Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
-Do I fear being uncomfortable more than I fear not being able to manhandle the boat?
-Do I fear a large amount of complexity more than I fear having to give up performance and seakeeping?
-Do I fear spending a lot of money to buy and maintain a boat than I fear living in a cramped cabin?
-Do I fear being rolled in a 25 foot wave, than I fear being rolled in a 50 foot wave?
-Do I fear having to work for a few more years more than I fear not have a dedicated_______ (fill in the blank...chart table, galley table, pilothouse,gigantic steering wheel or twin wheels, etc.)
-Do I fear having a dinghy which is a third of the length of my boat and needs to be deflated and stored more than I fear not being able to anchor close to shore?
-Do I fear taking twice as long making a passage, than I fear paying for a bigger slip or not being able to trailer my boat?
-Do I fear having to ration my consumables on a long passage more than I fear losing fingers or worse adjusting extremely highly stressed control lines?
-Do I fear the sense of being isolated from the sailing that comes with highly mechanized sailing more than I fear the physical labor of sailing a smaller less mechanized boat?

And so on…
Jeff,

Also, I want to say that we chose and keep our boat, not from the "fear" you talk about...... BUT, an analysis and decision one EVERY point you talk about! That is, for an example, we don't fear the time of a passage, no matter what size boat we have, but we do take it into consideration.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

After reading this thread, I think I'll keep my little S&S 34:

Does everything I want and need, at least until I win the lottery.

Do like those Sundeers though, or an Open 60- if I knew how to sail one.
Old 11-01-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Just for fun lets ask our selfs what exactly safer means? does it mean that big boats, say over 40' don't need liferafts or epribs? If this is the case why is that larger boats are more likely to carry more "safety" gear in anticipation of catastrophic loss? Why is it that 9 of 10 coast guard rescue videos are of large boats and how is it possible that small boats have safely crossed every sea in the world since the beginning of time? Its not the boat!
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
They are just saying that having reached the age of 62 they think it is too much boat for them now. It was obviously that it was not before, when they were younger. They have sailed it extensively.

Regards

Paulo
I agree. What they said is what was quoted.
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Just for fun lets ask our selfs what exactly safer means? does it mean that big boats, say over 40' don't need liferafts or epribs? If this is the case why is that larger boats are more likely to carry more "safety" gear in anticipation of catastrophic loss? Why is it that 9 of 10 coast guard rescue videos are of large boats and how is it possible that small boats have safely crossed every sea in the world since the beginning of time? Its not the boat!
Because Fear is good. Those stickers that say "No Fear" are BS. Fear is what will save you. When you are on a small boat in a big storm, a really big storm, and you have only yourself to depend and no life raft. You should have some fear. Some people buy big boats out of fear of sailing a small boat. But fear is good. That fear will keep you on your toes, and prevent you from making deadly mistakes. The fear will help you fix your sinking boat. Fear is good, it has kept man alive for 1 million years.

Last edited by casey1999; 11-01-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2013

Please be patent with me as I am a bit slow, what does fear have to do with my post or safety and size?
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Please be patent with me as I am a bit slow, what does fear have to do with my post or safety and size?
People generally fear things they preceive being unsafe.
Old 11-01-2013

Good point, in 25 years of sailing I have never considered it to be even remotely unsafe. driving a car FEAR!
Old 11-01-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

I'm half of that out of shape retired couple with big dreams Paulo references. All our winches are powered and two speed. The Autopilot does 95+% of the driving. First two reefs are single line with low friction set up and third double but all lead to cockpit. Have Dutchman instead of leasurefurl. Boat is 46' and I can pick up all the sails ( I know because I just took them off).
After Cape Dories, Mariners, Tayanas, and PSCs from 24' to my present 46' I believe
1.bigger is better- more comfortable, better sleep and self care so better decisions. It's a joy to take a hot shower in the middle of a passage.
2.If too big when the systems fail you are truly screwed. Mid forties is just about right. All key systems need to run with no electricity. If systems fail they should not put vessel at risk. That's why I don't have a leisure furl or in mast furler.
3.Big= higher hull speed= safety
4. Storm systems should be fool proof which usually means oldtime e.g hanked stormjib, Jordan series drogue etc.
5.Tankage means safety. More fuel more range under power. Mine diesel is in 4 tanks=clean fuel without water regardless. Have 200g of water in 2 tanks=no dependence on watermaker.

You just can't do that stuff in less than mid forty footer. 2 can't run a boat much bigger then that when systems fail. If you live on the thing and you are poorly fed or too hot or too cold or constantly exposed to wind/weather on deck you will be miserable. That's when poor decision are made.
Old 11-01-2013

Bigger does not mean higher hull speed unless you are talking about motoring all the way. Sure a longer water line may mean higher hull speed in ideal conditions. Last time I was long distance cruising we averaged less than 10 knots of wind, rarely were the conditions optimal. Speed does not EVER equate to safety, safety does. On the other hand I cant even imagine what a hot shower on a boat is like. We all find a happy medium out there, you sound like you have found yours. The joy of sailing is the joy of sailing regardless of size
Rhapsody-NS27 and Delezynski like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.