Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
When my son was a crib-sleeping infant, he discovered that he could take off his full Huggie and paint his crib with it. It stank. It wasn't pretty. But, you know something, it washed off, with no permanent harm to the crib...
Okay - this metaphor just went completely off the rails.

Unless you're riffing on the "this boat is a POS" theme - I'm trying to focus on my curry here and would appreciate a little mental space.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But you are gonna treat it like one.
I'm occasionally broke.
I always sail.
I find a way to sail in spite of the fact that I am occasionally broke.
Yep, I get some envelopes in the mail, occasionally, marked "final notice". They, eventually, get paid.
I find a way to sail.
I quit smoking. the money i used to spend on tobacco exceeded my annual sailing cost- slip fees, maintenance, etc.,

So, I could afford to sail even though the rest of my financial and personal life was chaos...

...Because sailing is the only thing that permitted me to ENDURE the rest of my chaotic life.

So respectfully, hudsonian, i don't fell that having one's financial house in order is a prerequisite for becoming a sailboat owner.

In fact being fiscally responsible is an argument AGAINST sailboat ownership.

FFS, is the dream-killing done here?

Are we all good with trying to make the illogical logical?

Can we now get past the tired, and currently largely untrue, cliches about free boats?

captain jack, here's some advice from a broke-ass mofo who has been sailing, more or less successfully, for years on an annual budget that would not buy a new mainsail on a Catalina 400.

Grab the most complete free boat you can find and sail it. Make sure the engine runs, it doesn't smell bad, the chainplates aren't ready to pull right out of the hull, and the bilge isn't filling faster than it can be pumped out.

Everything else is just details.

Cripes, one thread bemoans the lack of new cruisers, another thread remarks on the smaller numbers of sailors every year...
...and here we have 15 pages of reasons why someone shouldn't take on a free sailboat.

Y'know, in 2005, when the boat market was on the rise because anyone with a pulse could buy a boat using the overinflated unsupported equity in their overleveraged McMansion, sure, a "free boat' was a suckers' game. Today, not so much.

In fact, not so very much, at all.

With used boat prices cut by 50% or more since 2008, with boats more than 20 years old being increasingly more difficult to finance, with the pool of buyers smaller than the pool of sellers and getting smaller every year, wiht the number of boat owners who face more money than month not decreasing, there are a lot of very sailable "free" boats that are worth much more than salvage value making them not free at all.

captain jack, let me hit it again: find the best one you can find, and get sailing. if it falls apart under you, lick your wounds, learn form the experience, and find another, better one, using the hard won experience you have gained.
sounds like you are in my financial class. thanks. it's good to hear both sides of the argument. you all are the angel on the shoulder of restraint and the devil on the shoulder or passion. I'm much more the devil, myself. lol.

I look at the boat tomorrow. if it looks seaworthy and it's not a total wreck inside ( to the point of being disgusting ) I will take it and do everything I can to find a place to keep it. if it's a lost cause, I will try to get him to let me take what I can use from it.
Old 11-02-2013

you know, I have looked at the picture of that boat a thousand times over. it's dirty as hell, but the mast is clean as can be and it's got a nice sail cover.. he told me it's been on the water for 4 months. that rain did get inside and he had to pump it out. he said it got that muddy in low tide. not sure what that means, even, his emails come from his phone and he is a terrible pone typer. lol. I took it to mean it may have tilted over when the water went too low for the keel. I don't know. i'm going to try to get clarity, tomorrow.

if he's telling the truth, it might not be totally trashed. I know it looks worse than that pic of the boat that was submerged for a month or something, in a previous post, but this boat is on the Chesapeake. I don't know the quality of the river that other boat sank in, but the Chesapeake is really dirty. no lie. I love it, but it's filthy. it's water is filthy. and there is a lot of trash on it. if he's telling the truth, well, I can see how falling over in the Chesapeake would make a boat look that bad.

on the other hand, he could be lying. he could have fund it sunk and raised it, hoping to fix it, given up and now his aunt says the boat has to go because he never worked on it. to be honest, when he told me he didn't have the title, Thursday, I was sure it proved he was lying. if he got it from a bank auction, he'd have the title. if he raised a sunken, abandoned boat, he wouldn't have the title.

when he told me, today, he found the title, it gave his story more plausibility. tomorrow will tell all.
Old 11-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - this metaphor just went completely off the rails.

Unless you're riffing on the "this boat is a POS" theme - I'm trying to focus on my curry here and would appreciate a little mental space.
hmmm...okay, maybe I have to dumb it down for the Texan, since he "liked" my initial salvo, but apparently dislikes my expansion on the original thesis.
The dirty, unattractive boat that is the initial subject of this post is like a skidmarked crib- it washes off.

A dirty, ugly, free boat is not the same as a POS boat. For example, a pristine, squeaky clean Stevenson Weekender is still a POS. it didn't sail better or become a better equipped boat by virtue of being clean.

Your failure to understand that simple point demonstrates that you may have very little mental space.

enjoy your curry.

Last edited by bljones; 11-02-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
you know, I have looked at the picture of that boat a thousand times over. it's dirty as hell, but the mast is clean as can be and it's got a nice sail cover.. he told me it's been on the water for 4 months. that rain did get inside and he had to pump it out. he said it got that muddy in low tide. not sure what that means...
It probably means that it sat on the bottom in water that was about 4' deep at low tide. When the tide came in, the boat would flood and get coated with dirty water. When the tide went out, the deck and top of the hull would be exposed, causing the dirty water to dry and cake on the boat. Through all of this the mast would stay clean if the boat was upright.

That other boat that sunk was in the Delaware River, which isn't exactly pristine. However, it did have ~2 knot tidal currents which would prevent the dirt from caking on. Chesapeake and tributaries generally have much less tidal current.
jimgo likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-02-2013

as far as a motor goes, i'm not sure I really need one. I never used a motor on my 20' sloop. I know how to sail to and from a dock. this boat's only 24 feet long. probably not more than 22' on the water line. it's not much bigger than the holiday. if the wind dies, I should be able to scull it. heck, I've rowed the holiday. given the right oars, I don't see why this boat couldn't be rowed in an emergency. although, since I intend to sail the bay, I may see about an electric motor, in case of emergency. of course, that's assuming it's not a total train wreck and I do take it. I had pretty much decided I wouldn't but I wouldn't judge a person by the way they look, i'd give them a chance to show me the cut of their jib, first. same with this boat.
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
hmmm...okay, maybe I have to dumb it down for the Texan, since he "liked" my initial salvo, but apparently dislikes my expansion on the original thesis.
The dirty, unattractive boat that is the initial subject of this post is like a skidmarked crib- it washes off.

A dirty, ugly, free boat is not the same as a POS boat. For example, a pristine, squeaky clean Stevenson Weekender is still a POS. it didn't sail better or become a better equipped boat by virtue of being clean.

Your failure to understand that simple point demonstrates that you may have very little mental space.

enjoy your curry.
have you sailed a weekender?
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It probably means that it sat on the bottom in water that was about 4' deep at low tide. When the tide came in, the boat would flood and get coated with dirty water. When the tide went out, the deck and top of the hull would be exposed, causing the dirty water to dry and cake on the boat. Through all of this the mast would stay clean if the boat was upright.

That other boat that sunk was in the Delaware River, which isn't exactly pristine. However, it did have ~2 knot tidal currents which would prevent the dirt from caking on. Chesapeake and tributaries generally have much less tidal current.
hey. thanks for the clarity. that makes sense. if that's the case, do you think there is a chance the boat isn't total crap?
Old 11-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
have you sailed a weekender?
You don't have to ride a moped to know it ain't a Electra Glide.

Old 11-02-2013

having seen a similar boat, albeit a different year, on ebay, even knowing the exact length and model, I still can't find anything on line about these boats. he said something about there being an article about them, but I don't know where. does anyone know of a place besides sailboatdata to search? a general search, on the web, yields nothing but that ebay listing.