chocolate milk. The area has been cleaned up for the most part and wild life has come back. The water is much cleaner but there is still too much trash being thrown down and washed into the water shed but I have hope that as industry has gotten it's act together around here that people will too.
krisscross likes this.
Old 10-24-2013

jmshaver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yawn! I counter the BS with science:

You counter claims of over fishing and garbage in the ocean with an out of context article about coral ref resiliency to warmer temperatures?

Well done... I guess?
Old 10-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallswede View Post
People are nasty is what I am learning and there are simply not enough of us who want to reduce, re-use, recycle yet. BUT, things have actually gotten better. My little creek was once filled with oil derricks and the waters ran like chocolate milk. The area has been cleaned up for the most part and wild life has come back. The water is much cleaner but there is still too much trash being thrown down and washed into the water shed but I have hope that as industry has gotten it's act together around here that people will too.
far too true. Living on the southern end of NJ, i can remember days when you could not swim in the ocean when the tide and currents would bring NY's sewerage down the coast, causing fecal counts to climb through the roof. Now it is rare to see a beach closed (and NJ has some high standards on what they consider a clean beach, beleive it or not) and in a lot of cases the once murky green ocean has become quite clear.

Here in the US the problem is no longer big companies polluting. We have largely taken care of that.. it is the everyday folk who keep tossing their garbage wherever they want. I live on a corner lot and constantly find trash in the grass. I also do some offroading into the Pine Barrens the amount of "heavy" trash I find deposited out there is just sickening.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 10-24-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

When it’s all said and done, it’s about people – too many of them. And still we spend trillions of dollars finding ways to enhance opportunities to multiply, save infants that ordinarily have no chance of survival or even a normal life, keep people alive long after they should be dead, negating nature’s process of thinning out the species. All in the name of humanity. All in the face of an exponentially growing global population.

All the pollution on the planet, be it plastic or CO2 or anything else, is derived as the result of people. Plastic in itself is not a problem – it is the vast quantity of it that has to be produced to satisfy the clamoring masses. This from a website called “Treehugger” (FWIW) “Out of the 50 billion bottles of water being bought in the US each year, 80% end up in a landfill, even though recycling programs exist.” (This is not a dig at the US, this is a global phenomenon). So accelerate the population growth – accelerate the pollution. More people, more power stations, more CO2, more plastic.

The planet has only so much it can produce. When we have consumed that, it’s all over. Two movies from my youth come to mind – Soylent Green and The Hellstrom Chronicle. When we saw those movies we thought “science fiction” – now they are fast becoming reality. Whilst we can genetically engineer crops to produce more, we can’t genetically alter the oceans to produce more fish. We can’t genetically alter the people who will continue to rape the resource in search of another dollar. And we can’t genetically engineer people who already have no food to stop them from creating another mouth to feed.

Humanity as a species is nothing more than a blip in the life of Planet Earth. We have this arrogance that allows us to believe that we will continue to exist forever and that this planet needs us when we all know that humanity is just another snapshot in Earth’s great picture book. The encouraging thing in all of this is that the planet will always survive. Humanity not so much. When we’re all long gone, the planet will rehabilitate itself and start afresh. Who knows what it will have as its inhabitants but then again who cares? It just won’t be us.

Maybe our collective wisdom will carry through and the next species will be better at preserving their version of the planet than we are/ were.

So to the belief that we can collectively do something to reverse the destructive trend – for each one of us that cares there are 1,000 people who either couldn’t give a toss or are unable to. Those are not very positive odds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-24-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
When it’s all said and done, it’s about people – too many of them...

So to the belief that we can collectively do something to reverse the destructive trend – for each one of us that cares there are 1,000 people who either couldn’t give a toss or are unable to. Those are not very positive odds.
Always get a chuckle out of this argument. Too many people and we need to do something about it. You don't need permission to do something about it. If you feel so strongly about it you have the capacity to make us all proud.

But I suspect your actions despite your vigorous call for urgent action will reflect the title of that old country and western song ..."Everybody wants to go to Heaven; but nobody wants to go now."
Old 10-24-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Our whole economic system is tied to growth (including growth in population) so that is a tough problem to solve.

On the other hand, I think we could cut consumption of bottled water to a small fraction of what it is today even if the population continued to grow and without having any serious consequences on our quality of life.