Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
Re: " All Is Lost" movie

I just saw it like an hour or two ago. I think if you go into the movie expecting a sailing movie you are going to have the reactions many on this thread have had he didnt do that this is dumb this is stupid but if you go into it looking for a piece of moving artwork and appreciate it as a movie and see the underlying ideas being communicated and look at the acting it was a very good movie.

There were some glaring errors and some things sailors would;t due but that is only because as sailor's we know alot about seamanship, but this movie isn't about sailing. not really. The movie is about survival it is about the capacity for humans to understand and empathize with another human without words. that is a powerful message and it is one of the main things that the director was communicating.

The movie also is very powerful in portraying the many angles of the human psyche in survival situations. It's interesting. That being siad yes there are some errors but those were needed to make the movie more sensational and some of them are so that the story would be more interesting for example, no one in there right mind sleeps in the v berth at sea.
seafrontiersman likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

The problem is the act of noticing the errors immediately takes you out of the experience of the movie.
That is what ruined it for some of us.
Old 11-24-2013

mananamon is on a distinguished road

Saw it the other day and my read is that as a sailing movie it leaves a lot on the table but as a movie about a man against the ropes it was very moving. I was surprised by the ending (not spoiling it for anyone).

The funniest thing is that there were only four of us at the Thrusday afternoon show and three of us were sailors! Afterward we were talking about it and we all agreed that we would have handled it differently and better (of course).
Old 01-03-2014

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

Just saw it. It struck me as being done on the cheap actually. If a tv show like the Deadliest Catch can give you shots of boats in the Bering Sea, you would think a Hollywood movie could at least do the same. It seamed like it was all shot in a stage/water tank.
benesailor likes this.
Old 01-03-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Loved it. Far better portrayal of human life than most movies out there.
mattt likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Just saw it. It struck me as being done on the cheap actually. If a tv show like the Deadliest Catch can give you shots of boats in the Bering Sea, you would think a Hollywood movie could at least do the same. It seamed like it was all shot in a stage/water tank.
Well I just saw it last night and this is what I liked about it.

It is available on bit torrent now and the copy I saw was good, except for the fact that it was subed in Arabic. Nice screener, not a cam. Not much of an issue as there are not many lines!

Redford did a great job. He was more prepared than I expected from forum comments and very resourceful. Really all he was missing was an Eperb, but I guess that would have made it a short film!
Old 01-09-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Wow that was hard to watch. Way too many goofy things going on.
benesailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-10-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

An European major sail magazine is doing a pool about it. Till now almost half that had seen it find it gross and boring.

Old 01-10-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I fell a sleep about 3/4 way thru for about 5 minutes. I couldn't figure out why redford was trying to kill himself. Looked like it was filmed in a pool.
My issue with the movie was that put the wrong personality in the boat. Meaning; most people that put to sea don't have a personality type as depicted by redford. Given his attitude he should have died about 3 miles off the dock.

I guess i couldn't get over that it wasn't a sailing movie. It's a movie about a guy with serious mental issues.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 01-11-2014
C&C24, Hamilton Harbour

Marunio is on a distinguished road

Disappointing and boring....
I like realistic that could be boring, but this was just boring.
M