Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
He's right, down here there are a lot of abandoned boats in yards and marinas. The problem is they are often in really bad shape, otherwise owners or yards would have sold them. They've usually sat so long that they need substantial work, structural and otherwise.

The question you have to ask is, "is this boat worth the effort?". Even if it's free, you can expect to put several thousand dollars into it, probably more than you'd pay to buy one in good shape. If it's a high quality build boat, the end result may be worth having, but if it's not, you are just throwing your money away. You have to decide if the quality of the finished boat is worth the investment.

For example, I recently saw a NorSea 27 abandoned in a yard with no rig and no hardware, I figure probably $30k in improvements along with a lot of personal time to work on the boat. The end result, IMO, would be worth it. OTOH there was an abandoned Hunter that had the rig, and was in one piece, but probably wasn't worth the few thousand it would take to get seaworthy again.

Only you can make the decision on what to do, you have to decide if the investment is worth it. My personal opinion is that J-24s are a dime a dozen and you could probably buy one in better shape with the money you'd invest fixing this one up. They are cool boats, but not worth the time and money it would take. That's my opinion, it's up to you to decide.
that's what I aim to do today. see what it will take to fix. if I deem it too extensive, I will walk away. I notice, from the pic, it's missing hatches. that's a cost. it has new sails. that's a lot of money saved. sails aren't cheap even if you get them cheap. if the hull and all the things needed to actually sail are good, just muddy, then it comes down to the interior.

one thing that is for sure, regardless of how 'reasonably priced' and older boat may be, it is highly unlikely, without some miracle, that I will be able to afford one in the next 5 years. but, if this one is worth fixing, I can fix this one up. sail it now, and maybe, if I find one of those reasonably priced boats, in a year or two, sell this one to put towards the cost of a better one. i will probably not get my time or money investment out of it but that's not important. time is mine to spend and money spent over time, to fix something is easier to come by than money saved to buy a better boat. i'm not well to do or even comfortable. when I try to save money, an emergency always pops up to take it. but money spent is money an emergency can't take. I know that sounds illogical but it's how it works.

I guess I will see what the deal is wen I see it, in person. it might be a miracle for this to not be a bad deal but miracles do happen. earlier, this year, I got caught out on lake Marburg, in Hanover Pennsylvania, in a 30 minute squall. 30kt winds that blew in sudden 2' steep waves. I was in my 9' dinghy, of all things. but I saw it coming a few minutes before it hit and I managed to keep her upright and sailing to get back to the dock. it was a tense 20 minutes but I did it. miracles do happen. if you stop believing they can, life gets awful grim.
the question is: is this such a 'miracle'? time will tell.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smier View Post
I have 2 "free" boats. Which is a lie, because both have cost me a fair amount of money. The biggest issue besides all the work, is can you even get legal ownership of this boat? Next, is the boat complete? Some items may be impossible to find for an old boat. Unless it were a really popular old boat with a huge following like Catalina's for example. The fact that you will need to find someplace to pay to store it is a deal breaker for me. Both of my "free" boats sit on trailers for free, and I can work on them in my backyard if I want to. Being realistic, are you willing to spend more to fix this boat up than it is worth? Do you have the tools and equipment to repair this boat yourself? Do you enjoy fixing things? Lots of things to think about...
all very good points. nothing, in life, is free. that's just the truth. you may not be paying a hooker's fee but, if you are having sex, you paid for it, one way or the other. know what I mean?

I do have the tools and skills. I have worked almost all trades in construction, to some degree, all of my life. I built my own chopper, in my mom's driveway; fabricating 80% of the parts from raw materials and modifying another 10% of the bought parts. I didn't chop an existing bike. there simply wasn't one, when I started. I did extensive modification to my 9' dinghy, including designing and making the sail and all the spars and rudder and converting it from dagger board to long shallow keel.

having the skills isn't a problem. time is a worse problem, as is money. but the biggest problem is a place to keep it. if I am lucky, maybe I can afford a spot at a marina and acquire a trailer. I haven't had a chance to check marina costs, although I have an idea of a place. it's too bad i'm not more social. I might know someone, down there, with dock space behind their house, if I was. but I don't.

I was thinking about checking on the cost to have it hauled and keep it on the dry as I get it back into shape. but all that remains to be seen, at this point. but, as you guys point out, that will all go into figuring out if I will take it. he supposedly has the title. so, I can check with the DLLR to see if I can get it free and clear. if I can't, I certainly won't take it. no point in bothering.

I have work to do on my holiday20. it just needs cleaning, but I have to find a way, at my mother's house ( where I keep it ), to remove it from the trailer to weld the trailer, where rust has hurt it. it's been sitting for some time.

worse comes to worse, this boat is on the water, not an hour from it on an unusable trailer. If it's not hopeless, I could clean it up and sail it, now, while I fix my other boat's trailer, then sell it cheap or give it away, in better shape than I found it. people deserve a second chance. why not boats?
Old 10-30-2013

one thing I will say, I don't totally trust this guy. he has been elusive, since the beginning. he wouldn't tell me what it is. I figure he doesn't know. he still hasn't given me the address. he is waiting for the last minute. I can understand that, I guess. I saw the add on craigslist. he doesn't know me and it's at his aunt's house. I might be wary about having some stranger just show up, at her house, too. but still...I am going to be really wary of him and make sure everything is legit.
Old 10-30-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you at least have an idea and a tentative plan, can it be done? Yes:

This represents approximately $750 in repairs to boat and trailer and probably 100+ hours of my time, but I love working on things!

Last edited by Smier; 10-30-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2013

hey. thanks for the support. it's a crazy question but is that at the sailboat launch at lake Marburg, codorus state park? it looks like it.
Old 10-30-2013

in fact....that boat looks familiar. I may have spoken to you, before. either earlier this year or last fall. that's a nice boat. it's cool that you saved it from a fate worse than death. sailboats should be sailing, not rotting away....well, not that fiberglass actually rots lol
Old 10-30-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
here is the picture as she sits. had trouble finding it.
The bumpy surface on the hull: is it mud or barnacles? Barnacles might be a challenge, especially if they have been out of the water long enough to dry out. And, if they are barnacles, it means this boat was under water a long time.

The more the OP tells about the situation, the worse it sounds. Free seems more expensive all the time.
Old 10-30-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

No, I haven't been down that way. I frequent Spruce Run reservoir in NJ and Lake Nockamixon in Pa with the Compac 16. The Starwind 22 in my avatar was also free, but has required more work and $$$. I've been working on it off and on for a year now with an expected launch date of next spring. I am setting it up for long family weekend trips on the Chesapeake. I could make money on the Compac if I sell it, the Starwind I will probably spend just about what it's worth fixing it up how I want it, but I'm going a little crazy on it... This is of course not putting any value on my time invested, but restoring/modifying things is my hobby/stress relief, so it keeps me from strangling my family and coworkers!
Old 10-30-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
one thing that is for sure, regardless of how 'reasonably priced' and older boat may be, it is highly unlikely, without some miracle, that I will be able to afford one in the next 5 years. but, if this one is worth fixing, I can fix this one up. sail it now, and maybe, if I find one of those reasonably priced boats, in a year or two, sell this one to put towards the cost of a better one. i will probably not get my time or money investment out of it but that's not important. time is mine to spend and money spent over time, to fix something is easier to come by than money saved to buy a better boat.
I can understand that for sure. Where are you located?

Be sure to account for storage costs and, if you get overwhelmed, the cost of getting rid of it. For me, I've seen a few free boats I'd take, but I don't have room for them in my back yard and I'm not going to pay to keep it somewhere to work on.
Old 10-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
one thing I will say, I don't totally trust this guy. he has been elusive, since the beginning. he wouldn't tell me what it is. I figure he doesn't know. he still hasn't given me the address. he is waiting for the last minute. I can understand that, I guess. I saw the add on craigslist. he doesn't know me and it's at his aunt's house. I might be wary about having some stranger just show up, at her house, too. but still...I am going to be really wary of him and make sure everything is legit.
Sorry.... based on what we've seen/read here, I'd save myself the trip...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)