Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013

DearPrudence is on a distinguished road
Re: " All Is Lost" movie

Not showing ANYWHERE in Ohio...wtf!!
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2013
<----- thinking of this

JSL3 is on a distinguished road

I saw the movie about a week ago and very much enjoyed it. I agree with the others that describe it as a great story that happens to be set on a sailboat out on the ocean. If you are going to see it solely for accuracy of the sailing piece, you'll likely be disappointed. That said it was pretty accurate in most of what it conveyed. For me, I really liked the story and the acting (who knows but Redford could win his first acting Oscar for this one). The fact that most of the story occurred on a sailboat and showed a single handed sailor doing many of the mundane things we all do aboard (and later in the movie not so mundane emergency procedures) I thought was incredibly unique for a feature film.
They also serve beer/wine at my local theater Ė whatís not to like about the whole experience?
Old 11-01-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL3 View Post
Redford could win his first acting Oscar for this one).
I agree- the moment he yells "Fuuuuuuuuu*&!" should be long remembered in cinematic lore.
davidpm likes this.
Old 11-02-2013

upshift is on a distinguished road

SPOILER ALERT:
The movie is playing in land locked Albuquerque and I saw it today.
I feel the backstory and the opening “sorry” letter don’t suggest an earlier sin but a simple sorry to his family about letting them down and his inevitable disappearance at sea. He was getting up in years and probably had to set out on his ambitious adventure without his wife’s complete consent (his ring finger is shown often in the film).
My main criticism with the film is the lack of dialogue. If you woke up (sleeping in the v berth for some reason) to knee deep water, you’re going to spring to life yelling WTF!?!?! You’d be running around yelling at every bird, fish, cloud or winch handle. I don’t care who you are. I don’t care how seasoned, or green, you are, you’re going to freak out realizing your boat, in the middle of an ocean, is half full of water.
See Tom Hanks in Castaway for a better depiction of solo living.
My one other concern on the film is that he didn’t have a bucket. Seriously, it would be the first thing I’d grab. I won’t comment on how a sea anchor rolls over a shipping container in a flat sea or how easily he retrieves said sea anchor.
I REALLY wish the camera would have pulled back when Redford was up the mast. I think showing a solitary man atop the mast in the center of the ocean would really have made a statement.
ragzamoto likes this.
Old 11-02-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

...or how sail ties magically appear on the main after he drops it.
...or how the vhf antenna spontaneously disconnects up at the masthead after the impact w/ the container.
...or why he needs a wrench to tighten the antenna fitting
...or how he takes the time to shave before raising his storm sails
...or how the sail on deck never seems to flap around in the middle of a storm
...or how he decides to disassemble the vhf on the deck rather than in the cockpit
...or how he tests the reassembled vhf without connecting it to the antenna
...or why the genoa was furled while he was working on the radio
...or how he doesn't seem to have a electric bilge pump
...or how he happens to have an almanac for celestial navigation data in his brand new unopened sextant box.
...or why he decided to do a tedious fiberglass hull repair rather than screw a cabinet door or something over the hole
...or how the impact never woke him up
...or how the impact even made a hole when the boat was barely even moving
...or why the life raft was stowed all the way forward in the cabin instead of on deck
...or why he didnt replace the cabin washboards in the storm
...or where was the EPIRB
...or why was he steering when he had the wind vane (in calm and in the storm)
...and where did he get that magical bosun's chair (do they really exist?)
...and don't even get me started about "This is an SOS call..."
...or how a west marine boat hook bent too easily... oh wait, strike that.
fryewe, Andrew65 and ragzamoto like this.

Last edited by weinie; 11-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Again, WTF that this movie is not showing in te Annapolis area. This is where a no dialogue movie about sailing might do well.
ragzamoto likes this.
Old 11-11-2013

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

My wife and I saw the movie this weekend at a theater that just plays Independent movies towards Richmond. We enjoyed the movie. Once it was over, my wife and I started to pick the movie apart, mainly how unprepared he was as the storm was approaching. I think shaving would not be my concern, more so putting up the storm jib now and not in the middle of the storm. We joked on how the Sail mag would pick apart the event in their articles when they state what went right and what went wrong article. We have an excuse, we tend to pick apart things, for the good or bad but every movie will have some inaccuracies and it was well worth the wait. Years ago, I had a close friend who raced cars for a living. We watched a awful movie about car racing. I stated to him, "you must be upset, this movie seems unrealistic in many areas of racing" His response was "it's about racing cars, how can go wrong with that." I believe the movie is mainly about being alone where no one can help you or willing to help you, being resilient to disappointments and setbacks, and bouncing back, and yes, has some sailing in it, how can you go wrong with that.
davidpm likes this.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 11-11-2013

ragzamoto is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: " All Is Lost" movie

OMG
This is a sailing forum come on folks.... its fun to poke fun at this stupidly done sailing movie about a deeply flawed man that has run away to sea in an ill equipped boat with no skill . But since I walked out when he was searching around in the the silverware draw while his boat is sinking I guess I will never find out why he was so interested in finding out where he was when he could not do a damn thing about it . I guess the folks in Hollywood were smart enough to know not put it in any sailing areas untill it got enough steam to blow through the flawed technical aspects .

I think Captain Ron is the best sailing movie ever!!!!!
Old 11-11-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzamoto View Post
OMG
This is a sailing forum come on folks.... its fun to poke fun at this stupidly done sailing movie about a deeply flawed man that has run away to sea in an ill equipped boat with no skill . But since I walked out when he was searching around in the the silverware draw while his boat is sinking I guess I will never find out why he was so interested in finding out where he was when he could not do a damn thing about it . I guess the folks in Hollywood were smart enough to know not put it in any sailing areas untill it got enough steam to blow through the flawed technical aspects .

I think Captain Ron is the best sailing movie ever!!!!!
Actually I think fetching a can opener was pretty critical since a bunch of his food was canned (as I recall).

The sextant enabled him to track his drift into the shipping lanes. It was important to the movie but yeah, I'm not sure it's risking your life over, especially since he was only drifting and not navigating.

And since we're talking about it, I'm not all that sure he was deeply flawed. The back story was intentionally vague. You either like the story you create in your head or you don't.

Just last night I was listening to a radio program about dying well. They made the point that one "good" thing about having a terminal illness is that it gives you an opportunity to repair and/or enhance your relationships. There are 4 key sentences at that time in your life: I love you, I forgive you, Thank you, and I'm sorry.

Redford's opening monologue covered the "I'm sorry" part. Anyway, I only took it to mean that he made mistakes in his life like we all do, not that he was deeply flawed or that he was running away. The sextant appeared to be a gift since there was a card along with it. His boat also looked pretty lived in with a bunch of books. In spite of his mistakes, I don't think we were supposed to be left with the impression that he was a complete novice.
Old 11-12-2013

BobnCamie is on a distinguished road

Who really cares what crap Hollywood puts out, and for one,I would not walk across the street to watch that tree-hugging redford do anything, especially make money off of me!