Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

jack: It's great that you are excited and have some background coming from dinghies.

Even a simple keelboat like this has a more complicated hull structure than your Holiday dinghy. Your Holiday is probably a simple 2-piece fiberglass layout with no core. You can't assume that repair work that you've done on a dinghy scales up. For this reason a basic dinghy can be restored from failure much more successfully than a sunken keelboat.

It would take a miracle for a boat to spend significant amount of time under water and not get water into the deck's core. Recoring a deck will cost you a significant amount of time and money. There isn't an easy fix here, the process involves removing one layer of the deck, inserting new core, and epoxying it all back together. I strongly suggest reading about that process before going further.

I know that you have said that the core seems solid. I will say that it takes experience to note delamination damage before it is really bad. A little water will cause a lot of damage with time though. The tapping test can produce a pretty subtle result between "good" and "delaminated".

The primary value on a 24' boat isn't the hull. It is the cushions/interior, outboard motor, and sails. Most used 24' boats sell for less than what these parts would go for on their own. It sounds like out of these items you might be getting some unknown quality used sails for free. It's really not worth it.
Old 11-03-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

If he's *really* lucky, the low-output designer/builder eschewed cores for the more-expensive and stronger solid mat-and-roving construction.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

You're in the trap we all have been in - you look at the boat and see the *potential*, not the reality. You see past the grime and decay to what she *could* be. just estimate the cost first - then double it, that'll probably be closer. Estimate the work, and triple it. Honestly. Boat projects operate in a timewarp, disconnected from reality, where everything takes longer (and costs more). I've been at this for a few years, and it always astonishes me how long a simple task takes - don't ask me why! Something I could do in the shop in 10 minutes takes an hour on the boat...

Yeah, it is an adventure. You're getting a lot of good advice, especially seeing what else you could find for free before you decide. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
just estimate the cost first - then double it, that'll probably be closer. Estimate the work, and triple it. Honestly. Boat projects operate in a timewarp, disconnected from reality, where everything takes longer (and costs more). I've been at this for a few years, and it always astonishes me how long a simple task takes -don't ask me why! Something I could do in the shop in 10 minutes takes an hour on the boat...
Cheop's Law ("Nothing is ever finished on schedule or under budget.") applies to boat repair, too.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

So, The Seafarer 31 is still sitting.. Our new commodore is peeved with the former member that left his boat with us. The owner (tells me it's sold) but has not told anyone else it's "sold" and that it was to be picked up 2 weeks ago.... So... stay tuned on that LOL Looks like keel stepped mast? I'm going to sneak an inside peek this week.

my current "project"!
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
So, The Seafarer 31 is still sitting.. Our new commodore is peeved with the former member that left his boat with us. The owner (tells me it's sold) but has not told anyone else it's "sold" and that it was to be picked up 2 weeks ago.... So... stay tuned on that LOL Looks like keel stepped mast? I'm going to sneak an inside peek this week.
Don't forget to get pix, Superspygal.

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 11-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Here ya go jack! Sail boat
$700 OBO with trailer.

my current "project"!
Old 11-03-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

it's done. I made a decision. we went to several marinas, today, before going to look at the boat again. I saw two boats I know were for sale. one was a tartan 28. very nice the only thing it needs is the inside needs cleaned; not from being underwater but from lax house keeping. not everyone keeps their vessel ship shape and Bristol fashion. $2800 but the owner may be willing to dicker. not a bad price but out of my range, unless he's willing to do a lay away plan over the winter. lol.

the other boat was an oday. I think an oday 28. don't know what they want.

there were two, though, that I really liked. a seafarer, like the one Denise was checking on for me. the paint wasn't as nice but the boat looked good. I am going to call the marina and see if it's for sale. it's apparently been on jacks for some time. the registration sticker was for 07.

the other boat was an Irwin. not sure the model. full, shallow keel. maybe 30 feet. the sticker was for 09. it needs paint. going to call about that, too. not sure if the last two were for sale, yet.

looking at the boat with the rose colored glasses and checking it with a fine tooth comb, I found a few more soft spots in the deck. and I was looking at all those barnacles inside and out. it's too much. I didn't want that to be the case, but I have o be realistic. it's too bad they killed that boat. at one time, it was really nice. if I could have taken the mast and boom I would have. it had roller furling on the main. there was a crank on the front of the mast and you just wind the sale down around the boom and hook up the new tack and clew. sweet. a real shame.

anyhow, I got a lot of stuff. took a bit of work though. I got:

3 winches. I would have taken the 4th but it was too fouled with barnacles to be worth the hard work it took to remove the winches.

I got 3 really nice harken carbon fiber racing blocks. also got a hand full of other blocks.

I got a swivel block with a cam cleat on it.

I got the main sail and it's cover.

I got a bunch of nice shackles, of various kinds. some of them would really be pricy to buy.

I got a Danforth anchor a bit heavier than the one on my holiday.

I got a handful of other mounting hardware.

I got the bow and stern rails.

I got a two burner alcohol stove. one of the flame adjusting wheels is cracked but that's going to be easy to replace and I doubt it will cost much.

there were a few clam cleats I tried to take but they wouldn't come off and it wasn't worth the work chiseling through the thick fiberglass mounting point, so I let them go.

so that's it, for now. I am going to fix my trailer and sail the holiday on the bay and keep my eyes open. i'll call about those other boats but I doubt they will be cheap boats, but you never know.

thanks, again, to all those who took the time to give me advice and things to consider. this was a big learning process and, if nothing else, I know what course I should sail, in the future.
TakeFive, jimgo and Tim Newman like this.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-03-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
If he's *really* lucky, the low-output designer/builder eschewed cores for the more-expensive and stronger solid mat-and-roving construction.
no. I had to chisel some of the hardware off because the screws wouldn't come out. in places where I noted the deck was soft, the core had actually turned to dirt between the laminates.
Old 11-03-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

I think you had a great weekend. Congratulations.