Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Any chance the aunt would let you keep it there for a nominal fee until you can get the boat seaworthy? Earlier you posted she wanted it moved because nothing was being done to the boat. If you can start making some (even minor, but visible) cosmetic fixes, the aunt might be more accepting. Offer her a sailing picnic once the boat passes sea trials. Can't hurt to ask.

Good luck with her!
(That's her, the boat, and her the aunt.)
TakeFive likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

lol. thanks. I thought of that. but she doesn't know me and her neighbors are complaining about the boat being there. if she is kicking out her kin, I doubt she would let me keep it there, even for rent, til I get it back in order. I had thought of that though. maybe I should think of it some more.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

ok. the plot thickens. found out a bit more. we stopped by to look at the boat, again. I wanted to see it at high tide, when it's actually floating. maybe a bad idea. the motion of a boat on the water is seductive. we went on over, without texting him first. he said I could take it whenever so I figured he wouldn't mind me looking at it again.

I discovered that the halyard is not stuck. so, I can sail it out of there....if I take it, I mean. I won't deny, a big part of me wants to. and, while we were there a younger guy comes out to talk to us. turns out, he is the aunt's actual son...and he lives there. I explained why we were on her property and we had a conversation.

the boat has been there for years, according to him. it was much nicer when it got there. it's been underwater numerous times, some of them not so short. so, that's something to know and it agrees with my own suspicions, after seeing it. tillers don't usually rot in the open air. still, after looking it over again, while floating this time, I can't say that there is structural damage. the deck is solid, except that one spot. the chain plates are solid and the rigging good. the rudder does work just fine, out of the mud.

this guy invited us to come by during the day, tomorrow, if we wish to look at it again. I am going to and, since he lives there, I am going to ask his permission to use the lift so I can see the underside. that would be a big help.

so, there it is, still torn. the history is frightening yet it looks better than it sounds. it is free. it wouldn't cost a ton to get ready to sail. but the marina fees will be something to consider. I did find a better and cheaper marina. they will do monthly and I can get a slip with a lift, if I like.

still considering....
Old 11-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Told you so.

Why would the nephew think he has to lie to you about a boat he's giving away for free? Because anyone who knows about these things knows there are dozens of better free boats that haven't been sunk. Time to fall out of love.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-02-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Jack,

Re: Using the lift to inspect the bottom. A good many (most) sailboats are rounded on the bottom, and motor boats are generally straight. The lift, assuming it is set up for a motor boat, probably has straight bunks. If the sailboat has a significant curve in the hull, the straight bunks might over stress a curved hull. My C22 had a fair amount of curve and trailer bunks were "bent" accordingly. I've seen other small sailboats where the bottom was more straight and straight bunks wouldn't be a problem. Not sure what the boat you are looking at has. If you have access to any literature on this boat, you might look to make sure that the hull is relatively flat.

Fixed keel may or may not cause a problem in getting into the lift. That one is easy, either it will or it won't go into the lift.

Last edited by NCC320; 11-02-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2013

steel is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to anchor the boat for a long period of time, until you can afford the marina? Just get an LED anchor light and a small power source.
Old 11-02-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Some thoughts/concerns:

How big a weather window do you need to get to the marina?

Do you have someone to be chase in case you need powered help?

A working outboard you can rent/borrow?

Do you have/can you make a good emergency tiller? How quickly?

How's the rudder & post holding up?

Can you trust the rigging to get you there?

Should you take it, is the title there, with a bill-of-gift? Don't want you getting canned for piracy, now do we?

Would thinking of the marina charges as paying the mortgage on your boat make them more palatable?

Hope she works out for you. Good luck!
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 11-02-2013

Does the marina require insurance? Can you get a policy on this boat?

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 11-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Jack, I wish you well no matter what road you choose. I respectfully think taking this boat would be a mistake, but you've seen her and know your abilities, time, and resources better than me.

We looked at a boat that we think was damaged by Hurricane Sandy. She had problems near the keel. When the tide was out, she looked beautiful (Islander 28), except for a line about 6" from the cabin floor. It took a while to realize what was happening - you could see where the water would come in as the tide came in. Basically, she sat on the bottom, and the dock lines and bottom kept her from completely sinking. She was at a private dock, and I was afraid she wouldn't even make the trip to a local marina to have her hauled for inspection. Until we saw the water line, my wife was convinced that this was the boat for us. Once we saw the water mark, we knew it was time to walk away. We STILL talk about that boat, how pretty she was, and what a shame it was to have to let her go. But from what we could piece together, the repair costs were more than the boat was worth.

Anyway...good luck. If you do take her, please start a new thread that shows your progress!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Is it possible to anchor the boat for a long period of time, until you can afford the marina? Just get an LED anchor light and a small power source.
Don't forget that when it sinks again at anchor you'll be liable for recovery costs.