Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013

Tim Newman is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

I'd buy the boat for $1 rather than accept it as a gift. Legally it will be a lot simpler than trying to explain it was a gift, should the transfer of ownership ever get queried in the future (especially if you come to sell it again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

really? i'm sure he would do that.
Old 11-03-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Since you're making the drive, take the day to walk around some other marinas in the area. Look for boats on the hard with registration stickers from, say, 2008. Those are boats that haven't been in the water for 5 years. See if you can make some kind of deal for one of those.
Old 11-03-2013

that's a good idea. I might just do that. from my GF's apartment ( where I am on the weekends ), it's actually only 5 minutes away. however, there are a good may marinas in the area. it may be worth a day of driving around.

he had emailed me letting me know they had the hatches and asked if I had decided. I was evasive and simply said that I had been checking marinas, which I did, and that I would need til wed, if I take it, to have the money for a marina.

he responded this morning by telling me I had til Wednesday, then ( before it was Monday ), and that, if I wanted, he could help me move it to a marina.

well, I think I will go marina hopping today, while I am out. high tide is at 6:30, still pretty late. I am going to look at it around 4. that halfway between high and low tide. I am going to make my decision, right then, and, if I decide not to take it, I will strip it before I leave.

I want to thank everyone for their input. it's been very helpful, informative, and it's given me lot's of things to consider, while making my decision. regardless of what I choose today, what I have learned in this thread will be a big help as I move into the future.
Old 11-03-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It takes A LOT of rain water to sink a boat. I'm not aware of boats getting "glued" to the bottom at low tide in a way that would hold them down in opposition to the buoyancy forces when the tide comes in. Maybe a fin keel boat could tip sideways, and a storm with big seas could wash enough seawater into the boat to sink it.
Or, some big motorized-holes-in-the-water came through, throwing their tsunami-sized wakes at her while she was vulnerable. At the wrong time, it wouldn't take much to flood the cockpit & overwhelm her. Can you tell how big the drains are, and are they completely clear?

Quote:
When I stood on her deck leaning against the shrouds with her moving under me on the water, this evening after she was free of the mud, it felt liker home. sailboats have that effect, even when they are in need of help.
Ain't that the truth! Careful, Jack,- she's seducing you. Did you get the info about the designer/builder? I can see added attraction in saving a rare breed of boat, if she was basically sound in design & build. Kind of a knight -you- saving a princess -the boat- from a dragon -the sea- story. Romantic? -Yes. Possible? -Probably. Practical? -Maybe not so much.

Too bad you don't know too many people there, you might be able to pull a Tom-Sawyer-and-the-picket-fence. Maybe some of the folk at the marina would be willing & able to help.

It just occurred to me what this reminds me of: Mal Reynolds finding 'Serenity', on that fun old science-fiction show "Firefly". If you could go into this with that mindset, and sustain it, you might pull this off in spite of the steep climb it looks to be.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Since you're making the drive, take the day to walk around some other marinas in the area. Look for boats on the hard with registration stickers from, say, 2008. Those are boats that haven't been in the water for 5 years. See if you can make some kind of deal for one of those.
That works. My brother James got a nice 24' fishing boat, with trailer, from a boatyard it had been in for a long time. The yard wanted $500, Jimmy said "I've got two.", "Sold!" said the yard man,- he even had the title!

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm not going to get emotionally involved with talking you out of this boat. Only trying to be helpful by saying that you are fully rationalizing this situation. At the least, you've admitted to yourself that it will take some money to be usable. While you've convinced yourself that is much less than I believe it will be, this boat is not worth any amount you've talked yourself into. There are boats available at that amount, any amount, that are far superior to a sunken, abandon boat. How long do you think the one sail will last after being at the bottom long enough for the rudder to rot? All the best.........

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Or, some big motorized-holes-in-the-water came through, throwing their tsunami-sized wakes at her while she was vulnerable. At the wrong time, it wouldn't take much to flood the cockpit & overwhelm her. Can you tell how big the drains are, and are they completely clear?

Ain't that the truth! Careful, Jack,- she's seducing you. Did you get the info about the designer/builder? I can see added attraction in saving a rare breed of boat, if she was basically sound in design & build. Kind of a knight -you- saving a princess -the boat- from a dragon -the sea- story. Romantic? -Yes. Possible? -Probably. Practical? -Maybe not so much.

Too bad you don't know too many people there, you might be able to pull a Tom-Sawyer-and-the-picket-fence. Maybe some of the folk at the marina would be willing & able to help.

It just occurred to me what this reminds me of: Mal Reynolds finding 'Serenity', on that fun old science-fiction show "Firefly". If you could go into this with that mindset, and sustain it, you might pull this off in spite of the steep climb it looks to be.
I felt around the cockpit sole, under the water. I checked that as soon as I got there. there are no cockpit drains. it's not self bailing. that would have to change.

that's an awesome movie.
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not going to get emotionally involved with talking you out of this boat. Only trying to be helpful by saying that you are fully rationalizing this situation. At the least, you've admitted to yourself that it will take some money to be usable. While you've convinced yourself that is much less than I believe it will be, this boat is not worth any amount you've talked yourself into. There are boats available at that amount, any amount, that are far superior to a sunken, abandon boat. How long do you think the one sail will last after being at the bottom long enough for the rudder to rot? All the best.........
well, that's one reason i'm going back today: to try to filter out the glamour. I won't deny. it's not fully rational. it's a bit of an adventure, even. the sail hasn't been under water. it never sunk that deep. the water there isn't that deep. it was the tiller, a stick of wood, and not the rudder. however, I do see your point. that's why i'm not just jumping at it.

at some point, like all things in life, you either take the risk or you don't. there are a lot of days I set out in my 9' dinghy ( much much more tender than the holiday ) when a rational man would stay ashore. honestly, a rational man, who couldn't swim like I can't, might think twice about sailing, or at least sailing a small dinghy, at all.

I am going to do my best to make a sound decision but no decision about a boat should be made without an element of passion. it's like marrying a woman, who is a perfect partner, but whom you feel nothing for and don't find particularly attractive. it might be perfectly rational. women, that are truly good partners, are hard to find. rationally, you should suck it up and choose a good partner, but who can be happy with a choice like that? where would be the joy in the living?

I will not take up this project if I don't think I can actually get a good result. if I do take it up, I do so in the attitude that it is an adventure...a quest, if you will. if I was to be completely rational, as has been pointed out, I would have no boat until I was set up financially and had a nice nest egg as an emergency fund. then, I would take real money and find a boat at a reputable broker, one that had been surveyed and proven good.

in fact, if I was a completely rational person, I would have taken swimming lessons and then sailing lessons before ever sailing. a rational person, who can't swim, doesn't go out and get a bunch of books on sailing and sailboat design, buy a really small old dinghy that needs help, itself, and just go sailing. that's crazy. that's how you drown. that dinghy, which has done me so good for 17 years and has had much more time on the water than my holiday, didn't just need some fixing up to make it nice or to make it exactly what I want. it leaked like a sieve. I had to go to shore every half an hour, remove the rubber cork I use for a drain plug, tilt the boat back on the transom while holding the boom out of the way, and drain a ton of water out of it. then back on the water, i'd go. also not rational...but not a mistake. sailing, and that boat specifically, has been one of the greatest elements in my life. it gives me sanity. I have loved that boat, and always will. no matter what boats I have in the future I will always treasure, and always sail, that little dinghy that started it's life with me as someone else's trash.

i'm not saying this boat is another boat, like my dinghy, just that it might be. I am saying I am giving it serious thought before I decide it's a hopeless cause whose time of usefulness is past.

I hope all the people who have posted here don't think their warnings have fallen on deaf ears. they haven't and they have helped me be more critical of this decision than I might otherwise have been. but, in the end, i'm the one who can actually see this boat and i'm the one that knows my capabilities and i'm the one that will be stuck with the outcome of my decision.

if I could download all my sensory input, from checking this boat out, into the computer and you guys could just plug into it, that would be great because you could see what I see. you might have the same dire predictions but you might not, either. with the limited input I can write here and the history I have gleaned, you can't help but only see the bad and it would be unkind of you not to point it out to me and let me walk into a trap, unaware. and I am thankful you guys have done your best to help me avoid a big mistake. your efforts are not wasted. I will be very critical before I make that final decision.
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post

if I could download all my sensory input, from checking this boat out, into the computer and you guys could just plug into it, that would be great because you could see what I see. you might have the same dire predictions but you might not, either. with the limited input I can write here and the history I have gleaned, you can't help but only see the bad and it would be unkind of you not to point it out to me and let me walk into a trap, unaware. and I am thankful you guys have done your best to help me avoid a big mistake. your efforts are not wasted. I will be very critical before I make that final decision.
The Singularity is coming.

~~Dylan Winter,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.