Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Don't forget that when it sinks again at anchor you'll be liable for recovery costs.
yeah, but whatever else I may be, i'm not dumb enough to let a boat sit without covers, so it fills with rain water and sinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
yeah, but whatever else I may be, i'm not dumb enough to let a boat sit without covers, so it fills with rain water and sinks.
You're assuming that the boat was sunk by rainwater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
You're assuming that the boat was sunk by rainwater.
I didn't see evidence showing otherwise, but that is a good point. the son, who seemed more than willing to pass along every bit of info he had, said that's exactly what happened each time. they'd raise the boat and then it would fill with rain water, get heavy enough that it would get stuck in the mud at low tide and flood at high tide. I didn't get the impression he had any interest in hiding the facts. rather the opposite. he said he'd scrap it out because he wouldn't trust it. he also said he knew next to nothing about boats. but he was a witness to the events and seemed forthcoming.
Old 11-03-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
I didn't see evidence showing otherwise, but that is a good point. the son, who seemed more than willing to pass along every bit of info he had, said that's exactly what happened each time. they'd raise the boat and then it would fill with rain water, get heavy enough that it would get stuck in the mud at low tide and flood at high tide. I didn't get the impression he had any interest in hiding the facts. rather the opposite. he said he'd scrap it out because he wouldn't trust it. he also said he knew next to nothing about boats. but he was a witness to the events and seemed forthcoming.
Why did they remove the hatches?

My guess: They didn't remove the hatches - they were forced off by the tides and currents after the boat sunk.

So if they didn't remove the hatches, how did the boat sink in the first place?

It takes A LOT of rain water to sink a boat. I'm not aware of boats getting "glued" to the bottom at low tide in a way that would hold them down in opposition to the buoyancy forces when the tide comes in. Maybe a fin keel boat could tip sideways, and a storm with big seas could wash enough seawater into the boat to sink it.

But in general, I'd be suspicious of any hypothesis that this boat was sunk just due to rainwater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 11-03-2013

i'm going to go look at it again tomorrow, to make my decision. then, I will either decide to take it or I will strip it and go home.

it's a tough decision. do I make her mine and bring her back to health or do I treat her like trash, strip her of what I can use, and leave her to her fate? rough though she looks, there she is, sitting on the water, just waiting to be sailed....waiting for someone to give ****. when I stood on her deck leaning against the shrouds with her moving under me on the water, this evening after she was free of the mud, it felt liker home. sailboats have that effect, even when they are in need of help.

but, tomorrow I will give her one last look to make sure I have all the info I can, and didn't miss anything. then I will make my decision. it's funny. whether it's boats or cars or motorcycles, I usually have a pretty dependable gut feeling and my gut isn't screaming walk away. my head is full of doubts, just as it is when setting sail in heavy weather. but my head will always make me pause and fail to rise to the task, if I let it. you can talk yourself out of anything. there are logical reasons not to do just about anything you can think of. think about it long enough, and you'll never take a step outside your door.
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
Why did they remove the hatches?

My guess: They didn't remove the hatches - they were forced off by the tides and currents after the boat sunk.

So if they didn't remove the hatches, how did the boat sink in the first place?

It takes A LOT of rain water to sink a boat. I'm not aware of boats getting "glued" to the bottom at low tide in a way that would hold them down in opposition to the buoyancy forces when the tide comes in. Maybe a fin keel boat could tip sideways, and a storm with big seas could wash enough seawater into the boat to sink it.

But in general, I'd be suspicious of any hypothesis that this boat was sunk just due to rainwater.
it's rained a few times, since he said he pumped it out last. there is about an inch of water in it. no one is bothering to pump it out. it adds up. eventually the boat would sit low in the water, anyway. and you are probably right. it probably tipped on the fin. it was mired in mud at low tide today and it didn't have much rain water in it. I imagine it would be worse with a lot of water, from successive rains. but I don't know that.

that's why i'm not sure.

if I could be sure of it, i'd not hesitate to take it. or, if I had a lot of money, i'd also wouldn't hesitate to take it. but i'm just not sure enough about either my doubts or my positive feelings to easily make a decision.
Old 11-03-2013

i have had it rain really hard for a few days and water collect on the tarp over m holiday. it makes the tarp sag and really fill. if i don't catch it in time, after a few days of heavy rain, the weight is enough to pick up the tongue of the trailer, even though i have a truck wheel on it for weight, and lean her right back til the stern is resting on the ground.

rain can add up quickly and it can get pretty heavy. but, i wasn't there so it's all conjecture. in the end, i have to trust the evidence of my eyes and decide ftom that.
Old 11-03-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
...in the end, i have to trust the evidence of my eyes and decide ftom that.
No, you should get an insurance survey and trust the expert eyes of a trained professional. If he says you can't get insurance, your options may be severely limited no matter how pretty you make the boat look.

Old 11-03-2013

oh. right. lol. well, survey fees are high. if I need a survey to get liability, then it's all off. if I could afford a survey, I wouldn't be concerned with marina fees.
Old 11-03-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
oh. right. lol. well, survey fees are high. if I need a survey to get liability, then it's all off...
So you're going to find out if you need a survey before you make your decision tomorrow?
Quote:
...if I could afford a survey, I wouldn't be concerned with marina fees.
I don't quite understand this statement. In your situation, I'd say you can't afford NOT to have a survey. At the very least, go see if you can find a liability policy that doesn't require a survey. Otherwise you may end up with a boat that nobody is willing to take into their marina.

Love is blind. And just as with women, there's no accounting for some people's tastes.

I still don't understand, with all the free and almost-free boats out there that have never sunk, why are you so obsessed with THIS crack-ho of a boat? Ask the guy to sit on the boat for a week and go look at some others. Do your homework.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.