SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Score! *another* dink! :D (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105143-score-%2Aanother%2A-dink-d.html)

deltaten 10-29-2013 01:54 PM

Score! *another* dink! :D

Got a call from a dock-mate the other day asking if I was still looking for a hard dink. "Yep!" and it was off to the races......

After having worked thru this past season with a 9' Caribe RIB, I found it might be better to have a smaller, hard-shell to use as a tender and "toy" when necessary/desired. THe RIB takes up the entire foredeck on the W27 and weighs in at near ta 175 pounds...all I can do to hoist it on the jib halyard and stow on deck with a lot of wigglin', gesturing and cussin'.

Found a Walker Bay 8 sitting in a towing impound lot. Went to look at it Sat. nite; but could only see the outer hull. Great shape; not many scores or scratches on the bottom. The fella that bird-dogged it called me Mon. a.m. and said he got a price from the PO ad would I be willing to go $200.00 for it?? Seeing as how mosr bare boats go for nearer $450....
You betcha! :D

He called me back later to say that the PO signed off on the BoS and got all the HIN stuff squared away. He ended up buying it outright, rather than a deposit and waiting on me to get down. Figger'd it was a better idea to abscond with the purchase before someone checked current prices.

Now, to find/rig a sail kit and other sundry items
The usual sources are about 50/50 on impressions of this little tender.Some say they have little faith in their tippy. un-sea-worthy plastic shell and others swear by them as perfect for their uses.!?

I *think* I'm gonna like it Time and a few sails/rows will tell. What say you?Any input on usefulness or accessories?

TIA,
Paul

caberg 10-29-2013 03:27 PM

Re: Score! *another* dink! :D

That is a really good price. Sounds a little sketchy how the sale went down, but maybe I'm not understanding it exactly.

You will like rowing that dink far better than the RIB.

mad_machine 10-29-2013 06:34 PM

Now to sell the RIB....

Faster 10-29-2013 09:05 PM

I'm surprised to fine the WB dinghies a little on the tippy side... I guess that's why the add-on bladders are so popular. However they create a very beamy package.

I think the sail kit would be a great idea, esp if you have kids in the 6-12 year old range, it's a great way to get them started and interested in actually sailing..

bljones 10-29-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaten (Post 1111909)
Got a call from a dock-mate the other day asking if I was still looking for a hard dink. "Yep!" and it was off to the races......

Folks, sometimes the material just writes itself.

at least you got a dinghy out of it. :))

BarryL 10-29-2013 10:33 PM

Hey,

I have the WB10 with some of the sail kit stuff (mast step, rudder mount, floor, block for the main sheet). The boat rows very well, is stable, and holds a lot of gear. My problem is that it's heavy. I need to drag it up a beach and the darn thing nearly kills me each time I drag it.

The 8 will be lighter, but unless you really want a sailing dink, just use it with oars (or a small kicker) and you should be happy.

Barry

deltaten 10-29-2013 10:54 PM

Yeah, Jonesy...now ya mention it, I coulda used a better choice of words! LOL
Heard of the "tippy" thing. Prolly come up w/some sorta pool noodle-stuff on the rails. DEal was legit, just odd how things come about sometimes ;)

bljones 10-29-2013 11:04 PM

there was a guy in the marina who had a walker bay 8, and tok a low-buck apporach to solving the tenderness issue. rather than shell out $800+ for the inflatable collars, he screwed fenders to the hull just below the gunwales. Baisically, three 6" fenders on each side, through bolted with teak blocks as spacers between the fender ears and the hull. it putted around the marina fine wiht a 1.2 hp gamefisher outboard, and rowed better.

lillia28 10-31-2013 10:47 AM

The WB 8's are great dinks for what they are, but stable is what they re not. I have the sail kit, and frankly it is not worth it. It will sail after a fashion, that's about all you can say. After a while I found that the least stressful method was for me to row out to the boat and bring it up to the dock to load passengers and supplies. The standard WB oars are a bit short, and eventually you get used to the boat flexing as you row. But they are unbreakable, and zero maintenance. I like bljones' idea of the fenders, and may try that!

Lou

MarioG 10-31-2013 11:20 AM

I really like my WB8 and the way it rows and sails. As far as being stable, it will take a little getting use to but I will stand on the center seat and rock it to show people that it is stable. I stand and paddle it one oar all the time even when the water is a little rough.

I paid $180 for a sail kit because the PO didn't like it.

Have fun