Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
........I could have been sailing it all summer. however, the trailer has rusted out on the central frame beam; the tongue as it extends to the axle. it rusted through right where it hits the axle frame member. I can't get to it to weld it with the boat on it. not having a big fork lift, a crane, or a large pond in my back yard; I am having an issue with getting the boat off of the trailer, in my mom's yard, to fix the trailer. fixing the trailer will be easy. it's getting the boat off of it that is hard and I can't take the boat anywhere to remove it because the trailer is unsafe.......

.......but this boat is already on the water. if I can find a place to keep it, and muster the funds for docking rent.......

.....I can clean her up and sail her anytime I want.

So, what will you do with the Holliday and when will you do it? That rusty trailer is only going to get worse as time passes. Mom isn't going to be too happy with it abandoned in place. Simply getting it moved, or off the trailer is a small issue compared to restoring the free boat to a useable status. The free boat is going to take a lot more than just cleaning her up.

Just my thought, but maybe it's better to deal with the first problem boat (the one in Mom's yard) before taking on another problem boat. Boat yards (and anyone else) are unlikely to accept the free boat on their property as it is now because of the possibility (or rather the likelihood) of it eventually being abandoned on their property. Fix the trailer and use the Holliday for sailing until you get in a better financial situation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If we're pretty sure that this boat spent time submerged, with no hatch, it's going to require much more than cleaning up. Every deck penetration from above and below (typically below is not a concern) that wasn't perfectly bedded, will have let water into the core. Water under pressure, btw. If that penetration and was anywhere near a chain plate, she would be dangerous, even if you cleaned her up and she looked okay. Are you able to determine if she has delamination? Then, can you tell if the standing rigging is safe? How will you get up the mast? When these parts corrode, they can't just be cleaned up, they must be replaced. Otherwise, wire under a thousand pounds of force could slap down on your head.

The points made about negative value are not a concern over resale. The point is that anything you spend on making this boat sailable will be more than you would have to pay to buy the same boat you end up with. Odds are that this boat will be disposable too and then you'll have to give it away or pay to have it scrapped and the money is gone. Better to buy a boat with that same money that will last.

Good luck, everyone is just trying to be helpful.
I know that, dude. I hope you guys don't think I was fussing at you. I wasn't. I know that you guys just don't want to see me get stuck with an albatross around my neck.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
So, what will you do with the Holliday and when will you do it? That rusty trailer is only going to get worse as time passes. Mom isn't going to be too happy with it abandoned in place. Simply getting it moved, or off the trailer is a small issue compared to restoring the free boat to a useable status. The free boat is going to take a lot more than just cleaning her up.

Just my thought, but maybe it's better to deal with the first problem boat (the one in Mom's yard) before taking on another problem boat. Boat yards (and anyone else) are unlikely to accept the free boat on their property as it is now because of the possibility (or rather the likelihood) of it eventually being abandoned on their property. Fix the trailer and use the Holliday for sailing until you get in a better financial situation.
that is looking like what is going to happen. which might be the start of another post: how does one man, with no crane or other equipment, get a 20' 1000# boat off of a trailer and back on again? lol. I have some ideas. I just haven't had the chance to put them to the test.. then, this boat 'opportunity' came up.
Old 10-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Jack, why not see if you can rent some jack stands or rig a cradle for the boat? If you lift the boat with the stands/cradle (my thought was four car jacks under the cradle), you may be able to slide the trailer out. Or, heck, at 1000 lbs, get all the crap out of the boat and get 10-15 friends to help you lift it.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

denise030 asks a really good question. what have I been looking to get out of this boat ( to paraphrase a bit )? well, I would ideally like something a bit more seaworthy and stable than a day sailor. something I could, at least, do an overnight or weekend in. I would like to start cruising the bay, proper, and I think something more than a day sailor would be best. I don't need big, though. like I had mentioned, earlier, a Nordica/halman 20 or a flicka would be ideal. but, something around that range would be what I am seeking. that 27 footer is beautiful and early free, as she says, but, realistically, i'd not only have to find a place to keep that boat but I'd also have to transport it down here. that's really more boat than I can handle, at this point in life. I think 25' would be maximum. a little less would be a bit better. this boat looked as if it might have been an opportunity for that. but....maybe not. lol
Old 10-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
denise030 asks a really good question.
She does that a lot.

Quote:
that 27 footer is beautiful and early free, as she says, but, realistically, i'd not only have to find a place to keep that boat but I'd also have to transport it down here.
Negotiate with the club to store her there over this winter, then sail her down in the spring.

Quote:
that's really more boat than I can handle, at this point in life.
I'm confused, then, why you think you'll be game for gutting the other boat while she's in the water. That's going to be a physically demanding job, probably moreso than motor-sailing that 27 from Philly to the Chesapeake.

Quote:
I think 25' would be maximum. a little less would be a bit better. this boat looked as if it might have been an opportunity for that. but....maybe not. lol
I'm in my 40's, so maybe I don't have the right perspective. A 25' and 27' boat are going to have close to the same sail area, so the force on the sail is going to be approximately the same. That means that the strength you'll need to wrestle the 27's sails will be about the same as a 25. If the issue is with the ability to control a 27' when you're used to something smaller, I wouldn't worry too much. We jumped from a 14' rental to a 25'. It took about 3 tries docking to start to get comfortable. The next year (this past season) we jumped to a 31. I think the "new" boat is easier to handle than the 25.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Jack, have you considered crewing on others boats? For example, I'll be overnighting and crewing on a friends 28' Catalina this weekend, some of us are always looking for crew just to get out and have a good time sailing.
Old 10-31-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...how does one man, with no crane or other equipment, get a 20' 1000# boat off of a trailer and back on again? lol. I have some ideas. I just haven't had the chance to put them to the test.. then, this boat 'opportunity' came up.
V-e-r-r-r-y carefully?
"Egyptian technology" - read "Wooden Boats",by Ruhlman, to see how the folk at Gannon & Benjamin boatshop on Martha's Vineyard use the simplest of tools to move the heaviest of boats.

"Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I shall move the world."
--Archimedes of Syracuse
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 10-31-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
twhich might be the start of another post: how does one man, with no crane or other equipment, get a 20' 1000# boat off of a trailer and back on again? lol. I have some ideas. I just haven't had the chance to put them to the test.. then, this boat 'opportunity' came up.
Dude, I do it all the time, with a bunch of cinderblocks, two 10' long 8" thick locust logs with slabbed ends (to prevent rolling) and a car jack. Easy peasy. Set the blocks wide enough for the trailer to pass between them. I have 3 boats and 2 trailers which I swap between the boats as I need.

Last edited by krisscross; 10-31-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
$350 isn't what would slow me down. it's $350 right now all at once. I can't just pull money out of my butt. if I could i'd spend all day picking my ass. lol. seriously, though. I need time to gather that kind of money. I can't just yank it out of the bank. I don't have it.
If $350 presents a problem for you at any time, you can't afford a sailboat of any kind.

Trust me.

There's a very good reason why $1000 is called a "Boat buck".

Here's a fresh, concrete example. On Tuesday two friends & I brought my 30' boat down from its berth to be hauled for the winter.

Out of pocket expenditures for me were as follows;

$20 - Food & drink for the trip.
$15 - Gas for the car for the trip.
$10 - Diesel for the boat.
$350 - Haul, pressure wash & block the boat.

And that's only the start - now the real expenses begin.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.