Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with tired interior

Ok. After lots of study and thought I have decided to go with a Heresshof white look. So the starboard bulkhead over galley goes white as does the front and near side of galley itself. All trim pieces are solid teak and have been sanded to pure wood. Drawer fronts on galley also get stain varnish. All that will become white has been sanded smooth and roughened to accept paint. All trim is back to wood. I am going to tackle starboard/galley area first with port storage and seating area to come after.

The paint is easy. Tape off and carefully roll/ brush. The teak trim sanded out really nice. I think it could look good. Just not sure next step for teak. Do I use a cleaner as well or is sanding completely smooth with Acetone wipe down enough as prep? Assuming I have it all cleaned off I am thinking go with Helmsman to finish teak. No need to worry about color match as all is back to original color. Port lockers may eventually be slightly lighter in color but I am not worried about small diff. Port is in great shape so just needs light sanding and helmsman. Curious how this plan sounds to folks here?
Attached Thumbnails
Help with tired interior-rps20131025_165055.jpg   Help with tired interior-rps20131025_165010_876.jpg   Help with tired interior-rps20131025_165152.jpg   Help with tired interior-rps20131025_165235.jpg   Help with tired interior-rps20131025_165356.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Saberman, have you tried any of the rubbed on finish? Sound like it is easier to get a good finish with it.
Yes. I was less than clear with my previous answer. I use satin MinWax Wipe On Poly for the flat areas and MinWax Helmsman Urethan in a can for the glossy areas.

Quote:
The teak trim sanded out really nice. I think it could look good. Just not sure next step for teak. Do I use a cleaner as well or is sanding completely smooth with Acetone wipe down enough as prep?
After sanding, wipe with acetone liberally, then apply a single coat of urethane. Do not wait, apply immediately after the acetone dries. Drying of the first coat may take up to 2x longer than subsequent coats. But don't fret, it will go off.
Old 10-25-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I'm sure I'll get flak for this but for the white panels you could cover with formica.
Perfectly smooth and durable when done.
Old 10-25-2013

Quote:
I'm sure I'll get flak for this but for the white panels you could cover with formica.
No flak necessary. It's not really any different than a white fiberglass panel or bulkhead. Our head has several formica bulkheads and cabinets, trimmed with teak. Looks nice.
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-25-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Not to hijack Rybham's thread, but I'm not going with the Herreshoff motif because my cabin already has too much white going on.

I have a total cabin liner that is white. The overhead, the sole, the settee backrests... I have very little wood, so I'm keeping what I got.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-26-2013

Quote:
The paint is easy. Tape off and carefully roll/ brush.
You will find that if you remove the trim and finish each element (trim and cabinetry) separately, the painting and the varnishing will go much, much faster and the result will be far better. You may also wish to give the cabin a really good vacuuming before starting any finish work. Wait at least an hour before applying finish after vacuuming, to let the airborne dust settle. For the same reason, close all the hatches and ports while finishing and leave the boat immediately after applying the finish. In colder weather expect drying times to double.

I would not roll/brush....it's more time consuming in the end for this small a job. Interlux Brightsides flows out beautifully with just a china brush. Just lay enough paint to cover the cabinet and resist the urge to cover completely in one or two coats. Figure on 4-5 coats for a primo job, sanding with 220 and tacking between each coat.

Last edited by Sabreman; 10-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-26-2013

Spent the day finish sanding cleaning and first two coats of Helmsman. Quite pleased with results. Will put third coat on tomorrow and try for white end of the coming week. But so far I am feeling good about the project.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with tired interior-rps20131026_183958_813.jpg   Help with tired interior-rps20131026_184045_710.jpg  
jimgo likes this.
Old 11-02-2013

Not done but coming along. Love the look of the helmsman glossy on teak. Happy too to find so much teak down below. Does the Helmsman varnish hold up on the exterior as well? I am tempted to redo exterior teak with this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with tired interior-rps20131102_193934_908.jpg  
jimgo and Martinjf like this.
Old 11-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

It's for outdoors "spar varnish" has been used forever on boat exteriours. Teak, because it's oily sooner or later will cause any finish to "lift" especially near the edges. It is beautiful though. I have since gone with cetol natural teak on the exterior.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

My boat was easy to revarnish, I literally unscrewed everything, took it home to the garage, sanded things down a bit, then put on IIRC 5-7 coats of spar varnish! I also redid all the vinyl hull lining too. but that is another story.

Marty