Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
I hit a &%@#!* abandoned mooring block.....

in a marked channel.

So during the motor up river to get the boat hauled on Saturday, I hit a abandoned, unmarked mooring block that was in the channel.

Where I take my boat out, I have to go up river for 3 miles, with the last 700 yards up a small river that is dredged to 6-8 ft. They mark it with Private buoys. I draw 6 ft, so we go up on a rising tide. I need to go at low tide to get under a bridge further down river.

So I am at the helm and ask the navigator are we good here as I make my turn into the section with the Private Channel Aids. Depth says just over 7.5 feet and chart says the same. We are in the channel, but to one side as another boat it approaching us coming down river.

Bang, boat hits and bounces forward. Were going a little over 4 knots. 4 boats see us do it and yell over are we alright. I quickly try to determine if we hit something or have hard grounded. I look over and see the river bottom, but were are still moving forward at about 2 kts. I quickly turn more into the middle of the channel and then have my navigator take over at the helm and go below to see if anything broke. Can't see any water gushing in, so that is good. Can't tell if there is slow seepage though.

Finish getting to the dock and get the bilge almost totally dry. Tell the yard guys that I may need to get hauled quickly if there is water coming in the boat. They ask why. I told them I hit "something" at the end of the river where it intersects with the other river. I bet you hit that mooring block near the US Nav aid is their response, lot's of folks do. WTF? Everyone knows about it and it isn't marked?

Go back to the boat and don't see notable water in the bilge where the keel bolts are. Feeling better, but still sick to my stomache about the whole thing.

Boat gets hauled and I look at keel and keel/hull joint. Aside from the paint chip at the impact, don't see any evidence of keel joint crack or hull cracks near the keel. Boat is solid glass, 1.5 inches or more thick on that region, so I am hopeful that no damage occurred to the structural integrity. Will do a more thorough inspect next w/e.

Writing a letter to the Harbormaster. I mean seriously if everyone knows it is there, why isn't marked or removed?
JimMcGee and deniseO30 like this.
Old 10-28-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road
re: I hit a &%@#!* abandoned mooring block.....

Put a sign on it, "FREE MOORING BLOCK", and see if it doesn't disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

What's that saying? Never go any faster then you want to hit something? I've had Whole trees, stumps, root balls jammed in the prop, Lost a mooring block. Run aground a few times on the chessy. Have yet to hit something hard. There's a unmarked steel something or other in the river here, quite a few had had to wait for the tide to rise. Then upriver there's a concrete somthing. All the power boaters seem to loose prop and more there. welcome to the club!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Wow. I'll bet that caused a few heart-stopping moments.

My sympathies, and I'm glad that damage seemed minimal. You're right to be irritated with the situation.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-28-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Um, ditto on the bummer's and oh my's.

Now, did you mark it?

I'm betting no - so get off your soap box and get in the dinghy and go mark it.
bljones likes this.
Old 10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Um, ditto on the bummer's and oh my's.

Now, did you mark it?

I'm betting no - so get off your soap box and get in the dinghy and go mark it.
No, I didn't mark it and I don't have a dinghy, but I did fire off a email/letter to the harbormaster about and would be willing to mark it if I had a means of doing so. I bet other folks that haven't even reported it.
Old 10-28-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Motoring 4+ knots with 6' draft up the side of a channel dredged only to 6-8 feet....
Old 10-28-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
No, I didn't mark it and I don't have a dinghy, but I did fire off a email/letter to the harbormaster about and would be willing to mark it if I had a means of doing so. I bet other folks that haven't even reported it.
Maybe that's why it's not marked. No one else did either, and it's not the harbor masters responsibility.
Old 10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Motoring 4+ knots with 6' draft up the side of a channel dredged only to 6-8 feet....
Your point?

I was in a marked channel at mid tide (8 ft+ of water). Doesn't matter if I was to one side or the other, I was still in the channel. There shouldn't be a abandoned, unmarked block in a marked channel, especially a relatively shallow, narrow one that is maintained. The obstruction is apparently often hit and locals know about it, so it should be at least marked, removed, or the channel routed to avoid it. I have done this trip 4 times previously under the same tide/speed conditions without any issue.

Yeah sh*t happens, but when there is a known hotspot that isn't addressed, that pisses me off.
dbrimm, davidpm, Ziaduck and 2 others like this.
Old 10-28-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Same thing happened to me.... sorta. We're motoring into Reedville, VA. There is something foul marked on the charts but indicates it lies parallel to the direction we're heading. A big fishing boat is kinda crowding us from behind and swinging wide so I'm not going further out. I reduce speed to about 3 knots to let him pass and all of a sudden we lurch and stop. I slam it into reverse and look at the depths sounder that WAS reading 14 or 15. It's at 4.9 and as I back up it immediately goes to 15 feet.
WTF?

Found out later it was a brick chimney that fell in the water from a building right on the shore's edge. No mark, no black/white float marking the obstruction whatsoever.

We were moving NNE as indicated by the red line.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.