SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Last battle between sailing vessels

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  smurphny 
#1 ·
I do not remember where I read this but one of the very last naval battles of WW2 was between 2 sailing vessels. They were Junks in China, one carrying Japanese soldiers leaving China and another carrying U.S. marines. The japanese got too uppity and attacked the marines. The marines happened to be armed with a bazooka.

#2 ·
Ive been reading some about single ship battles between sailing vessels and I find it very cool stuff. Apart from the engagemments themselves, the majesty as well as barbarity of the occasions add a different kind of appreciation for sailing and living aboard a sailboat. Sometimes when im racing I imagine what it would be like to not be chasing them to pass, but chasing them to board! Argh!

#4 ·
Royal navies (US, Brit, Dutch, French, and Spanish) had certain rules of engagement.

For example: if two ships are approaching the one that is seeking to make aggression can run up another nations colors to pretend to be an ally. They just have to run up their real colors before they fire. Also, it was looked at as cowardice to signal your vessel was in need of asisstance as a ploy to lure an enemy in among just a few of the "rules."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.