"Free boat" seaworthiness - Page 13 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree49Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #121  
Old 10-31-2013
captain jack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 1,184
Thanks: 68
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 2
captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
The "Swan" looks like a winner - good luck!

P.S.
Mary Anne
it does. this is an unexpected direction in life caused by an unexpected direction in life. lol. it's a fine looking vessel and reading about them, they are well built.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #122  
Old 10-31-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 435
Thanks: 12
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 7
Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

This isn't a personal finance discussion board but Capt. Jack needs to get his act together before he thinks about acquiring a 24' boat. Unless you make your living on the water, boats are luxuries. You need to take care of basics before you spend on luxuries. One of those basics is a rainy day reserve. He stated that he doesn't have any reserve funds. It's absolutely reckless to start thinking about buying a boat until you have six months living expenses sitting in the bank.
smackdaddy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Hudsonian For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (11-01-2013)
  #123  
Old 11-01-2013
deniseO30's Avatar
Move over Joan Rivers!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 5,816
Thanks: 51
Thanked 70 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 9
deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

This boat, just doesn't seem to be 31ft Anyway, I'm not in Philly I'm in Bristol 15 miles north. The train from Philly is the Septa R-7 line, it comes right here a few blocks from my house.
This is what I know so far.

It's been about 3 years in the club. I think it was sitting in someone's yard for 20, (don't know) It's been on a club mooring 3 seasons.. he's never sailed it. The only time I saw the boat move on it's own was for launching and end of season pull out. It's gas, not an A4, something about the carb leaking gas. A very young man owns it, but is not a member of the club anymore so... the boat...HAS TO GO I've never seen inside... The outboard is high and I think the whole propulsion approach needs to be re-thunk

People have towed boats down river to the Chessy but that's really slow going.
I've done the trip a few times.. don't even need a chart lol Chesapeake city is my fav stop,free too!

View from above;
__________________
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club. New Website!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 11-01-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #124  
Old 11-01-2013
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,923
Thanks: 79
Thanked 72 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 8
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
This isn't a personal finance discussion board but Capt. Jack needs to get his act together before he thinks about acquiring a 24' boat. Unless you make your living on the water, boats are luxuries. You need to take care of basics before you spend on luxuries. One of those basics is a rainy day reserve. He stated that he doesn't have any reserve funds. It's absolutely reckless to start thinking about buying a boat until you have six months living expenses sitting in the bank.
+1.

Or you can just pull money out of your butt like I do.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #125  
Old 11-01-2013
captain jack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 1,184
Thanks: 68
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 2
captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
This isn't a personal finance discussion board but Capt. Jack needs to get his act together before he thinks about acquiring a 24' boat. Unless you make your living on the water, boats are luxuries. You need to take care of basics before you spend on luxuries. One of those basics is a rainy day reserve. He stated that he doesn't have any reserve funds. It's absolutely reckless to start thinking about buying a boat until you have six months living expenses sitting in the bank.
they say you are always supposed to have savings and you should be able to pay a month's rent with one check and all that other good advice that you have to make real money to follow. the largest majority of people, and i am one of those, live their lives without being able to follow such good advice. they have no choice but live recklessly. honestly, if only people that were well prepared and financially stable had kids, which is a huge money drain, the human race would dwindle to become an endangered species. you just find a way, when you have to. you have to take risks, in life, if you are to live it. you may not have money to spend but once you have a responsibility, you find a way to fulfill it.

not that i am not going to start getting myself financially set up for this. there is a difference between an expense you know is coming, ahead of time, and one that hits you all of a sudden.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #126  
Old 11-01-2013
captain jack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 1,184
Thanks: 68
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 2
captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
This boat, just doesn't seem to be 31ft Anyway, I'm not in Philly I'm in Bristol 15 miles north. The train from Philly is the Septa R-7 line, it comes right here a few blocks from my house.
This is what I know so far.

It's been about 3 years in the club. I think it was sitting in someone's yard for 20, (don't know) It's been on a club mooring 3 seasons.. he's never sailed it. The only time I saw the boat move on it's own was for launching and end of season pull out. It's gas, not an A4, something about the carb leaking gas. A very young man owns it, but is not a member of the club anymore so... the boat...HAS TO GO I've never seen inside... The outboard is high and I think the whole propulsion approach needs to be re-thunk

People have towed boats down river to the Chessy but that's really slow going.
I've done the trip a few times.. don't even need a chart lol Chesapeake city is my fav stop,free too!

View from above;
so, i have a two questions. it does have sails, right? figure i'd better ask that. sails that big would not be cheap.

hard to believe you'd have a nice boat, like that, and never sail it. i keep my dinghy in the back of my truck so i can sail any time i am near water, and have a spare hour or two. i can't imagine letting such a beautiful boat just sit. even if you are short of money, wind is free.

second question. you say he uses the outboard because of a carb leak on the inboard? if so, that's no biggie. i can rebuild a carburetor in my sleep. that would be good because it would mean i'd only have to use an outboard to get it home. not that i intend to use an engine anymore than i actually have to.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #127  
Old 11-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,644
Thanks: 10
Thanked 110 Times in 105 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
......... there is a difference between an expense you know is coming, ahead of time, and one that hits you all of a sudden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
so, i have a two questions. it does have sails, right? figure i'd better ask that. sails that big would not be cheap. ........
Unfortunately, boats are often about expenses you didn't see coming. Every year I have a list a full page long of things I want to fix or improve. I literally get to less than half, as the unexpected interferes. Sails do blow out.
jimgo likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #128  
Old 11-01-2013
manatee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: S.E. Florida
Posts: 896
Thanks: 16
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 2
manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

The Dream is alive.

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… ‘cruising’ it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.” -Sterling Hayden
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
__________________
===========================
*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #129  
Old 11-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 583
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Something doesn't seem right. That Seafarer (Swan) looks too good to be true. $100-200 purchase price? Outwardly, as far as one can see that boat looks to be in pretty good shape. It might be a good idea to verify the price and that you can get a good clear title to that boat. Talk with the owner. Talk with someone with experience in that size boat and get them to look at it with you. They'll have a better feel for what's needed, if anything, and what it realistically will cost. Why hasn't someone already bought it?

Jack, make sure that you look at your situation financially to make sure that you can handle it. Haulout, bottom paint, wax hull for my 32 foot boat runs about $1,600 every two years. Insurance is $580 a year. Slip fees run $2,000 to $4,000+ depending on where you are. To get insurance may require a survey. Surveys run $3-400?. If the survey finds problems (and they will on a boat of that age), they'll have to be fixed before insurance company will cover it....i.e. more expense. Can you even get insurance? Even liability insurance?...some marinas require it. What needs to be spent on fixing up to a usable condition? Once you buy it, it's yours. If you can't handle the associated bills for any reason, you are going to accumulate an outstanding debt and there's a good chance that someone is going to take you to court and get a judgment against you. Then, until you take care of that, you'll have trouble getting financing on anything down the road until it's cleared up. Meanwhile, you've got two boats to deal with on top of everything else that life throws in your direction.

I know you want a bigger boat, and this one is surely tempting. But you already have a boat that you can't deal with. And no financial reserve. Even $350 is problematic at the moment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #130  
Old 11-01-2013
captain jack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 1,184
Thanks: 68
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 2
captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
The Dream is alive.

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… ‘cruising’ it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.” -Sterling Hayden
awesome quote!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seaworthiness tlarndt Chrysler 11 06-07-2013 03:32 PM
So: what modifications have you made to your boat to increase its seaworthiness? peterchech General Discussion (sailing related) 3 07-25-2012 04:01 PM
Age and Seaworthiness? BubbleheadMd Seamanship & Navigation 27 01-06-2010 07:24 AM
Cal boats seaworthiness grumol Boat Review and Purchase Forum 1 06-29-2002 11:22 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012