Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: We Killed the Pacific Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Yea plastics in water suck:
Those pictures are seriously bumming me out, dude.

Just now I put a 30' by 20' plastic tarp over my boat. It came in plastic packaging. I tied it down with bungie cords from little plastic tubs came in a plastic bag.

Plastic, so awesome, but so forever.

I really hope they get on with developing degradable plastic. We can still use the forever kind for boats and heart valves and stuff, but use the stuff that degrades for packaging and temporary uses.
Old 10-28-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

There is a biodegradable plastic available, but it's tensile strength is garbage. It's made with corn starch, and takes about 6 years to fall apart. And, it needs direct sunlight in order to deteriorate into dust. When buried in a landfill, it lasts forever. The only real benefit of plastic over paper is that it takes up less space in the landfill and you don't have to kill a tree. The manufacturing process of paper wraps is far more costly, more environmental damaging and it too tends to last forever when buried in a landfill. There's an outfit that was featured on the discover channel that found 100 year old newspapers in a NY landfill that were as good as the day they were printed - preserved perfectly by the soil they were encapsulated within. Go figure.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
There is a biodegradable plastic available, but it's tensile strength is garbage. It's made with corn starch, and takes about 6 years to fall apart. And, it needs direct sunlight in order to deteriorate into dust. When buried in a landfill, it lasts forever.
For our 2012 party I bought a bunch of corn starch keg cups for the beer. They're as strong as any petroleum plastic, at least when you're talking about holding beer for one night, and they do seem to be breaking down without sunlight. I put them in a compost pile and they are definitely breaking down. Slowly. Very slowly. I'm 14 months out in this experiment and just turned the pile. The thinnest edge parts are already gone, the thick parts have clouded over and are fragile. I think another year or two and they'll be gone. Anyway, it all goes into my garden.

For this year's party I went with paper cups that are coated with a thin layer of corn plastic. They worked great as beer cups, and are already breaking down into compost. I think they'll be decomposed and in the garden next spring.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 10-29-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Easily fixed - by these people who have apparently been around for a few years now, and others like them: Converting Plastic to Oil

Supposedly their technology works - and their web site claims a conversion ratio for waste plastic into fuel of 86%. Approximately 1 gallon of fuel is extracted from 8.3 lbs. of plastic and they can process up to 4,000 lbs. per hour.

They could make a fortune out of the streams of plastic in the pics you posted.
that sounds like good recycling to me. Might even make it worth while for people to consider recycling all their plastic. I try pretty hard. being single, I put out my trash every two to three weeks (they collect once a week) wether it needs to go out or not.. but I always have a overflowing recycling bins

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 10-29-2013
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

Seems like I struck a raw nerve with the plastic comment. Huh, probably too close to the truth for some of you to hear. I did not say anything about Chineese people not being intelligent. And yes I am very aware of world history. The fact is some people can't separate the past from the future. Whether you have purchased plastic products made in China or anywhere else is HISTORY. (period)...stop and think about what you do TODAY...you can't change history only learn from it.
How about trying this; The next time you're out on your boat pick up a bag of garbage and take it back to the recycle bin. When ( I won't use the word "if") WE do this WE will start to fix the problem. And just maybe someone else will see us doing this and join in.
Old 10-29-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

if the pacific is so dead, why , then, splain me, is it that there are so many lovely fishies answering the lure, and so many different species--has been wonderful eating here......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013
MikeGuyver

The pacific is not 'dead' it is however suffering . Just do what you can to help.
Old 10-29-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGuyver View Post
How about trying this; The next time you're out on your boat pick up a bag of garbage and take it back to the recycle bin. When ( I won't use the word "if") WE do this WE will start to fix the problem. And just maybe someone else will see us doing this and join in.
If groups can "adopt a road" maybe we should start an "adopt a river" program?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 10-29-2013
MikeGuyver

Great idea Art. Oregon has annual beach clean up days. I'll make a few phone calls and see what's going on about the rivers.
Sometimes when we see floating 'stuff' we turn around and use it as MOB practice picking it up, free and kinda fun.
Old 10-29-2013
MikeGuyver

Go here
www.solv.org/what-we-do/oregon-adopt-a-river