Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

27 and reaching is on a distinguished road
Question Sail purchase options

Who has had a good experience in replacing worn sails with one of the on line lofts? Some are twice as expensive as others. I don't need off shore, but just good quality, reasonably priced in land lake sails. Any experiences??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road
Re: Sail purchase options

FX sails.

I puchased a main and 150 for a catalina 27 that I've had for 3 years now. I sail them pretty hard and couldn't be happier.
I just bought a 135 last month from them and have been very happy with that one as well (though they only put 2 rows of telltales on instead of a more useful 3).

I also purchased a sailcover from them 3 years ago. It didn't fit but one phone call later, I got the correct one sent out with zero hassle and an apology.

The sails are made in florida I believe, and you can speak to people on the phone who are very knowledgeable and responsive. I believe Bill James is the guy to speak with.

Last edited by weinie; 10-30-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2013

27 and reaching is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I also sail a Catalina 27, so I guess they cut your sails correctly! That was my "other" worry!
Old 10-30-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I purchased a new main this spring from JSI/Island Nautical. Very happy with the sail - great shape, nice construction details, fits perfectly, and good price. Main reason I went with them as they worked with me on installing the Dutchman system reusing some pieces from my old main. They build their own sails (Hyde and Doyle franchises). I would buy from them again. Here's a link.

Tampa Bay's Sail loft of choice!

There have been some good reviews here about National Sail Supply which is a Rolly Tasker dealer. Sails are made in the Far East but use high quality sailcloth from the major cloth makers. I got a quote from them but they wouldn't work with me on the installation of the Dutchman system. Their basic quote was slightly lower than JSI, but total would have been higher after I took the new sail to a local loft to have the system installed.

Custom Sails | National Sail Supply

A friend has a main from FX Sails and it seems pretty decent. Don't think the shape is quite as nice as my Hyde from JSI, and construction details are not quite as nicely done. Price I got from them was higher than JSI or National Sail.

With any online loft you have to take your own measurements. Download their form to see what's involved.
Old 10-30-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a 135% genoa from National Sail Supply for my Catalina 34. I only used it a few times before the season ended but the sail looks great and they were good to deal with. They have a Catalina section on their website so they will already have the measurements for your boat (doesn't hurt to double check of course).

Sails for Catalina Sailboats
Old 10-30-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road

I bought new sails for my '72 Pearson 26 from thesailwarehouse.com . The sails were Rolly Taskers, and the rep I dealt with via email and telephone, Jim Johns, was very helpful, very quick to reply, and very knowledgeable. The sails are made very well, were a HUGE step up from what I had, and as reasonably priced as any new sails I found any where. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again anytime.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to bblument For This Useful Post:
budvar (11-29-2013)
Old 11-01-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

I started a recent thread where several posted their experiences with discount internet lofts.

My Peak Sails Experience
Old 11-02-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

National Sail in FL. The two roller furling sails I bought from them are excellent. I would definitely buy from them again. Rolly Tasker sails with great support.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse