Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Good luck. It's hard to resist the siren song of a free boat. But before you take it, consider everything carefully. What if the current owner is lying, and she was under water for more than a few days? What if the missing hatch has allowed water to build up in the cabin and ruined the bulkheads? What if the chainplates are attached to the bulkheads? What if the engine was waterlogged and has tons of salt in it? What if the sails are also full of salt?

Yes, the above can all be fixed. But at what cost? What could you buy for what you'll spend on fixing up this boat? Granted, no boat, not even a new one, is truly perfect right when you buy it, and you'll always want to make changes. But THIS boat isn't going to get you out on the water any time soon, and if it were me, I'd be worrying about what unknown issues are waiting for me. I think I'd pass on this boat and find something else. As you know, there ARE others out there, both free and low cost. Given your representations about your financial status, I'd also suggest that this boat is going to suck more out of your savings than you might like. I'd hate to hear that a fellow Sailnetter bought a boat and it became another "broken dream" boat. I'd rather hear about how you enhanced your existing boats and how much you enjoy them. Keep in mind that salvaging a boat, even a free boat, frequently costs more than you get from the sale of the parts.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Don't take that boat.. my gawd it looks like an EPA disaster! LOL anyway there's a 27ft Nearly free boat in my club, I think it's a swan. Gas engine not an A4 the kid had problems with the carb, and some other things I don't know about but he's not a member of my club anymore and the boat needs to go. I can inquire about it if you want her. The rigged an outboard on it. but that's all I know. never seen the inside of it. She's a keel boat has a cradle Nice lines. kinda Albin like.
jimgo likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

This one just has to take a serious amount of rationalization to make work.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-30-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road

Most respectfully (I mean that!) if $350 is going to slow you down, I think you should definitely not buy the boat. It's just the beginning of a long road. I bought a pretty good boat this summer for $6500. I'm probably going to put $6500 into it this year to fix a lot of things I discovered along the way (this is after having it surveyed). Money just goes. I'm currently spending money I don't have on things I need, but I have a good job and can pay the stuff off. It's a long story.

Seriously though, there are awesome trailerable sailboats and you can have an amazing time on them. I don't regret going with the boat that I ended up with, but an Oday 2+2 or something like that would be cheap and you could do plenty of amazing stuff with it. You'll be learning on a real boat instead of putting money you don't have into something that ultimately isn't worth it. And if you can't afford hauling and launching and dockspace etc...you can't afford it. It's going to not be fun.
Old 10-30-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Almost all boats for sale are overpriced. That includes free ones!
Minnewaska likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Captain Jack! This is the boat that needs to go:

I have a phone number, and I know he owes the club some money. Boat Angel from Ebay had it but the deal went bad so it's still here.
It does float by the way.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-30-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Oh man, that's a beauty Denise! Just what I need, another boat! I. Must. Resist... Haha
Old 10-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

It has nice lines. I don't know that it is a swan but I've been told it is. 70s something is the year. Like most boats up this way, it's never been in the water much.

my current "project"!
Old 10-30-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I would be willing to bet you that the boat, motor, and maybe even the "brand new" sails have spent at least a month (maybe a year or more) on the bottom, and that the interior is just as much of a muddy mess as the exterior. Here's a boat that was floated from the bottom of my river after a couple months, and the one you're interested in is even worse:

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-30-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Might be an Edel.

I agree it looks like it's been raised. Put in a lot of work and you'd have a decent hull & deck moulding to start building a boat with.
Faster likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.