Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
The "Swan" looks like a winner - good luck!

P.S.
Mary Anne
it does. this is an unexpected direction in life caused by an unexpected direction in life. lol. it's a fine looking vessel and reading about them, they are well built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

This isn't a personal finance discussion board but Capt. Jack needs to get his act together before he thinks about acquiring a 24' boat. Unless you make your living on the water, boats are luxuries. You need to take care of basics before you spend on luxuries. One of those basics is a rainy day reserve. He stated that he doesn't have any reserve funds. It's absolutely reckless to start thinking about buying a boat until you have six months living expenses sitting in the bank.
smackdaddy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hudsonian For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

This boat, just doesn't seem to be 31ft Anyway, I'm not in Philly I'm in Bristol 15 miles north. The train from Philly is the Septa R-7 line, it comes right here a few blocks from my house.
This is what I know so far.

It's been about 3 years in the club. I think it was sitting in someone's yard for 20, (don't know) It's been on a club mooring 3 seasons.. he's never sailed it. The only time I saw the boat move on it's own was for launching and end of season pull out. It's gas, not an A4, something about the carb leaking gas. A very young man owns it, but is not a member of the club anymore so... the boat...HAS TO GO I've never seen inside... The outboard is high and I think the whole propulsion approach needs to be re-thunk

People have towed boats down river to the Chessy but that's really slow going.
I've done the trip a few times.. don't even need a chart lol Chesapeake city is my fav stop,free too!

View from above;

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 11-01-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
This isn't a personal finance discussion board but Capt. Jack needs to get his act together before he thinks about acquiring a 24' boat. Unless you make your living on the water, boats are luxuries. You need to take care of basics before you spend on luxuries. One of those basics is a rainy day reserve. He stated that he doesn't have any reserve funds. It's absolutely reckless to start thinking about buying a boat until you have six months living expenses sitting in the bank.
+1.

Or you can just pull money out of your butt like I do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
they say you are always supposed to have savings and you should be able to pay a month's rent with one check and all that other good advice that you have to make real money to follow. the largest majority of people, and i am one of those, live their lives without being able to follow such good advice. they have no choice but live recklessly. honestly, if only people that were well prepared and financially stable had kids, which is a huge money drain, the human race would dwindle to become an endangered species. you just find a way, when you have to. you have to take risks, in life, if you are to live it. you may not have money to spend but once you have a responsibility, you find a way to fulfill it.

not that i am not going to start getting myself financially set up for this. there is a difference between an expense you know is coming, ahead of time, and one that hits you all of a sudden.
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
This boat, just doesn't seem to be 31ft Anyway, I'm not in Philly I'm in Bristol 15 miles north. The train from Philly is the Septa R-7 line, it comes right here a few blocks from my house.
This is what I know so far.

It's been about 3 years in the club. I think it was sitting in someone's yard for 20, (don't know) It's been on a club mooring 3 seasons.. he's never sailed it. The only time I saw the boat move on it's own was for launching and end of season pull out. It's gas, not an A4, something about the carb leaking gas. A very young man owns it, but is not a member of the club anymore so... the boat...HAS TO GO I've never seen inside... The outboard is high and I think the whole propulsion approach needs to be re-thunk

People have towed boats down river to the Chessy but that's really slow going.
I've done the trip a few times.. don't even need a chart lol Chesapeake city is my fav stop,free too!

View from above;
so, i have a two questions. it does have sails, right? figure i'd better ask that. sails that big would not be cheap.

hard to believe you'd have a nice boat, like that, and never sail it. i keep my dinghy in the back of my truck so i can sail any time i am near water, and have a spare hour or two. i can't imagine letting such a beautiful boat just sit. even if you are short of money, wind is free.

second question. you say he uses the outboard because of a carb leak on the inboard? if so, that's no biggie. i can rebuild a carburetor in my sleep. that would be good because it would mean i'd only have to use an outboard to get it home. not that i intend to use an engine anymore than i actually have to.
Old 11-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
......... there is a difference between an expense you know is coming, ahead of time, and one that hits you all of a sudden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
so, i have a two questions. it does have sails, right? figure i'd better ask that. sails that big would not be cheap. ........
Unfortunately, boats are often about expenses you didn't see coming. Every year I have a list a full page long of things I want to fix or improve. I literally get to less than half, as the unexpected interferes. Sails do blow out.
jimgo likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-01-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

The Dream is alive.

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… ‘cruising’ it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.” -Sterling Hayden
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 11-01-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Something doesn't seem right. That Seafarer (Swan) looks too good to be true. $100-200 purchase price? Outwardly, as far as one can see that boat looks to be in pretty good shape. It might be a good idea to verify the price and that you can get a good clear title to that boat. Talk with the owner. Talk with someone with experience in that size boat and get them to look at it with you. They'll have a better feel for what's needed, if anything, and what it realistically will cost. Why hasn't someone already bought it?

Jack, make sure that you look at your situation financially to make sure that you can handle it. Haulout, bottom paint, wax hull for my 32 foot boat runs about $1,600 every two years. Insurance is $580 a year. Slip fees run $2,000 to $4,000+ depending on where you are. To get insurance may require a survey. Surveys run $3-400?. If the survey finds problems (and they will on a boat of that age), they'll have to be fixed before insurance company will cover it....i.e. more expense. Can you even get insurance? Even liability insurance?...some marinas require it. What needs to be spent on fixing up to a usable condition? Once you buy it, it's yours. If you can't handle the associated bills for any reason, you are going to accumulate an outstanding debt and there's a good chance that someone is going to take you to court and get a judgment against you. Then, until you take care of that, you'll have trouble getting financing on anything down the road until it's cleared up. Meanwhile, you've got two boats to deal with on top of everything else that life throws in your direction.

I know you want a bigger boat, and this one is surely tempting. But you already have a boat that you can't deal with. And no financial reserve. Even $350 is problematic at the moment.
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
The Dream is alive.

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… ‘cruising’ it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.” -Sterling Hayden
awesome quote!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.