Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: " All Is Lost" movie

From Wikipedia:

"In addition to there being only one actor in the film, Redford also stated that the film has no dialogue, however there are a few spoken lines.[7] Because of these aspects, the shooting scrip was only 31 pages long.[5]"

Cannot knock the film too much, it only cost $8.5 million to make and has grossed nearly $100 mil. Who says yachting is expensive? This is one of the cheapest films to make in history and it is getting positive reviews.
TejasSailer likes this.

Last edited by casey1999; 10-28-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Haven't seen the movie yet but I definitely plan to. Do people really think that what you see in the movies is real life? If you see a movie that deals in some way with anything you know really well, you'll probably be able to poke holes in it. And you'll probably ruin your movie experience in the process.
Old 10-28-2013

ragzamoto is on a distinguished road

Since this is a sailing forum not a movie forum I would like to comment on this movie.
I went to see the movie with my wife and our friends. My wife and I are sailors have been for 20 years together and I have sailed for 40 plus and have logged a lot of sea miles and made my mistakes lord knows and paid for them.
Half way through the movie my wife had had enough not from so much the glaring mistakes but from the actual brutal endless trashing the por sot was getting she is sensitive and this was not the right movie for a fun evining out.
Our friends are pretty new to sailing and I had told them about this movie and hoped it would be a good sea movie . They are new to Blue water sailing, enjoying their new to them Hans Christian with the hope of some blue water sailing.
We held on for a while my wife I knew was ok to wait it out or go across the street and vist the book store but I had to finally give up when the rummy sailer whatever his name was we never know, started fishing around for the right silverware before departing a vessel that had stayed afloat for the night. Actually been pretty forgiving Hmmmmmm. But that was the last straw. I had over looked the container ramming the hull in a calm sea and bashing in the stbd side. I over looked the guy carefully putting things away while water is pouring into his boat. Man I can evan enjoy his mysterious trip up the mast to mess with the VHF . Between storms and his joy rides in and out of the boat . But when he got into the Raft I knew I was in watching a looser and I do not want to know what he says!

Seriously love all things to do with the sea and was so looking forward to this . Guess Ill hear how it ends but dont much care!
opc11 likes this.
Old 10-28-2013

opc11 is on a distinguished road

Kind of funny it's available in land-locked AZ but not some states that border the coastline. Going to see it in a few hours. Very much looking forward to it.
Old 10-28-2013

Mirari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I can't comment in with any authority on this since I have not seen the movie, but from what I have read it is supposed to be be loosely based on the book 'Adrift', which is the true story of Steven Callahan who spent 76 days in a life raft after his Transat boat sank in 1981.

While Callahan was a very experienced sailor, for some reason the movie folks chose to make the Redford character a comparatively new sailor and the boat a stock coastal racer-cruiser.

I don't know when in time the movie is set, but if it is set during the early 1980's, the lack of safety devices, or the lack of an offshore cruiser would not be all that surprising, and would be authentic to that point in time. These days we are used to even small boats with very sophisticated equipment. But things were very different in the early 1980's.

There certainly were purpose built cruisers back then, but sailors routinely went offshore in what they owned, and with minimal modifications. Before the internet there simply were not these kinds of discussions. It was "run what ya brung" and lots of folks did. People would do all kinds of distance cruising in boats which by any modern standard were just plan poor offshore cruisers.

Similarly basic safey gear that we think of today was almost unknown. Hardly anyone wore harnesses.

Navigational and safety electrionics were largely absent. It was a big deal to have a VHF radio, let alone single-sideband. There was no such thing as GPS back then and Loran was prohibitively expensive and you needed to be near shore to use it. We did have RDF's which on a small boat gave you a pretty big triangle where the boat was supposely located. Epirbs existed but were wildly expensive and in my circles quite rare except on offshore race boats. We still used wind-up chronometers to tell time for use with the sextant for navigational purposes. You calculated the known error on the chronometer and wound it every day at the same time so that that error would remain constant. You tried to get a radio time check every couple days and log the error and reset the chronometer from that.

So I would not necessarily say that the POS boat or lack of safety gear was unrealistic. It might be, but depending on the era (or the error), it might not. It may just be different times.

Jeff
Jeff,
A few notes the Movie does actually take place in modern times. If it did take place in the 80's he would certainly know how to do celestial navigation rather than teach himself in the life raft. Obvious from the electroncs in the movie that this voyage happened post 2007 from the looks of them.

About your comments of sailing in the 80s. I took my first long distance offshore trip in my 23 footer in 1983 when I was a 20 something year old with not a lot of money. I used a cheap sextant, a Timex wristwatch and a cheap time cube from Radio Shack to get WWV Time signals. I consistently could get a fix, weather permitting within 1-2 miles. I could not afford Loran or GPS, which contrary to your statement did exist but you had to wait up to 6 hours sometimes to get a positive fix due to not enough satelites being in orbit. I'm not sure why you think they were "wildly expensive"? EPIRBS then where actually very affordadable. My first EPIRB was $200 purchased in 1984 from Defender. Turnout to be the best $200 ever spent as I rolled and sank my boat 300 miles from the nearest land. Thanks to the EPIRB I was picked up by a freighter headed across the pond to Rotterdam the following day. I was one of the 1st 100 people saved thanks to the 1st version of the modern EPIRB.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-28-2013

If I am not mistaken I thought I saw a chart plotter?
Old 10-28-2013

Mirari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzamoto View Post
If I am not mistaken I thought I saw a chart plotter?
I saw one as well. It looked like a Raymarine to me. The sextant was a Celestaire Astra. I have the identical one myself
Old 10-28-2013

Thanks I thought so ,Could someone explain how a container that rips into the side of the boat doesn't wake you up.......and then doesn't rip the rail and deck off as it rolls . Actually the only smart thing he did was throw that crappy WEST MARINE boat hook away that was great !
opc11 likes this.
Old 10-29-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

If they aren't choosing to show this sailing movie in Annapolis (which it appears to be the case) then where?
Old 10-29-2013

Washington Dc is where I saw it.