SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   We Killed the Pacific Ocean (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104998-we-killed-pacific-ocean.html)

casey1999 10-23-2013 03:42 PM

We Killed the Pacific Ocean

GREG RAY: Ocean story resonates | Newcastle Herald

The ocean is broken

tdw 10-23-2013 04:14 PM

Re: We Killed the Pacific Ocean

Quote:

Originally Posted by casey1999 (Post 1109618)

Casey ..... check out the other thread.

krisscross 10-23-2013 04:14 PM

Human greed and stupidity knows no limit :/

casey1999 10-23-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 1109637)
Casey ..... check out the other thread.

Where is it located?

The Ol Man 10-23-2013 04:34 PM

It isn't just the Pacific, it's all the Oceans, Gulfs, Bays, and waterways around the world.
If you want proof just go to your nearest local water, see it for yourself!
Mankind, in his 'infinite' wisdom has turned almost all the water in the world into a planet wide garbage dump!
But not to worry, mother nature is bigger than man. She is going to throw it back in our face and just like just as she eradicates species that just don't work in her balance of the nature, man will either evolve or she will eradicate us, buried in our own waste.

travlineasy 10-23-2013 05:14 PM

Obviously, the sailor had little or no experience with the commercial fishing industry practices. By catch, or what I refer to as bykill, has always been ramped. In the commercial shrimp industry, particular in North Carolina and the Gulf of Mexico, the bykill ratio is about 100 to 1. Yep, for every pound of shimp, there is about 100 pounds of other species that are killed.

Same holds true for long-liners and trawlers, but the ratio is not nearly as high. It's right up there, and there is nothing that is done with the bykill other than it's tossed overboard. I've seen 20-acre rafts of dead fish behind shrimp boats as their catch is sorted on the deck of the shrimp boat in the morning sun after a night of dragging nets. As the bykill is tossed overboard, various species of gamefish, barracuda, shark, jacks, blackfin tuna, and even dolphin can be seen ripping through the floating carnage.

Gary

jppp 10-23-2013 05:45 PM

We just need to to learn to love Seagull Scalopine.

capta 10-23-2013 05:56 PM

I had a similar experience sailing south from Newport twice and north to Charleston from PR in 2010 and 2011.
These are waters I have sailed at least 40 times on deliveries, north and south (US to/from the Caribbean) between 1979 and 1992, catching fish almost daily.
Results;
2010 south; 2 dolphin both under 16 pounds.
2010 north; 1 bluefin tuna 16 pounds.
2011 south; 2 dolphin both under 12 pounds.
Average trip between 1979 and 1992; 6 or 7 dolphin to 35 pounds plus several tuna up to 30 pounds.
This is the same exact fishing line and same exact lures I used for 25 years, hooking fish whenever we put it in the water.
Also interesting to note; very few flying fish, dolphins, other sea life or birds on all three trips, certainly much, much less than before, even in the Gulfstream.

MarkofSeaLife 10-23-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 1109682)
sailing south from Newport twice and north to Charleston from PR in 2010 and 2011....
very few flying fish, dolphins, other sea life or birds on all three trips, certainly much, much less than before, even in the Gulfstream.

Thats because they LOVE me! Not you!!!

Last year off Norfolk, Virginia, I saw some of the BEST flocks of the lil grey buggers that I've seen anywhere in the world!!!!

here's a couple of photos of the USA ones :)

http://www.ourlifeatsea.com/temp/norfolk.jpg

http://www.ourlifeatsea.com/temp/norfolk2.jpg

These pics are a bit big so take a moment to load... but its worth it because the look HAPPY to me!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

casey1999 10-23-2013 07:43 PM

Mark o sea life,
Just because you see a few dolphins off the east coast means nothing. I sail in waters north of Hawaii and have yet to see Japanese floatsum in the water, and I see dolphins and whales at times. That also means nothing. the Pacific as well as all oceans and waterways around the world are being and have been destroyed. Due to population growth and the demand for marine products from a growing and prosperous asian population, the rate of destruction of the oceans and the Pacific in particular has accelerated at a pace not seen before.

The oceans are being destroyed not only by overfishing and destructive fishing, but also by plastics.