SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Nigerian Piracy now too (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105030-nigerian-piracy-now-too.html)

Minnewaska 10-24-2013 06:12 PM

Nigerian Piracy now too

2 seized in pirate attack off Nigeria, U.S. official says - CNN.com

JonEisberg 10-24-2013 06:56 PM

Re: Nigerian Piracy now too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1110134)

The Gulf of Guinea is not on my Bucket List of cruising destinations, fortunately...

Yet another zone of piracy defined by its proximity to the equator? Check...

Fingers crossed for the safe return of the hostages...

benesailor 10-24-2013 09:10 PM

Live Piracy Map

Piracy is a global issue. I have never understood the glamorization of pirates.
Notice how most issues happen between 20 degrees north and 20 degrees south?

benesailor 10-24-2013 09:12 PM

Worldwide Incidents 2013: 206 reported incidents including 11 hijackings.

Somali related incidents 2013: Eleven reported incidents including two hijacking.

Nigeria related incidents 2013: 30 reported incidents including two hijacking.

aa3jy 10-25-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 1110244)

Likewise...seems the latest was a deliberate targeting of Americans. Maybe put some of these so called play acting wannabe pirates on board some of these vessels passing thru these known areas of piracy and see their reaction afterwards..or better yet..use them as ransom payoffs..:cool:

krisscross 10-25-2013 08:38 AM

Maybe instead of wasting hundreds of billions dollars a year chasing bearded Muslims hell bent on living in a Medieval way in their own land, our military could put an end to high seas piracy?

JonEisberg 10-25-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa3jy (Post 1110374)
Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Likewise...seems the latest was a deliberate targeting of Americans. Maybe put some of these so called play acting wannabe pirates on board some of these vessels passing thru these known areas of piracy and see their reaction afterwards..or better yet..use them as ransom payoffs..:cool:

You're referring primarily to the popularity of the Disney PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN franchise, I presume? What's so "hard to understand" about $3.7 billion in worldwide box office sales?

Seriously, you don't really believe Johnny Depp, or his fictional character Jack Sparrow, has served as an 'inspiration' for Somali or Nigerian piracy, do you?

On the other hand, perhaps they're all Paul Cayard wannabes? :-)

miatapaul 10-25-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1110436)
You're referring primarily to the popularity of the Disney PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN franchise, I presume? What's so "hard to understand" about $3.7 billion in worldwide box office sales?

Seriously, you don't really believe Johnny Depp, or his fictional character Jack Sparrow, has served as an 'inspiration' for Somali or Nigerian piracy, do you?

On the other hand, perhaps they're all Paul Cayard wannabes? :-)

I agree, I think this obsession against the fictional historic pirates is a bit overboard. I don't think many are inspired to be bank robbers by Bonnie and Clyde movies, or to become mobsters by movies like the Godfather. Lots of bad guys get glorified. Keep in mind too that the glorification of pirates is more of a celebration of a society that never really existed. Sure some of the names are real, but there representations are not. It is a celebration of a fictional world, not of today's version.

nolatom 10-25-2013 10:57 AM

This is an Edison Chouest ship, a company with many Navy contacts and contracts for sophisticated ‘research’ stuff. I am sure the Captain, Chief, and ship will get quick attention from the right people—any company would, but especially Chouest..

Plus, I’m thinking the Prez is looking for *some* executive decision to turn out right for a change lately (just as did the Captain Phillips episode on the MAERSK ALABAMA when he acted boldly), and this might just be it. So im thinking it will get the highest attention.

Also the Nigerians may be less whacked-out than the Somali pirates in decision-making.

This is also a "Louisiana ship", so it gets much press down here. Sen. Mary Landrieu will also be very tuned in to this, Vitter too.

Best wishes and prayers for these two men, and the remaining crew.