Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Sorry Paulo the only thing worse than my sailing ability is my writing What I was trying to imply is that most of the larger boats in my region motor everywhere. Here the wind is usually under 8 or over 25 if they cant sail in those conditions then a long term voyage is next to impossible. I'm not bashing big boats but supporting that little boats can and do successfully sail safely all over the world safely every day. My boat has a 7400 lb displacement and is considered to be very heavy for the size she is average off the wind in speed but very comfortable. Above the wind she sails like a dream.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
John,

I know you from our other talks on other boards, and would LOVE to sit down and have a sundowner together some time! I respect your great experience and do not want to disagree, but on occasion, we have outrun much larger boats on our 27. NOT 60 footers!!

When we were in the yard in Napa Valley last March, a guy walked up and called us by name. We were greatly surprised to see a guy who had sort of blown us off in La Paz Mexico a few years ago. He had finished up a circumnavigation and didn't have time for us nubes. At any rate, in the yard, he went into this LONG apology for the way he treated us. He said that he had a very profound respect for us and our Nor'Sea. He asked if we remember when we departed the La Paz bay at about the same time he did. It was some place in the back recesses of my brain, but Jill remembered it. He related he did everything in his book to kick his Cheoy Lee 40+ in the pants, but we walked away from him. In light airs, we cook.

I had to snicker, Jill was doing the work that day, not me......

Waterline is important, but not always the deciding factor. Like EVERYTHING boating, there are so many tradeoffs.

Also, we have friends in there Nor'Sea that beat most of the fleet from the Galapagos to the Marquesas a few years ago as they had a Mainster sail to set. The cats and tris were standing still, monos not moving at all. From there ( Newsleters )web page;
ďAt last, 11:30 AM on May 12 we were anchor down in Hanavave Bay on Fatu Hiva, Marquesas after 27 days at sea.* Average days run of 112 nm per day.Ē

Greg
Sure, I can also cite instances where my little tub - 25' on the waterline - has outpaced larger boats...

Still, those anecdotal examples are not enough to dispel my belief that a greater LWL will - IN GENERAL - produce higher speeds, and faster passage times... :-)
barefootnavigator likes this.
Old 11-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

I am really curious. What is the brand of that 22ft?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2013

Would it be safe to say that faster passage times are just as likely to put you in the direct line of foul weather as they are to save you from it? Bad weather can develop anywhere to assume its only behind us is just plain silly I'm just saying...
Old 11-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Would it be safe to say that faster passage times are just as likely to put you in the direct line of foul weather as they are to save you from it? Bad weather can develop anywhere to assume its only behind us is just plain silly I'm just saying...
OK, you are just kidding!!!!

Well, you have a twisted sense of humor but I am afraid that some will think you are for real

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2013

Its an old FC 22 Id post a picture but I'm too stupid to figure it out .
Old 11-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Barefoot
1. Light air=parasailor or 140 and full main= 7 to 8 1/2 kts
2. Last 2000 NMR = 20 engine hours
3. Heavy weather= storm sails= better ride than engine and safer.
4. 30+kts= Solent and double reefed main= 200+m/ d

Last trip to Annapolis being fast and looking at weather window left 12h earlier than planned. Got in just as miserable weather was starting to build in Chesapeake.

My experience just this year is just the opposite of yours forgetting about years past.
Old 11-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Seeing that no one is convincing anyone else of their position, I'm just going to argue that I am right without taking one.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-02-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Seeing that no one is convincing anyone else of their position, I'm just going to argue that I am right without taking one.
Yours IS the correct reply....

A quick note here.

As the OP of this thread, I was just trying to get a feeling for the thoughts about the subject. I NEVER thought about trying to convince ANY ONE about the subject, one way or the other. Although my belief is that any boat can be safe or not, regardless of size.

I do get a kick out of people who look down on smaller (35 foot & less) boats as less capable of voyage making than bigger boats. I find it interesting that people believe Jill and I sail our 27 because we can't afford a larger, "safer" boat.

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 11-02-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

I think my 50 footer is safer than the 25 / 30 or 37 footers I've owned. The main reason, fatigue. In rough conditions the smaller boat beats you up more. The smaller 5 boats ( owned 2 of the 30 and 37 footers) have comparable "comfort ratios" to the 50 for their size.

I sailed the smaller boats almost always solo. The 25 and 30 sloops the 37's cutters. The 37c was probably the easiest to sail alone. The more stable platform made all jobs easier, sails cooking etc.

I also single hand the 50, no power winches no autopilot. But it is a ketch rig so sail area for each sail is not that much more vs my cutters. The hardest part is docking the 50. I have to use spring lines now on the smaller boats it was optional.

"Sailing" yes the "bigger" boats around here also tend to motor a lot more. I will sail if there is any wind (staysails,drifters etc) if I'm day sailing. If on vacation I will motorsail because of limited time. Most of the bigger/expensive boats owners around me can't/ won't sail in light air. Its not that their boats can't sail faster it's that the owners can't/ won't. Or they don't have the sails to do so. I've been a fan of your mainster for years.