Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

LaurenceU is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LaurenceU
Re: " All Is Lost" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Can someone in France, Australia, and/or New Zealand comment on how the film is being received there? These countries have a much larger pool of blue water sailors and their take on the film would be interesting. Seeing the film apparently only has a couple of spoken lines, it should be a simple matter to translate.
I don't believe the film will be shown here in Australia till late Feb 2014. I've seen the trailer. I certainly won't be queuing up to watch it. perhaps on a long flight after I've exhausted all other possibilities.
Old 10-30-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle Dew View Post
Went to see the movie on the weekend. While watching the credits we met a very gregarious sailor (Djoenda??)
Best part of the movie
Thanks for the chat

(the Cal couple from BC)

BTW- nice boat!!!
Guilty as charged...

It was nice visiting with you.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Potential SPOILER,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Maybe they have and I missed the post.

But, his initial "sos" call was made while he had a perfectly functioning sailboat. It was holed, and he repaired it, didn't have electronics but, the boat was operational. I'm guessing he knew the general direction he wanted to go even without charts or electronics he could have sailed to safety. Why did he attempt his Mayday call when he did?.

Honestly I don't pick movies apart that much. They are made for a general audience, people who don't know proper radio procedure for instance.

I thought the movie was a bit slow, entertaining and thought provoking though. For instance, trying to figure out his back story. Was he running away? That sort of thing interests me more than what life jacket he was or wasn't wearing.
Old 10-30-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Potential SPOILER,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Maybe they have and I missed the post.

But, his initial "sos" call was made while he had a perfectly functioning sailboat. It was holed, and he repaired it, didn't have electronics but, the boat was operational. I'm guessing he knew the general direction he wanted to go even without charts or electronics he could have sailed to safety. Why did he attempt his Mayday call when he did?.

Honestly I don't pick movies apart that much. They are made for a general audience, people who don't know proper radio procedure for instance.

I thought the movie was a bit slow, entertaining and thought provoking though. For instance, trying to figure out his back story. Was he running away? That sort of thing interests me more than what life jacket he was or wasn't wearing.
It's been almost a week since I've seen it so I'm not quite sure on the chronology. Anyway, even though he did patch the hole I personally wouldn't have had much faith in that repair and I believe it ultimately did fail.

Also after losing all electronic navigation aides, attempting to get some help seemed to be the wise course of action, especially since the radio was also only marginally working.

I actually thought it was cool that no back story was provided and you had to fill in the blanks yourself.
Old 10-30-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
I actually thought it was cool that no back story was provided and you had to fill in the blanks yourself.
I guess that is what I was trying to say.
Old 10-30-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Redford fretted about 'All Is Lost' reception - StamfordAdvocate

From above:

Redford fretted about 'All Is Lost' reception
LAURI NEF, Associated Press
By LAURI NEFF, Associated Press
Updated 10:37 am, Friday, October 18, 2013
1 of 3.
View: Larger | Hide .
Redford got a standing ovation when his new film “All is Lost” premiered at the Cannes film festival in May. But in an interview Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2013, the Oscar-winning actor revealed he was nervous how the sometimes prickly Cannes crowds would react to the film, in which he is the sole actor, with virtually no dialogue.

He’s been in the business more than half a decade but even Redford still gets nervous showing off a new film. But in an interview Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2013, the Oscar-winning actor revealed he was nervous how the sometimes prickly Cannes crowds would react to the film, in which he is the sole actor, with virtually no dialogue.

"The first time I saw the film was at the festival in Cannes and because they boo films there sometimes, even though you're in a tuxedo, you're sitting in a place that could boo something," said the 77-year-old actor. "When the film ended I thought, 'I don't know how this is going to go.' I really didn't."

Redford also said his first viewing of the film, in which he's the only actor, recalled the extreme demands of the role. "To be reminded of how wet you were so much of the time, which was not fun ... you kind of forgot about how physical it was and that comes back."

Redford recently sat down with The Associated Press to talk about "All Is Lost," a film with virtually no talking at all:

AP: What did you think of your performance?

Redford: I looked at my performance because I couldn't avoid it, (laughs), but no, it wasn't wow it was just, 'Yeah, I remember that. I remember that; hmm. Oh, that's what that ended up looking like.' (Redford says he doesn't look at monitors or dailies while shooting because "I don't like being aware of myself when I'm working.)

AP: During filming did you ever wonder, 'Whoa, what did I get myself into?'

Redford: I was so busy surviving that there wasn't a whole lot of time to think. You just had to do. You had to be there do it as an actor. You had to get through it. There were a couple of times when I thought, 'Hmm, this is extreme,' but you just do it and then you forget about thinking that.

AP: That works for the part.

Redford: It was what was supposed to be. The character is in charge of things in the beginning and then things happen where he's not so much in charge. He's a little bit in charge but not much and then finally he's completely not in charge. He's at the mercy of the elements and then what you do? I found that exciting as an actor to go through that process. ... You finally get to the point where there's only improvisation. There's nothing left except improvise 'cause you're not prepared for what's happening.

AP: I read that you pressed director J.C. Chandor for a backstory and he wasn't having any of it.

Redford: I just do what any actor says, 'OK, there's not much dialogue, in fact there is none, there's very little backstory, so what's on your mind? Is there something I need to know as an actor?' And when he was evasive, I started to get nervous. 'Does he not know how to describe his own film?' Until I realized, no, this is intentional. He's intentionally being evasive - meaning that what's in there is all he wants to be in there and once I got that I released that tendency to ask that.

AP: Is there a message?

Redford: I've always been fascinated by that point in life for everyone —there comes a moment when all seems to be lost, when there's nothing more to do. You can't do anything more. You're up against the odds that are against you and there seems to be no way out, all is lost, no point in continuing and so some people quit and they stop and others for unknown reasons just keep going because that's all there is to do.
Old 10-30-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

I would love to see the ******.

Not sure why it blocked the word

How about this...

s
c
r
i
p
t

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 10-30-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: censorship!
Old 10-30-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post

How about this...

s
c
r
i
p
t
I have not seen the movie yet. But geussing it is somthing like:
Sheet,.....Sheet, Oh Sheet. Sheet.
Old 10-31-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

The thing I noticed the most was how the director never cut away to reverse shots. There were times when I just wanted to know: which sails were up? How high were the seas? But Chandor made it clear- this movie is about Our Man. Not sailing. Not emergency preparedness. Not gear or technique. Just him. He is in virtually every shot. I could understand not liking the movie because you don't have empathy toward Our Man, but to sit there and **** on the film because you think the Cal is not seaworthy (and other such technical nonsense) is saying to people: "I have an impossible standard to meet, yet I will still spend $12.50 and three hours of my time so that I can criticize something that will probably go over my head anyway."
Old 11-01-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post

How about this...

s
c
r
i
p
t
Well I don't think that is what the admin should have meant by "block any scripts from running on the web page!