Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
Re: Walker Bay-Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"A corporate "President" may not be at the top. They may be subject to a CEO, a Board of Directors, a separate business owner, possessed by demons...there's a lot of excuses.
We are dealing with semantics here. What "President" doesn't have the ability to act on the behalf of the company on the issue of which we are discussing in this forum? If you want to stay on point with what you wrote, then I guess Harry Truman should have had a "Blame congress and the supreme court" sign on his desk instead of "The buck stops here."
Old 10-24-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Personally, I have a tough time with one-sided undocumented internet slams."
So, the NYS AG's office, announcing that they'd found 25% of all internet "reviews" to be outright frauds from paid reviewers who often have never stepped outside of China or India yet somehow reviewed businesses in NY....might be right?

"What "President" doesn't have the ability to"
Oh heck, who hasn't been unlucky enough to be told "this is how you will do your job" and if you don't like it, there's the door. And ignoring the bosses who do have the power, but would rather raise the profit line and their own bonus. What's the saying, nice guys finish last?

I once worked at a business where the owners (plural) liked to play games. "Do this, right now!" but the other guy said "Don't tell me what he said, I said do this now" and then half an hour later the other owner comes over and says "Why isn't my stuff ready?" well...ask your partner. President? Isn't necessarily the final word. Not that it matters.

Yeah yeah, Benelli (a family business that's a thousand years old), LLBean, 3M, Lands End, there's a nice short list of folks who prove that doing business reputably is good for business in the long term. And then again there's the host of places like Enron and BOA's mortgage department, who proved that crime pays, too.

Business, politics, bedfellows, bedbugs...One never knows until one gets intimate.

Last edited by hellosailor; 10-24-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

My findings re WB, when they shifted there production to south of the border, getting parts, boats, etc went from easy to dang near impossible! I still feel the WB brand of boats, considering what you pay etc, is a decent boat. I would buy one. it is going to be a buyer beware/warranty may be sketchy IMHO. Then again, for a few years, there were some 250-500K boats that had a 15yr warranty, that did not help those buyers either.

Marty
Old 10-25-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
My findings re WB, when they shifted there production to south of the border, getting parts, boats, etc went from easy to dang near impossible! I still feel the WB brand of boats, considering what you pay etc, is a decent boat. I would buy one. it is going to be a buyer beware/warranty may be sketchy IMHO. Then again, for a few years, there were some 250-500K boats that had a 15yr warranty, that did not help those buyers either.

Marty
They did have a good reputation which appears to be going downhill. There's a predictable trend for most companies that produce things. First they make something really good and people flock to buy the good product. Then, the bean counters almost always take over and methodically chisel away quality to gain a few cents, eventually ruining the product's reputation. Few companies have the long-term vision to avoid this "take the money and run" mentality.
Old 10-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The most common cause of a change of quality is the sale of the company to a new owner. The old owner may have long since recovered their R&D, plant investment, startup cost, etc. The new owner now has hundreds of millions invested that they need a return on, where the previous owner didnt. I think this is the cause of Sperry's decline in quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-25-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Are there any other rigid bottom inflatables where the stern folds down so well other than the WBs. For me that's the reason I bought a WB. It's just so nice to pull it up with the spin halyard- lay it on deck- deflate /fold down and secure. It lies so flat upside down with the transom folded that it does not obstruct my vision from the cockpit at all and I'm not worried about losing it to green water. Searched but could find any thing else with features of a bottom that didn't mind a few scratches and had such a low profile. Think things would be different on the customer service side if there was any meaningful competition.
Old 10-25-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The most common cause of a change of quality is the sale of the company to a new owner. The old owner may have long since recovered their R&D, plant investment, startup cost, etc. The new owner now has hundreds of millions invested that they need a return on, where the previous owner didnt. I think this is the cause of Sperry's decline in quality.
Surely, excessive debt brings down quality. That can be seen frequently with small local companies that try to expand too quickly. Many small business owners have not taken business economics 101. It does seem like few business owners have a long-term plan nowadays. They either plan to sell out once a business is established as you describe or go public and become swept up in the quarterly report nightmare. Few remain as individually owned, forward looking companies with a passion for a good product, happy employees and an emphasis on QC.

My Furuno Radar is a perfect example of needless scrimping on quality. The connectors for the dome and power lines are extremely CHEAP. Instead of using a strong .05 cent piece of plastic to make the connectors, they use the cheaper .02 cent version, resulting in brittle, broken connections. Why in hell would any company choose to compromise their rep. to save a few cents? Answer: bean counters, not engineers making the decisions.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-25-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I will just comment here on our tender.

I have owned A West Marine (manufacturer unknown) tender, an Avon by West Marine, An Avon, a Zodiac, and another tender I cannot remember the make of as it was a POS. My current tender for the last several years is a Walker Bay Genesis and that is the best tender I have owned.

I have not had one single issue with it, which may be why I like it so much (have not had your issues to deal with the company), but I really like the tender. Maybe I just got lucky??

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-25-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

and here is CD in his WB singing to his own tune

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-25-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Yeah yeah, Benelli (a family business that's a thousand years old).....
I thought Benelli was not even 50 years old. Are you thinking of Beretta? They have been around since the 1500s or so, still not a thousand years.