SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   one of ten out of 60 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/10511-one-ten-out-60-a.html)

starcresttoo 09-26-2004 09:26 AM

one of ten out of 60

the everglades sailing resort has been totally destroyed.there were about 60 boats here,20 miles from the eyewall of gean.ten boats remain afloat in whats left of the debris.starcrest too...the range of mocean is one of them

flicker 09-27-2004 05:33 AM

one of ten out of 60

You''re saying your boat is afloat?

Chas

starcresttoo 09-29-2004 12:07 AM

one of ten out of 60

yes .my boat,an old fiberglass boat is a battle axe.they dont build them the way they used to.there is a major amount of minor cosmetic damage,the bow rail and stern rail needs to be replaced,a few bent chainplates and stanchions,but there was 2 inches of water in the bilge.the main companionway hatch is missing,but the dropboards remained in place.I am sure the boat was swamped multiple times.what saved my ass was the anchor line that I spider webbed around the boat to the dock cleats.the dock pulled away from the main walkway,but the sunken vessel next to me held the overturned dock in place.the mast was never stepped.it was on the deck tied to the bow and sternrails,and the mast is sticking out of the water like an arrow in a target.I will retrieve it asap and I already have a place line up to move the boat to in fort lauderdale

flicker 09-29-2004 04:29 AM

one of ten out of 60

I''m glad to hear it wasn''t worse for you. What boat do you have?

Chas.

starcresttoo 10-03-2004 11:11 PM

one of ten out of 60

its a 1967 wayfarer islander 29.I will be bringing it to a self service haul out yard in dania

Billpjr 10-04-2004 04:42 PM

one of ten out of 60

Did you notice how the cored boats basically came apart once the outer skin was fractured...and the old thick single skin boats had minimal structural damage under the same circumstances? Even cormat delaminated big.

starcresttoo 10-05-2004 12:36 AM

one of ten out of 60

I noticed that some boats faired better than others.at this time they are still pulling boats off the bottom and its neat how they are doing it with floatation bags and water pumps.the larger boats on the rocks are in worse trouble as their bottoms are holed.my boat ,an older fiberglass boat remained afloat but with major cosmetic damage and a bent mast. all repairable.

jbanta 10-05-2004 10:24 AM

one of ten out of 60

I feel like a buzzard circling so forgive that impression. I think it might be of some help to both me and someone who lost thier boat.. I bent my boom a season or so ago. Are there any spars that made it though even though the boat did not?

Billpjr 10-06-2004 05:12 AM

one of ten out of 60

Plenty of sailboat hulls/decks were damaged beyond repair and their spars remained untouched.

starcresttoo 10-10-2004 06:49 PM

one of ten out of 60

they are pulling boats off the bottom that cannot be seen.huge cranes were brought in with travel lift slings and they are pulling huge boats off the bottom.I will be leaving soon and I hope I dont hit any of the wrecks