Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smier View Post
No, I haven't been down that way. I frequent Spruce Run reservoir in NJ and Lake Nockamixon in Pa with the Compac 16. The Starwind 22 in my avatar was also free, but has required more work and $$$. I've been working on it off and on for a year now with an expected launch date of next spring. I am setting it up for long family weekend trips on the Chesapeake. I could make money on the Compac if I sell it, the Starwind I will probably spend just about what it's worth fixing it up how I want it, but I'm going a little crazy on it... This is of course not putting any value on my time invested, but restoring/modifying things is my hobby/stress relief, so it keeps me from strangling my family and coworkers!
that's wild. the last picture looks like the area at the launch, at Marburg, where people keep their boats and I was talking to a guy with a compact 16, a little while back. it looked like yours. I had never seen one and was interested about the shoal keel's performance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
The bumpy surface on the hull: is it mud or barnacles? Barnacles might be a challenge, especially if they have been out of the water long enough to dry out. And, if they are barnacles, it means this boat was under water a long time.

The more the OP tells about the situation, the worse it sounds. Free seems more expensive all the time.
while I can't vouch for anything the guy says, as I haven't seen the boat yet, it was supposedly not actually under water and the mud on it, now, happened during the last 4 months that he had it and it was on the water. it's a real mystery boat. he still hasn't emailed me the address, yet, and I need to leave in 2 hours to get there.

and, of course, i'm wondering why all the mystery. it makes me very wary. lol. that rhymed. anyway, all the mystery, from him, is making sure I look everything over with a fine toothed comb. if it's just a boat he needs to get rid of, why not be more straight forward? it would be rude to just ask him that, but i'm sure thinking it. but I still can't walk away from a possible opportunity without, at least, looking at it.

Last edited by captain jack; 10-30-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I can understand that for sure. Where are you located?

Be sure to account for storage costs and, if you get overwhelmed, the cost of getting rid of it. For me, I've seen a few free boats I'd take, but I don't have room for them in my back yard and I'm not going to pay to keep it somewhere to work on.
I am located in Frederick, Maryland. the boat is located in Essex, Maryland, where my girlfriend lives. I saw the add and after he told me the boat was in Essex, I immediately asked if it was on back river, which is where I have been sailing my dinghy this summer. sailed in baltimore's inner harbor Monday. that was really cool.

anyway, if I had the time, after I learned about this boat, i'd have gone sailing down back river to see if I could find it.

I don't need to pay someone to work on it. I can do that. but storage is an issue. I don't have a trailer for it and, even if I did, I would have to keep it at my mom's house and she wouldn't go for that. I already keep one boat there. there is a nice marina right at the dock, where I sail from, on back river. it's full service and has floating docks. I was speaking to a guy with a multi-hull, who keeps his boat there, as I sailed by, the first time I sailed there. he says they arte really reasonable but what is reasonable, to him, might be outlandish, to me. that is something I need to check into, yet.
Old 10-30-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road

Seriously don't take it. There's no reason at this point to take a serious fixer upper at this point unless it offers you something that the cheap but not free boat doesn't. If that thing ever sails you will have spent far more fixing it than you would have buying a good cheap boat to begin with. It's very expensive to buy anything at all for a boat so you will be in for several grand easy no matter what. You could spend that money on a boat in better shape that would just sail.

You have to pick the boat you save. You can't save them all. So pick a healthy one.
Old 10-30-2013

Re: j24 seaworthiness

well, sight unseen, I don't know just how bad or good it is. if it's seriously bad, I wouldn't take it.

but it may be a moot point. I called the first marina. obviously, I have different ideas of reasonable than multi-hull guy.

350 for the winter, on the water. not terrible.
650 to haul it, block it up, clean it, and launch in the spring. I wouldn't have to deal with cleaning it, then, at least not the outside. and I would be able to care for the entire hull. no water in the winter but full electric access.
2000 for a year. maybe I am cheap...or just a poor sailor....but that's a good bit.

worst part is, it's all payable up front. even 350, up front, is out of my price range. i'd have had to save up for that and this was unexpected.

it's just too bad i'm not friends with anyone that lives on the water, there.

I will keep checking around back river, though. I can sail it to where it needs to go, but I can't pull money from trees.

I may just have to give it up, regardless of it's condition.
Old 10-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Capt Jack.. I've renamed the thread title because this is in no way a discussion of J-24s..

Your last sentence in your last post gives me hope
CalebD likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-30-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

I cannot believe all the naysaying wet blankets in this thread posting before he's even seen the boat in person. My experience hath shown that those types have issues that have nothing to do with "free boats", the boat simply becomes a metaphor for what is wrong in their lives. I say go see it and if it floats, take it. Heck, a non-working outboard could simply need a new spark plug, a $2 investment that you can sell for $250. New sails you can sell for a damn fine profit. Go for it!
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Capt Jack.. I've renamed the thread title because this is in no way a discussion of J-24s..

Your last sentence in your last post gives me hope
thanks. I was thinking of asking to have it renamed.
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
I cannot believe all the naysaying wet blankets in this thread posting before he's even seen the boat in person. My experience hath shown that those types have issues that have nothing to do with "free boats", the boat simply becomes a metaphor for what is wrong in their lives. I say go see it and if it floats, take it. Heck, a non-working outboard could simply need a new spark plug, a $2 investment that you can sell for $250. New sails you can sell for a damn fine profit. Go for it!
that's my thought. of course, if I find no place to keep it and no way to haul it away, I may have to give up....not that I want to.
Old 10-30-2013

well, he sent me the address. guess I will, at the very least, be taking a look at it. I will let you know how it goes. I will try to take some pics.