Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: What is the best way to Tarp a sailboat for winter

I have done both on the same boat BUT NOT at the same time

The LARGE flair in the J24 hull let me get away with NO tarp damage

The FLAT topsides Cal 29 would get the carp smacked out of it as a normal winter here will have several storms with LONG periods of time with 60 MPH winds
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Not exactly what you are looking for, I know, but these photos may give you some ideas.

These awnings were not designed for winter. We had them made in Hawaii and are typical of the set ups you find there to keep the sun and rain off and make a live-aboard more comfortable. But we now find ourselves in our fourth winter in snow conditions; our second winter in Alaska, and have learned they work very well in snow too.

The set consists of five pieces: one over the bow cut like a narrow triangle with the tip cut off, one large piece abaft the mast, and two smaller pieces enclosing the stern. We have had them up in winds over 40kts and with 18 inches of snow on the docks with no problem. They are made of Sunbrella secured with 3/16 polyester rope.

To be ideal for storage, they should be much lower and have some additional support for the main section but the cut would be similar. This set is fifteen years old (Photos taken Nov 2012) and is still in excellent condition.

Made to set lower, with the bottom flush with the deck instead of the lifelines and with a wooden frame with battens nailed on the outside, this arrangement would be about as bomb proof as you could hope for. Added benefit is that you could still easily get aboard to work in the cabin.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Last edited by vega1860; 10-30-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-30-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Dropping the mast allows you to use inexpensive tarps instead of custom covers. Very easy with a gin pole on a 25 foot boat. May not be so simple on a 30 footer, especially if you have dual pairs of spreaders.

I get extra heavy duty tarps (9-11 mils thick), they're worth the extra premium and still inexpensive. They have a bolt rope to reinforce the grommets. I've gotten 3 winters out of them so far - might get a fourth, depending on how they look when I inspect them in a couple weeks.

Note that the pictures below were taken before I finished tying up the bow area:

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-30-2013

Grampian1989 is on a distinguished road

Do you guys take out your batteries?
Old 10-30-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampian1989 View Post
Do you guys take out your batteries?
I just read this article by Maine Sail: Effect of Winter on Battery Self Discharge Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

The gist seems to be that if a battery is 100% charged, just unhook it and leave it.
Old 10-30-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

OK - no expert here, no advance PhT degree, but this is the way I have done it on three different boats (T22, T28 and Irwin 34) for more than fifteen years. We live where it can get to more than -20 C and lots of snow and wind can happen: (masts for all our boats come down)

1 - we build a frame and put carpet or something where the tarp will rub

2 - we wrap it up and tie it down.

And, we check it on a regular basis.

Batteries stay in, cushions, sails, dodger etc come off.

Rik
Old 10-30-2013

mgb69 is on a distinguished road
What is the best way to Tarp a sailboat for winter

I covered my Mirage 24 for the first time last year (about to do it again).
Having looked online I used a variation of the mast down system.
I made 3 braces to support the mast above the deck (level and high enough for airflow)
Then I bought a bunch of inexpensive PVC electrical conduit - zip tied it to the toe rail on one side bowed it over the mast and zip tied to the opposite toe rail (drilled holes through the conduit).
Then I loosely tied a good quality tarp over the boat, followed by a large section of fish net. The netting was pulled tight, kept the tarp in place and didnt wear. Protected the tarp with carpet sections where it would chafe.

Worked great. I'm in Nova Scotia and it shed snow well, withstood some serious windstorms. Boat was great in the spring.

I used an inexpensive plastic shipping wrap to hold thing together - keep carpet in place, secure shrouds etc.
Sorry - no handy pics.

Mark
Old 10-30-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I see that the vast majority of people don't take their lifelines down. In the pictures anyways. The marina i used to store at everyone took their lifelines down. I always do. I moved my boat down the canal this year away from the snowbelt (250" yr). I know you would never shrink wrap a boat with lifelines up. I've seen what happens; can snap them right off. With the mast down on tall crutches what do you guys think about going over the lifelines with a tarp??
I always tarp so far. I finally bought a thick vinyl tarp 20 x 46 and custom cut and glued it myself. I got tired of buying a new HD poly tarp every year. The wind was ripping them apart. They were tied well by the way. I watched shrink wrap blown off as well. My old storage yard was wide open to the northwest winds. 60 miles of fetch.
Old 10-30-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

By the way; if i tied my boat in my previous marina as loose as some of the tarps i see in these pictures it would be gone in a week. You guys most have some protected storage areas.
Old 10-30-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

I've tarped mast up and mast down. It's a hell of a lot easier down.

When the mast was up I used two tarps with sawhorses out of 2x4's as necessary.

Build the frame high to shed the snow. Don't trust the grommets. Wrap the tarp around. Golf ball and wrap a slip knot around that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.