Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If you Texans don't admit you don't get the joke, then everyone else doesn't have to explain the joke. alas, you do, so we have to.
This explains the success of both barbecue and chili in Texas- it is low and slow. you can handle nothing more, apparently.

which explains your befuddlement whilst consuming curry.
Okay.

Back to the original subject...

...of your metaphor gone wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

I went to see the boat.

first, the guy isn't a con man, a moron, or a jerk as I suspected from our communication. he's a nice guy just trying to keep peace in the family. he was very friendly and helpful. if I can't take the boat, I am welcome to strip it of stuff I want. I am welcome to do that or take the boat at my convenience, without him there, and just let him know I am. then, if I take it, he will meet me with the title.

the boat is in very shallow water. it was low tide when I saw it and the bottom was in mud. the tiller was hard to turn, because of it being in mud, and we tried to pull the boat around to the lift, so I could see the entire hull ( he was genuinely helpful ) but it was like dragging a car, it was so mired in the mud. we only were able to pull it so far before giving up. and there was a cloud of mud in the water after we moved it. so, that's why it flooded at low tide. something I, personally, think happened more than once...or maybe it stayed flooded for a few days before he pumped it.

the complete story on the boat is that his aunt's daughter had been on sailboats, twice, while on vacation. she decided she wanted to sail and she worked at the bank where the boat was auctioned. she bought it for $1600 a year ago. she had it at another relative's house until 4 or 5 moths ago, when they told he it had to go. this aunt decided enough was enough because they never did anything at all to the boat.

she bought them 'new' sails for the boat. they obviously were used because I know new Dacron when I see it and that's not it.

now, the boat:

it has about an inch of water in it, from the recent rains.

the barnacles are worse than i'd hoped. Denise called that right. the boat must have floated heavy with water for a little bit before he pumped it. they are pretty heavy up til about 6" from the deck. there are some barnacles in the cockpit, as well. that's the worst part of the boat.

the deck is rock solid, with no cracks of gel blisters, except a small soft spot on the starboard cabin roof/deck. it is reachable from the inside and it's not a big deal. good old boat had an excellent article on how to repair such a thing.

the V-berth shelf has a few small gel blisters, not a hard repair, but is rock solid. no other fiberglass issues are visible. there are no old holes, from moved hardware, that might cause fiberglass problems.

the only thing the daughter managed to really do was to gut the inside. which is good. there is no disgusting wood or material to remove. just bare fiberglass to clean. it smells of oysters ( bay water ) inside but is not moldy.

it has an alcohol stove, which needs cleaned, and a sink. it also has a quarter berth.

the tiller was rotted from exposure, but that's not a hard thing to make. the rudder moved smoothly, except for being mired in the mud.

the mast, boom, and all the running rigging is in fine shape. the metal hardware, even what was exposed to the water, is in good shape. one of the rubber rub rails needs replaced.

the faux wood is actually a pattern in the fiberglass and the color was the topside paint. it wouldn't be unattractive if redone well.

they left the main sail lashed to the boom with the material sail cover on it, apparently since they got the sails. the cover was damp and there is a little mildew on the sail which would need cleaned. the halyard is stuck up at the mast head and i'd have to lower the sail to fix that. but that's not a huge problem since the mast is stepped on the deck with a hinged mast step, like on my holiday.

except for the wood colored deck paint, the topside paint looks fine. this gives me hope that the bottom paint may be good. if this is true, the barnacles may not be under the waterline, just on the sides, were the boat was sitting lower than the bottom paint.

since he is ok with me coming back to the house, without him there ( his aunt is on vacation he is hoping to deal with the boat before she returns Monday ), I am thinking of asking if he would mind if I used the lift, tonight, at high tide, to examine the underwater parts of the boat.
Old 11-02-2013

the jib sail is not on the boat. the posts for the safety line, that is supposed to connect with the rails at the bow and stern, are missing. the hatch lids are also missing. he is going to ask about those things, for me.

he said there was an article done about the builder and he will call his aunt, who knows about that, where that article can be found.

what I don't like about the boat, itself:

that's a small list. the flat top means that the deck, above the cabin, is not level. it's angled. it has a 1" high toe rail, but I find that small comfort as the deck was slippery. I can only imagine how it would be in heavy weather. choosing a new deck paint with non-slip properties would help that out but I still would prefer a slightly raised cabin and a narrower, level, deck to walk forward on. sound silly, maybe, but I don't swim and I don't fancy slipping overboard when I go up to lash down the jib, in a blow. roller furling would help, but still....

there isn't a ton of head room inside. thankfully, i'm not overly tall. still, it's not great for more than weekends. not that you couldn't do more than weekends. it would be more like camping: uncomfortable, hard on the back, but still fun anyway.

after knowing it was under muddy water, I don't think that motor only needs plugs. however, i'd prefer a quiet, non-polluting, non-stinking battery powered motor, anyway. it has a lazerate, which also needs it's cover, that could house a large marine battery.

don't think I forgot anything. now, my quandary:
Old 11-02-2013

over all, the boat is far better than I had hoped. if the bottom paint is bad and it's coated with barnacles, that will be costly and time consuming. the average cost of hauling, blocking, cleaning, and launching is around $600 for a 24' sailboat, so far. I may be able to dicker a little, if I clean it myself.

on the other hand, if the bottom paint is good and the barnacles are only where I can see them, I wouldn't have to haul it. I could do my repairs on the water. that would drastically reduce the costs.

that being said, there are two arguments in my mind,

argument one:

it's not that bad and wouldn't take much to be a decent weekend cruiser. from what I have seen, it wouldn't cost a lot for the materials to fix it up. the storage is the real price problem. I could weld my trailer, quickly ( I need to stop putting that off anyhow ) and sail my holiday while I worked on it. then, when i'm done and have sailed the 'new' boat for a while, I can decide if I want to sell one of them or whatever. i'm thinking it would be foolish to ever sell the holiday. it's not costing me anything. as long as I have it, i'll have a sailboat. but I could sail the 'new' boat until I was prepared to upgrade and sell it for a few hundred dollars and still make profit.

argument two:

if I have to haul it, that'll be costly, in the short run, and my holiday costs me nothing. which is part of this argument, to wit: I already have a sailboat that needs no work and isn't going to cost me anything. also, as I have been reminded, I have a lot on my plate and do I really need another project? perhaps it would be better to strip it, at high tide tonight, and save my money til I find a better cheap or free boat, that won't take as much work. of course, it would be a shame to let it get cut up, but that's not my problem ( not an actual sentiment that fits my personality. if I choose argument two, I will feel bad about dooming this boat )

so, there you have it. I think I pretty much covered it. that's my dilemma.
Old 11-02-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Did you see the title, or anything else, to tell you what kind of boat it is?
Old 11-02-2013

I didn't see the title. but I know what it is. a few posts back, someone found the same type of boat for sale on ebay. there are pictures of that boat back in the thread. it is, apparently, a Chesapeake, just like the guy said, originally. it's 24'11" LOA. 3" draft. he is supposed to get me the information so I can find and read the article about the builder. this is the boat, un-barnacled. lol. it was built by a local builder who did a very small volume.
Attached Thumbnails
"Free boat" seaworthiness-%24-kgrhquokpyfjldiig1-bscorbt-g%7E%7E60_12.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Do any of the boat people you know know of a scout troop or youth organization that could use the rescue of this boat as a project? A boatbuilding/trade school?

Not to sound paranoid, but having dealt with Misters Murphy & Finagle many times, how much 'cushion' do you have in case something goes wrong with the Holiday or trailer?

I see how having a major 'project' boat would give you something to do when the weather is too bad to take the other boat out (N.B. Fix that trailer first! ), but can you afford the time/money sink this free boat will be? Are there projects you could do for your working boat instead?

Last edited by manatee; 11-02-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Do any of the boat people you know know of a scout troop or youth organization that could use the rescue of this boat as a project? A boatbuilding/trade school?

Not to sound paranoid, but having dealt with Misters Murphy & Finagle many times, how much 'cushion' do you have in case something goes wrong with the Holiday or trailer?

I see how having a major 'project' boat would give you something to do when the weather is too bad to take the other boat out (N.B. Fix that trailer first! ), but can you afford the time/money sink this free boat will be? Are there projects you could do for your working boat instead?
I don't really know any boat people, like that. the ones I do 'know' are up at lake Marburg, in Pa, where I have sailed for the last 17 years. I have started sailing on the Chesapeake, where this boat it, this summer and I don't know anyone here. this boat does not have a trailer and is a keel boat. no one from Pa is likely to be interested in a boat stuck here.

because I love sailboats, i'd like to save this sailboat. he's going to cut it up if I can't take it, and junk it. I would get stuff of off it to use on my holiday, but the boat's fate would be sealed. if I can't take it, finding someone who would is the next best thing but I don't know anyone.

i'm not actually looking for a project, per se. I have tons on my plate, already. but would like a small cruiser with a fixed keel; something kept on the water that I wouldn't have to trailer and raise the mast every time I use it. the holiday is a C/B day sailor. it's an awesome boat, but it's not a fix keel cruiser and I always need someone to help me raise the mast. I can't put it up, hold it up, AND hook up he jib stay all at the same time. the first time I sailed it, I single handed it but I had someone there to help me with the mast, when I launched and retrieved it. keeping a boat on the water would really be convenient if I wanted to go sailing, in a bigger boat, but no one was available to go with me.

as far as cushion, i'm an average working stiff, I live my life without any cushion. when emergencies pop up, I figure out a way. most people I know live that way.
Old 11-02-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well if you can get it to free storage, it might just be worth saving. If you are going to have to pay for storage, then it likely will not. Free boats that can be fixed at home in the back/side yard are not too bad, and it sounds as though you like projects, I think I would have to side with BL Jones on this. Just be ok with the fact that you might have to cut it up and get rid of it if it does not work out. I would set a time limit with yourself, such as if it is not back in the water by the end of summer 2015 then it gets given away or taken to the dump.
Old 11-02-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I agree with miatapaul to a certain extent. I just don't understand why you've "fallen in love" with this boat. It seems clear that this boat sank and was submerged, at least up to 6" below the deck. Based on the mud cakes, the deck was submerged also, and with the stanchions missing, it's a sure thing that the deck core is soaking wet and rotting from the inside. I know the guy seems like a nice fellow, but I still don't think he's giving you the whole story and fessing up to the duration of neglect.

Many use analogies between women and boats. If you compare this boat to the dozens of other neglected boats out there that could be gotten for almost no money (many on trailers), she is a "crack ho." I'd like to see you upgrade at least to some "trailer trash" that you can haul to your property and work on without incurring storage fees, insurance, and other ongoing unavoidable costs.

There's a story behind every derelict boat out there, and most of them start with guys just like you - good skills, eager to find a bargain, but work commitments needed to make a living prevent them from having enough time to make any real progress, so the boats just sit.
jimgo likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.