Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
With our previous boat (Grampian 34 centre cockpit) we tarped every year. We get real winters up here on the north shore of Lake Superior, so our tarp had to keep the snow out while standing up to severe winter storms.

After a few versions I settled on making a frame of flexible plastic conduit (1" perhaps 1 1/2"). I tied the arches to a 3/8" line that I used as a ridge pole/backbone. The conduit was secured to the toe rail and tie-wrapped to the spine. The tarp was then draped over and secured down to the cradle.

The benefit of this system is that it flexes with the wind. Using this we never ripped the tarp, and always kept the snows out. It's also easy to set up and store.
jimgo and Minnesail like this.
Old 10-31-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Re: What is the best way to Tarp a sailboat for winter

Take a walk through the yard. You are bound to see plenty of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I store mast up. My system consists of using the boom and whisker pole as the centerline supports and them have hoops using 1 inch PVC conduit (like Mike above) that attach to the boom or whisker pole and the toerail. Without the hoops, snow and water will collect. I use two tarps, a bit oversized and slit at necessary points to get around shrouds etc. and reinforced with Gorilla tape. I strongly recommend buying a heavy duty tarp (silver) not the light blue or green ones. MUCH more durable, don't flap nearly as much due to the additional weight, and twice as many grommets that don't pull out. I'm on my fourth season with mine. Buy them online and they are about the same as the cheap blue ones at the local hardware store.

Heavy-Duty Silver Poly Tarps at Tarp & Cover Superstore
asdf38 likes this.
Old 10-31-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Where I live, boats stay in the water. I've only seen two or three boats that have actually been hauled and shrink wrapped. When my boat was on its trailer, I used tarps to cover most of the deck. I'm looking at making a boat cover someday out of sunbrella hoping that it would last longer than the tarps.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 10-31-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I never have had the plastic type tarps make it though the winter they always tear apart. The yard this year has banned them from boats due to the damage they do to the boats once they start flapping all over.

So I thinking in spending some cash this year for a good canvas tarp. But just to keep the snow out of the cockpit so I can get onto the boat in early spring.

My boat doesn't leak
Delta-T likes this.
Old 10-31-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I never have had the plastic type tarps make it though the winter they always tear apart. The yard this year has banned them from boats due to the damage they do to the boats once they start flapping all over.

So I thinking in spending some cash this year for a good canvas tarp. But just to keep the snow out of the cockpit so I can get onto the boat in early spring.

My boat doesn't leak
You are correct that many yards have banned them because they can and often do damage other boats in the process. A flapping grommet in 25 knots can do a number on a 15K Awlgrip job......

A well done home made tarp can be fine, but they are often not "well made"...

Fail:

Fail:

Fail:

Fail:

The key design criteria up here is PITCH, PITCH, PITCH. These covers MUST be able to SHED snow or they very often fail........

Personally I build my own framing and a buddy with the tools shows up helps me shrink it. I would get my own guns but he is so reasonable it would be too long of a pay back...

Our cover design has never held snow nor does any part of the cover or frame every touch our painted topsides.

Getting ready to frame her up:

Framing in progress:

My latest cross tie design can be removed for winter work and replaced from inside the cover.

Another design I came up with is to build into my winter cover a "vestibule"... No opening a cheesy zip door or fighting to get on-board I simply walk out the barn and up the ladder.... The barn also has its own shore power outlet on the second floor...

Sleek, slippery, easy winter access and does not touch the painted hull. Most importantly it never holds or retains any snow. The minute it gets to 1/4" to 1/2" it avalanches and comes off in sheets...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-31-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Old Indian trick

Believe it or not, buffalo hides for tipis did NOT come with grommets. So here is a genuine "old Indian trick".

Place a smooth roundish object, a small marble or smooth pebble, behind the fabric and push it towards you and tie around it so it's in a tight pocket. You should see the shape of the pebble/marble on your side with the tie rope on your side and behind the pebble. This is much stronger than a grommet, and you can do it wherever you need a tie, but where possible do it on the hem or a seam for strength. Be aware that it's heavier than a grommet, it's up to you to make sure it won't flap and flail around. Mine don't sit against the boat.

As Maine Sail says, steep pitch is everything. I also like the ridge high so I can get in there comfortably. And I like some opening at the ends for ventilation.

I have one tarp that's been on continuously for three years (stored), it just split a few days ago at the ridge. It's still dry and pleasant in the boat.
Old 10-31-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

This isn't quite the right thread for this but what are thoughts about leaving batteries in over winter?

Now that I have a proper solar panel and controller I was considering leaving the batteries on-board over the winter with the panel (on the stern rail) exposed.

I'm guessing that with the silver tarp enough light won't get through for the solar right? I've heard that shrink wrap lets in enough light normally to keep batteries topped off.

This saves me lugging them in and out and gives me lights and power over winter.
Old 10-31-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

No need to remove the batts. as long as you have a full charge on them and disconnect them. Batts will lose like 2% a month. I would not keep the solar hooked up unless you are going to check water levels. Assuming you have non sealed wet batts.
Old 10-31-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

I'm always impressed by the engineering I see in these tarp threads. But every year I see ripped tarps flapping in the boatyard. Their sound is as much a part of winter as slapping halyards and wind through the rigging.

My boat came with a Fairclough winter cover (thanks to the original owner). It does a good job of protecting the boat and it's held up incredibly well -- it's now 18 years old and is showing no signs of failing.

They're not cheap, but they're a good investment and good quality covers aren't prone to failure. Mine goes on in less than an hour with two people and is fitted to the boat.

Just my 2 cents.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.