Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013

mananamon is on a distinguished road
Re: " All Is Lost" movie

The biggest mistake I see is that they must have only made three copies of if. The closest location I found to me (here in St. Louis, MO) is Chicago!

And mistakes in Captain Ron? How could that be? Well this is one, the line about "a diesel likes oil like a sailor likes his rum". My diesel doesn't burn that much oil.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So after spending all day yesterday sailing/racing... (mid 50's, 18-20 knots of wind) we're driving home and the wife says, Hey, maybe we can find where ALL IS LOST is playing and catch it.
Just made the show. Almost full theatre.
Now that is a great wife, after sailing all day in the cold, she wants to see a movie about sailing! Good choice there.
sailordave likes this.
Old 10-27-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Saw the movie with my wife yesterday. I thought it was very good. Not standard movie fare..

We hung out at the end and watched the credits. I realized that the only ones waiting to see the credits at the end were fellow sailors.

So we chatted a bit.. Met Cal 27 owners from B.C., and an O'Day daysailer owner who just moved to Seattle. That was fun.

When you see the movie, see if you can spot the crane lifting point located on the starboard side in at least one shot!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 10-27-2013

Oh.. I would also like to say that while some it it was pretty unrealistic, some things were dead on.

Pay attention carefully to how he winds up with the sextant. That was exactly the same as the way my father got his during his circumnavigation.

Not to spoil it, but I love how he deals with the card!

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 10-27-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Now that is a great wife, after sailing all day in the cold, she wants to see a movie about sailing! Good choice there.
Yep. I made out w/ this one. Definitely married "up"!
Old 10-28-2013

Mirari is on a distinguished road

Saw "All is Lost" last night. I had to drive a considerable distance. Overall I was disappointed, especially after hearing the hype and seeing the trailer. Of course we as sailors see all the errors but this one had so many it was almost comical. The special effects other than a few scenes lask authenticity. The sailor Redford played was woefully unskilled, the boat was a POS and not set up for offshore sailing in any way, his emergency equipment or lack there of was pathetic. One would be asking for certain death if they were sailing off into the unknown with Redford's boat equiped the way it was. I'd be curious how many other Sailnet subscribers saw it and what they thought.
Old 10-28-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I guess that sailors of the last 100 years, who lacked modern safety equipment and "offshore" vessels were "pathetic" too, then.

I'm glad that Columbus and Magellan didn't let that stop them.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleheadMd For This Useful Post:
Kalina-Lona (01-06-2014)
Old 10-28-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirari View Post
Saw "All is Lost" last night.....The sailor Redford played was woefully unskilled, the boat was a POS and not set up for offshore sailing in any way, his emergency equipment or lack there of was pathetic. One would be asking for certain death if they were sailing off into the unknown with Redford's boat equiped the way it was. I'd be curious how many other Sailnet subscribers saw it and what they thought.
I can't comment in with any authority on this since I have not seen the movie, but from what I have read it is supposed to be be loosely based on the book 'Adrift', which is the true story of Steven Callahan who spent 76 days in a life raft after his Transat boat sank in 1981.

While Callahan was a very experienced sailor, for some reason the movie folks chose to make the Redford character a comparatively new sailor and the boat a stock coastal racer-cruiser.

I don't know when in time the movie is set, but if it is set during the early 1980's, the lack of safety devices, or the lack of an offshore cruiser would not be all that surprising, and would be authentic to that point in time. These days we are used to even small boats with very sophisticated equipment. But things were very different in the early 1980's.

There certainly were purpose built cruisers back then, but sailors routinely went offshore in what they owned, and with minimal modifications. Before the internet there simply were not these kinds of discussions. It was "run what ya brung" and lots of folks did. People would do all kinds of distance cruising in boats which by any modern standard were just plan poor offshore cruisers.

Similarly basic safey gear that we think of today was almost unknown. Hardly anyone wore harnesses.

Navigational and safety electrionics were largely absent. It was a big deal to have a VHF radio, let alone single-sideband. There was no such thing as GPS back then and Loran was prohibitively expensive and you needed to be near shore to use it. We did have RDF's which on a small boat gave you a pretty big triangle where the boat was supposely located. Epirbs existed but were wildly expensive and in my circles quite rare except on offshore race boats. We still used wind-up chronometers to tell time for use with the sextant for navigational purposes. You calculated the known error on the chronometer and wound it every day at the same time so that that error would remain constant. You tried to get a radio time check every couple days and log the error and reset the chronometer from that.

So I would not necessarily say that the POS boat or lack of safety gear was unrealistic. It might be, but depending on the era (or the error), it might not. It may just be different times.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 10-28-2013

The movie appeared to be set in in the present time, if you base that assumption on some of the marine electronics that were aboard. The VHF seemed modern. Battery was AGM.

Since three donor Cal 39s were used for the movie, I expect most of the equipment came from them.

Seemed to me to be a good representation of what someone would wind up with if they wanted to do blue water cruising on a budget.

(The boat was registered in Portland, I think, and the story takes place in the Indian Ocean)

I'd also say that my father accomplished his circumnavigation in the 1990s with similar equpment.

Old 10-28-2013

billsull is on a distinguished road

In some ways, I think we suffer as movie-goers by bringing a sailor's perspective into the theater to see All Is Lost. To expect to see an able sailor aboard a well-found vessel is really to ask to see a different movie.

IMHO, this really isn't a movie about sailing, it's about a man. A man who's background, timeframe and character is only hinted at. Indeed, the backstory is so spare that we don't even know his name. On this blank canvas, I projected the following (no spoilers below):

Our man leaves in his wake, some sort of essential failure in his life. The few words we hear him speak are an acknowledgement of, and apology for, past sins. There is a suggestion that at one point, he was well acquainted with the bottle. It looked to me like he was greeting an old friend/demon with the drink we see him take on board. Maybe alcohol was a factor - we'll never know.

He makes many mistakes. That isn't a sign of a bad screenplay or bad directing / acting. It's a depiction of real life. I know how many mistakes that I make just messing about in my coastwise forays. Add a few more decades of punishment to my body and mind and put me in the middle of the Indian Ocean and I'm sure I'd make more mistakes than our man did and it would be a very short movie.

He's obviously on the far side of middle age. A time when all of us take stock of where we are and what we'd like to do before we check out. Perhaps this man had always wanted to go to sea but the opportunity never presented itself until late in his life. Maybe he's running away from the failure mentioned above and dropping the lines and sailing away seemed like a better choice than any other option that he had in front of him at the time. In any event, when he shoved off, he left with the skills and boat that he possessed at the time - none of us could do any more. To wait for more skill, more gear or a better boat is to defer the voyage and our man felt like he had to go when he did.

That brought him (and us) to a lonely spot in the ocean. I enjoyed the story that was told there.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.