Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013
navigator

foamy is on a distinguished road
Just like war movies

As a kid I played army and watched war movies. Then I spent two years "serving" my country during a war where the young men and women of the lower classes of society protected the privileged young men and women of society from having to be involved (but that's another story).

Anyway, after my time, no war movies were very real or authentic having been trained in two combat MOSs. I could pick apart all the BS very easily in the infantry movies. But I still watched them. So being a life long sailor who has had a life long history of errors and omissions, I will enjoy the movie anyway.
Ranthra likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road
Re: " All Is Lost" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirari View Post
Saw "All is Lost" last night. I had to drive a considerable distance. Overall I was disappointed, especially after hearing the hype and seeing the trailer. Of course we as sailors see all the errors but this one had so many it was almost comical. The special effects other than a few scenes lask authenticity. The sailor Redford played was woefully unskilled, the boat was a POS and not set up for offshore sailing in any way, his emergency equipment or lack there of was pathetic. One would be asking for certain death if they were sailing off into the unknown with Redford's boat equiped the way it was. I'd be curious how many other Sailnet subscribers saw it and what they thought.
I saw it and had a different take on it. Note that I have no blue water experience whatsoever.

Although there are things I questioned as a sailor (waiting until he found himself in the worst of the storm before putting up a storm jib for example), he struck me and I think most of the audience as capable, resilient, and resourceful.

There are some hints even to non-sailors that perhaps his boat and its safety gear wasn't quite up to snuff. He had to fashion a handle to use the manual bilge pump (which seemed to be less effective than a decent bucket).

To me that is reality though. There are probably thousands of boats on the seas right now with missing safety equipment and in some degree of disrepair. There are probably skippers and crew who have little or no experience in dealing with an actual emergency.

The background pic on my phone is a photo I took about 3 years ago at a gathering of tall ships in Duluth, MN (Lake Superior). It shows several crew members crawling around the rigging of one of the ships against a blue sky. I remember thinking at the time that that would be about the best job ever.

Though I've wondered in the last year or so which ship it actually was, I never bothered to figure it out until today when I was reminded that the Bounty sank a year ago. I believe it is in fact the Bounty (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The picture below is the original. None of the deck or hull is visible on my phone. Anyway, the reason I mention that in this thread is that the sinking has been largely attributed to bad decision making and poor maintenance.

Last edited by unimacs; 10-29-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Can someone in France, Australia, and/or New Zealand comment on how the film is being received there? These countries have a much larger pool of blue water sailors and their take on the film would be interesting. Seeing the film apparently only has a couple of spoken lines, it should be a simple matter to translate.
Old 10-29-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well from the critical response I would be very surprised if it is not in bigger release very soon. So if it is not in theaters near you, likely it will be soon. I look forward to it, but not sure if the rest of my family should see it! Perhaps I will go alone, kind of like the Redford character.
Old 10-29-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Hard to say, Paul.. it's not a "fun" movie. But I thought it was a great movie.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 10-29-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Showing at Angelika in Fairfax, VA E Street Cinema in DC
Old 10-29-2013
landofrainandgray

joyinPNW is on a distinguished road

I found the movie, but not Robert Redford, agonizing to watch. He's perfectly cast in this role as an aged and stoic sailor. There were many details that veteran sailors might have gripes with, but overall, the movie was thought-provoking. We talked a lot after the movie about what we might have done in similar circumstances.

I made the mistake of seeing it one week after seeing Gravity--I feel as if I've been through the ringer!
Folie a Deux
Old 10-29-2013

WhistlerMark is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend who is new to sailing (with me in particular) has insisted I go see this with a friend. I was actually relieved that she was the one to say that ;o)

Last edited by WhistlerMark; 10-29-2013 at 10:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhistlerMark For This Useful Post:
hangupndrive (11-08-2013)
Old 10-29-2013

opc11 is on a distinguished road

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT!

Awful! that's all I can say. No opportunity to be sold on the lifestyle or why he's out there. It would have made great contrast to the disaster at sea. I found it totally unrealistic and an exercise in everything I wouldn't expect to do. Poorly equipped blue water boat, poor decisions by the skipper at every turn. (his boat is sinking so he decides to take a break and shave??) Waits til he's knee deep in a major storm to set his storm jib. Don't get me started on his initial reaction to the water streaming in. Zero urgency whatsoever. It seemed every time there was a major event the guy was sleeping. Completely absurd is all I can say.

I was soooooooo looking forward to this movie. ..and the ending was as stupid as the beginning. Whomever said there was 30+ pages of dialog overestimated by 29 pages. BUMMER!
Old 10-30-2013
Thistle Dew

Thistle Dew is on a distinguished road

Went to see the movie on the weekend. While watching the credits we met a very gregarious sailor (Djoenda??)
Best part of the movie
Thanks for the chat

(the Cal couple from BC)

BTW- nice boat!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow