Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: We Killed the Pacific Ocean

If plastic was the only product made from oil/coal and all plastic was valuable enough to be recycled the world could handle it. FG boats are such a small factor ,no need to feel guilty (although wood is better). A more likely solution will be for the survivors to knit their own shirts from wool from their own goats fed with turnips from their home built garden wheelbarrow .the lucky ones will have sugar beets to make hooch. Other alternative scenarios may be more disruptive of the society we know today. It would be nice if we humans could choose one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

that is just it.. single use plastic is the wrong use for something that never biodegrades.
casey1999 likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 10-28-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ol Man View Post
Jwing and unimacs
What are the little things? Some one in these posts mentioned candy wrapers made of mylar, and plastic bubble packaging. What would happen is several hundred people simply wrote a letter to the company stating I like your product but I will not buy it because it is packaged in a non biodegradable wrapper. Believe me, it will get some attention. If and they probably will send back a letter telling you that their packaging is that way to keep it fresher longer or something to that effect simply tell them that's all well and good but I will eat it in less that a week and a biodegradable wrapper will keep it fresh for a week but the mylar wrapper is still be here a hundred years from now, or something to that effect.

Remember these companies are in bissness to sell their products. They are constantly taking surveys to modify as necessary their product to meet the wants, likes, demands of the customers. Unsolisited comments have a big impact, more than 10 to 1, of company spondsered surveys, a few hundred letters bout the same thing is the equivilant of thousands.

Do the little things now and the bigger things will happen
Good point. I plan to write some letters.

We really need to change all this plastic packaging in use today. Even if some of us reduce, reuse, recycle, there is no way that will offset the impacts of billions of people that do not recycle. The majority of earth's people live in very depressed economic areas. They do not have access to recycle programs- they are just concerned about the day to day struggles to survive.

Last edited by casey1999; 10-28-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Always get a chuckle out of this argument. Too many people and we need to do something about it. You don't need permission to do something about it. If you feel so strongly about it you have the capacity to make us all proud.

But I suspect your actions despite your vigorous call for urgent action will reflect the title of that old country and western song ..."Everybody wants to go to Heaven; but nobody wants to go now."
I can't recall saying that we need to do something about it nor making calls for vigorous action - my view is that there is nothing can be done about it. The top 6 countries in the world comprise half of the total current world population - one of them does not subscribe to the Kyoto Protocol. New Zealand is No. 124 out of 242 and we do. How are we going to help more?

FWIW, I have done something about it - we have one child and our child has one child. But that was done for reasons other than saving the planet - much more selfish ones that just happen coincide with being a treehugger which I am not.

And actually, I don't feel strongly about it - civilisation as we know it is destined to implode but my decendants ten times removed will need to worry about that - it's not going to happen tomorrow morning.

I'm more concerned about a 17-trillion dollar national debt that is out there and is a much more imminent threat for every person on the planet. And that is not ten generations away. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about that either.
smurphny likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-28-2013

scottbr is on a distinguished road

Isn't this thread extremely hypocritical of the threads bashing the Greenpeace movements to stop the whaling and tuna overfishing by the Japanese fishing fleet ???
Old 10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
Isn't this thread extremely hypocritical of the threads bashing the Greenpeace movements to stop the whaling and tuna overfishing by the Japanese fishing fleet ???
How is this thread being hypocritical? I am all for what Greenpeace is doing and have done, but I like Sea Shepherd better.
Old 10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I'm more concerned about a 17-trillion dollar national debt that is out there and is a much more imminent threat for every person on the planet. And that is not ten generations away. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about that either.
I am more worried about plastic pollution as opposed to the US national debt. The Earth can always file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, but it will take us a 1,000 years to recover from the waste we lay on her.
Old 10-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Good point. I plan to write some letters.

We really need to change all this plastic packaging in use today. Even if some of us reduce, reuse, recycle, there is no way that will offset the impacts of billions of people that do not recycle. The majority of earth's people live in very depressed economic areas. They do not have access to recycle programs- they are just concerned about the day to day struggles to survive.
I read an article last year that I cannot find now.. but it was talking about how cheap it is to make things out of plastic now. One of things they mentioned are the ubiquitous plastic chairs that you see all over the place. They are literally too cheap to bother fixing. Even in Third world nations where they have little to no luxury, if one breaks, they throw it away and buy another.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I read an article last year that I cannot find now.. but it was talking about how cheap it is to make things out of plastic now. One of things they mentioned are the ubiquitous plastic chairs that you see all over the place. They are literally too cheap to bother fixing. Even in Third world nations where they have little to no luxury, if one breaks, they throw it away and buy another.
Yea plastics in water suck:
Attached Thumbnails
We Killed the Pacific Ocean-garbage-polluted-creek-003.jpg   We Killed the Pacific Ocean-4187991748_d2d9587393.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Yea plastics in water suck:
Easily fixed - by these people who have apparently been around for a few years now, and others like them: Converting Plastic to Oil

Supposedly their technology works - and their web site claims a conversion ratio for waste plastic into fuel of 86%. Approximately 1 gallon of fuel is extracted from 8.3 lbs. of plastic and they can process up to 4,000 lbs. per hour.

They could make a fortune out of the streams of plastic in the pics you posted.

Last edited by Classic30; 10-28-2013 at 08:52 PM.