Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

that's not the boat, unless he moved it. piney point is far down the bay from Essex. same type of boat, though. it's good to see what it's supposed to look like. the boat on ebay also doesn't have an outboard on it. but it is an odd coincidence.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
really? hmmmm maybe I should check around with local yacht clubs....
there is a racing breed Pearson 30, with an A4 Not sure he's ready to sell, an Endeavor 32 for sale. A Pearson 26, not sure it's for sale. I'll ask if any of those interest you but they are not "nearly free" that I know of.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2013

I am still going to see the boat, but i'm going to see if he will let me scrap it out before he cuts it up. it would save him money on disposal. landfills charge by the pound. i'd like the rails, winches, and other hardware. sails, too, if he is willing...and the sail cover. but, looking at the boat on ebay, I am not impressed. I am sure it's really trashed inside and the boat just wasn't much to write home about, when new.
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
there is a racing breed Pearson 30, with an A4 Not sure he's ready to sell, an Endeavor 32 for sale. A Pearson 26, not sure it's for sale. I'll ask if any of those interest you but they are not "nearly free" that I know of.
thanks for the thought. ask what they want, I imagine. I wasn't in the market; just thinking about it. but a free boat got it rolling. however, even though I now realize that I really do want to take that step, I need to save money unless I find another really good deal, like your guy's seafarer.

I like that endeavor!
jimgo likes this.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-01-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smier View Post
I hope we're talking the original Mrs. Peel?
I was thinking about Diana Rigg in her leather cat suit.

Was Honour Blackman's character Mrs Peel as well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
This isn't a personal finance discussion board but .
But you are gonna treat it like one.
I'm occasionally broke.
I always sail.
I find a way to sail in spite of the fact that I am occasionally broke.
Yep, I get some envelopes in the mail, occasionally, marked "final notice". They, eventually, get paid.
I find a way to sail.
I quit smoking. the money i used to spend on tobacco exceeded my annual sailing cost- slip fees, maintenance, etc.,

So, I could afford to sail even though the rest of my financial and personal life was chaos...

...Because sailing is the only thing that permitted me to ENDURE the rest of my chaotic life.

So respectfully, hudsonian, i don't fell that having one's financial house in order is a prerequisite for becoming a sailboat owner.

In fact being fiscally responsible is an argument AGAINST sailboat ownership.

FFS, is the dream-killing done here?

Are we all good with trying to make the illogical logical?

Can we now get past the tired, and currently largely untrue, cliches about free boats?

captain jack, here's some advice from a broke-ass mofo who has been sailing, more or less successfully, for years on an annual budget that would not buy a new mainsail on a Catalina 400.

Grab the most complete free boat you can find and sail it. Make sure the engine runs, it doesn't smell bad, the chainplates aren't ready to pull right out of the hull, and the bilge isn't filling faster than it can be pumped out.

Everything else is just details.

Cripes, one thread bemoans the lack of new cruisers, another thread remarks on the smaller numbers of sailors every year...
...and here we have 15 pages of reasons why someone shouldn't take on a free sailboat.

Y'know, in 2005, when the boat market was on the rise because anyone with a pulse could buy a boat using the overinflated unsupported equity in their overleveraged McMansion, sure, a "free boat' was a suckers' game. Today, not so much.

In fact, not so very much, at all.

With used boat prices cut by 50% or more since 2008, with boats more than 20 years old being increasingly more difficult to finance, with the pool of buyers smaller than the pool of sellers and getting smaller every year, wiht the number of boat owners who face more money than month not decreasing, there are a lot of very sailable "free" boats that are worth much more than salvage value making them not free at all.

captain jack, let me hit it again: find the best one you can find, and get sailing. if it falls apart under you, lick your wounds, learn form the experience, and find another, better one, using the hard won experience you have gained.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
boatpoker (11-01-2013), captain jack (11-02-2013)
Old 11-01-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

BLJones, I owe you a beer for that one
bljones likes this.
Old 11-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Jonesy, I agree with just about everything you said, and I'm usually a big advocate of buying cheap boats (or taking free ones). I've done it 3 times. But THIS boat was not the "best free boat" he could have found. That was the point that many of us were trying to make. If you read most of the posts, most of us were pushing him to the boat Denise had identified. It was still FAR from perfect, but it would have met most of your other criteria. If he could have gotten that boat for a few hundred bucks, even if it only lasted him 2-3 years, I'd have been very happy for him. But did you SEE the pictures of the boat that started the thread, and that was the subject of most of the nay-saying?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 11-01-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

If someone has the vision, drive and attention span to restore a boat that was sunk, abandoned damaged etc. Just about any boat can be restored to it's original beauty. It's done all the time with wooden boats. The problem is not the boat's condition so much as the person taking on the project. The world is full of "project" boats. big, little, power, paddle row, speed, super yachts to rowboats. The love quickly ebs and is replaced with sighs.. then the tarp goes over the "thing" to make it "out of sight out of mind" Suddenly.. years went by!

my current "project"!
Old 11-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

jimgo, IF the first boat is the best boat he can find, so be it. BUT he has been offered a couple of choices since then, so there are lots of "BEST free boat" contenders.
And, make no mistake, I am advocating finding the BEST free boat, not just ANY free boat.
That is not that same as muttering that "no free boat is free." Hell, we all know that. but that doesn't mean a free boat is unworthy of consideration because it is free.
Dirt is dirt, and a dirty boat is often a low-buck sailor's gift.

When my son was a crib-sleeping infant, he discovered that he could take off his full Huggie and paint his crib with it. It stank. It wasn't pretty. But, you know something, it washed off, with no permanent harm to the crib...
and he outgrew the crib in a couple of years anyway.
30-40year old fiberglass sailboats are like that.
They can be ugly and stinky and underequipped and yadda yadda yadda, BUT...
all of that is fixable, and while it may not create the fastest, bestest sailing, highest pointing, most agile boat in the fleet...
it gets a poor bastage on the water, and grinning. the rest is just details.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.