Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: "Free boat" seaworthiness

Jack I did send you a pm. We are on the Delaware River. and you can take her all the way home by water. You need the experience anyway; find a friend that knows the way and has a 6-10 hp 2 stroke outboard, come see the boat, which Is is nearly free since the club only wants it's storage fee, far as I know. BUT, you keep saying you don't have anywhere to take the boat. Consider joining a YC. way cheaper then marinas in most cases.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
She does that a lot.

Negotiate with the club to store her there over this winter, then sail her down in the spring.

I'm confused, then, why you think you'll be game for gutting the other boat while she's in the water. That's going to be a physically demanding job, probably moreso than motor-sailing that 27 from Philly to the Chesapeake.

I'm in my 40's, so maybe I don't have the right perspective. A 25' and 27' boat are going to have close to the same sail area, so the force on the sail is going to be approximately the same. That means that the strength you'll need to wrestle the 27's sails will be about the same as a 25. If the issue is with the ability to control a 27' when you're used to something smaller, I wouldn't worry too much. We jumped from a 14' rental to a 25'. It took about 3 tries docking to start to get comfortable. The next year (this past season) we jumped to a 31. I think the "new" boat is easier to handle than the 25.
negotiating is an idea. I will have to consider that. I didn't mean more than I can handle as far as size. from my experience, it's actually easier sailing a bigger boat. less tender, etc. my 9' dinghy is the most challenging boat I have sailed, once the wind gets up, even if it was my first boat. when I bought the holiday, I will admit I saw the size and was a tad nervous about it, but it's a lot easier to sail than my dinghy. the first time i took her out, I single handed her. hell, she even sailed herself, one time, while I was up on the bow lashing down the jib, after lowering it due to suddenly high winds. that's a funny story, too. never tell a person who hasn't sailed," hold her steady as she goes", as you get up and walk to the bow of a boat. you really need to make sure they understand they have to hold the tiller, first.

I meant that I am thinking a boat nearly 30 feet would cost more to maintain and store. when calling marinas, they all asked the size of the boat before giving me a price. but, I do see what you mean. 24' to 27' is only 3'. lol.
jimgo likes this.

Last edited by captain jack; 10-31-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Jack, why not see if you can rent some jack stands or rig a cradle for the boat? If you lift the boat with the stands/cradle (my thought was four car jacks under the cradle), you may be able to slide the trailer out. Or, heck, at 1000 lbs, get all the crap out of the boat and get 10-15 friends to help you lift it.
both of those are good ideas. I didn't know you could rent those.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smier View Post
Jack, have you considered crewing on others boats? For example, I'll be overnighting and crewing on a friends 28' Catalina this weekend, some of us are always looking for crew just to get out and have a good time sailing.
that's a thought. it would get me practice with bigger boats; winches and stuff. I don't really know anyone with a bigger boat, though. hmmm. no. that's a lie. practically everyone at Marburg knows me. I might have to ask someone about that, next time i'm up there.

although, I'll be honest, throughout my sailing life, I've never let a little thing like not having ever done something slow me down. lol. but a bit of practice would make it easier when i'm the skipper of my own cruising sailboat.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
V-e-r-r-r-y carefully?
"Egyptian technology" - read "Wooden Boats",by Ruhlman, to see how the folk at Gannon & Benjamin boatshop on Martha's Vineyard use the simplest of tools to move the heaviest of boats.

"Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I shall move the world."
--Archimedes of Syracuse
yeah. I have been toing with some of those types of ideas. i will have to check out that book. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Dude, I do it all the time, with a bunch of cinderblocks, two 10' long 8" thick locust logs with slabbed ends (to prevent rolling) and a car jack. Easy peasy. Set the blocks wide enough for the trailer to pass between them. I have 3 boats and 2 trailers which I swap between the boats as I need.
ok. that's a really good idea. you guys are great, on this site. some sailing blogs I have read posts from the people are buttholes to each other. you guys are really helpful and well meaning. glad I signed on!
Old 10-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Regarding costs, I forget where you said you are, but if you're anywhere near Elk Neck, try Hance's Point Yacht Club. It's a DIY marina. I was there when I looked at boats 2 years ago, and I liked it. It is inexpensive, and in a nice location, and according to the guy selling his boat, it was what he would miss most about owning a boat (not that he didn't love his S2). From what I remember the prices were VERY reasonable. Hances Point Yacht Club - HPYC Main Page
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
If $350 presents a problem for you at any time, you can't afford a sailboat of any kind.

Trust me.

There's a very good reason why $1000 is called a "Boat buck".

Here's a fresh, concrete example. On Tuesday two friends & I brought my 30' boat down from its berth to be hauled for the winter.

Out of pocket expenditures for me were as follows;

$20 - Food & drink for the trip.
$15 - Gas for the car for the trip.
$10 - Diesel for the boat.
$350 - Haul, pressure wash & block the boat.

And that's only the start - now the real expenses begin.
only $350 to haul, block, and wash? that's a lot better than the price I was quoted! they wanted $650.

I know, everyone says how expensive boat ownership is, and I am sure it can be, but neither of my boats have ever cost me much. of course, not having a motor helps. the holiday came with an outboard, which I bartered for something else. I sail where I go and, if I really have no wind and just can't wait, I have oars or can scull. but, of course, you can't do that, so easily, with a 30 foot boat. no problem with a 20 foot boat, though.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Jack I did send you a pm. We are on the Delaware River. and you can take her all the way home by water. You need the experience anyway; find a friend that knows the way and has a 6-10 hp 2 stroke outboard, come see the boat, which Is is nearly free since the club only wants it's storage fee, far as I know. BUT, you keep saying you don't have anywhere to take the boat. Consider joining a YC. way cheaper then marinas in most cases.
cool. thanks. I will read your pm. I didn't think a yacht club would be cheaper. boy, this boat has started a learning process, whatever else happens with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to captain jack For This Useful Post:
34crealock (11-01-2013)
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Regarding costs, I forget where you said you are, but if you're anywhere near Elk Neck, try Hance's Point Yacht Club. It's a DIY marina. I was there when I looked at boats 2 years ago, and I liked it. It is inexpensive, and in a nice location, and according to the guy selling his boat, it was what he would miss most about owning a boat (not that he didn't love his S2). From what I remember the prices were VERY reasonable. Hances Point Yacht Club - HPYC Main Page
thanks. I will check with them that's just a little farther up the bay from where the boat is.