Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Interesting boat movie trailer (liveaboards)

Big money came in with developments and "them" folks did not like seeing live aboard's in the bay from their multimillion dollar mansions. Looking forward to the full length documentary. The sad story as of today, is that most of these folks have now left. My wife and I always thought the live aboard's added character to a community that was rapidly heading towards vanilla.

Against the Tide
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting boat movie trailer (liveaboards)

...this poignant and timely film reveals the unique lifestyles of the mariners and misfits who live illegally aboard their boats in Eagle Harbor...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-30-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
Big money came in with developments and "them" folks did not like seeing live aboard's in the bay from their multimillion dollar mansions. Looking forward to the full length documentary. The sad story as of today, is that most of these folks have now left. My wife and I always thought the live aboard's added character to a community that was rapidly heading towards vanilla.

Against the Tide
Looks like a very fine film, BUT, where/when can I see it??? I found no place on the web site for the trailer.

TV, movie, where?

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 10-30-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Looks like a very fine film, BUT, where/when can I see it??? I found no place on the web site for the trailer.

TV, movie, where?

Greg
I have an email into them asking that very question. I'll post back when I get an answer.

Last edited by kellysails; 10-30-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...this poignant and timely film reveals the unique lifestyles of the mariners and misfits who live illegally aboard their boats in Eagle Harbor...
Appears you don't need to watch the film.
Slayer likes this.
Old 10-30-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My wife and I always thought the live aboard's added character to a community that was rapidly heading towards vanilla
Don't loan your dinghy to any of those "characters".
Old 10-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We have the same situations here on the BC coast, in most communities in the southern Georgia Strait/Gulf Islands/Howe Sound areas. I have little sympathy for the waterfront homeowners' objection to the 'view'.. I'd rather look at boats anyway. I might not enjoy looking at a rotting tarped rustbucket, however, but beyond the visual such a vessel is an environmental incident waiting to happen...

I think the major issue today with this scenario is the 'dumping' aspect. Many of these vessels never move, in fact some cannot move under their own power so it's clear nobody's heading to the pumpout station on a regular basis. And this is usually in an area declared as a no discharge zone. In today's environmentally aware world that's not so cool. I do think, though, that complaining residents use that as the reason though it's more about 'why should they enjoy this view without paying the same taxes I do'

Around here, when vessels do get turfed, they simply go somewhere else, often to eventually be moved off again. We have had cases where extremely derelict vessels have sank, or blown ashore in a storm, spilling fuel and other debris and not necessarily dealing with the results themselves. This leaves recovery and clean up up to the municipalities or harbour authorities.

Living on any boat in a harbour has to be preferable to sleeping on the streets, but unsound vessels barely afloat, anchored in a way that begins to congest fairways and access to others does create problems in those areas. There's no easy solution - so far the most expedient 'cure' has been to find a way to move them out - only to become someone else's "problem".

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-30-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Interesting. In Oz (well Sydney at least) you may not leave a boat permanently anchored live aboard or no live aboard. Indeed it is, strictly speaking, illegal to live on your boat even on a permanent mooring. For any boat on a registered mooring you must be able to prove the boat is seaworthy and capable of moving under its own steam.

Otoh, provided you do not make a spectacle of yourself the authorities tend to leave you alone, indeed a mate of ours who is a blatant liveaboard was warned his boat would be impounded unless he had her pulled and antifouled.

What this does achieve is a relatively tidy waterfront where the tossers in their harbourfront piles have little to whine about.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Thankfully, if I ever live aboard, the last thing I would want to do is stay in the same place all the time. Isn't that just the same as living on dirt, only wetter? What's the point?

The laws surrounding this are completely clear. The Federal Government owns the coastal waters. They gave each State the right to make whatever laws they choose out to 3nm (which by the way is why no-discharge limits are set there, it has nothing to do with a scientific distance). Some States then passed those rights to their local municipalities.

Therefore, the voters in those States are fully empowered to decide what rules apply to these waters and dirt dwellers grossly outnumber liveaboards. Many like to blame the rich, but even a majority poor dirty dwellers don't like junk in the harbor. Democracy is what it is.

The politics of it are what get very complicated. Many dirt dwellers would be sympathetic to evicting the poor or near homeless, and therefore, you find a political standoff.

I would be interested in seeing the film. I am of the opinion that people should be permitted to live aboard. However, the boat should meet minimum standards, just like building codes require ashore. You can't flush your toilet into the street, for example. If it sinks, it will create an environmental or navigation hazard that would be born by all citizens. If you require rescue, that will cost society as well. I would also favor a requirement that you move from time to time (30 days is too short), unless you pay rent for the public property below your keel.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-31-2013

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road

We had a similar problem up in Falmouth, Maine a few years back. The harbor had been used by lobstermen and a few draggers, on moorings they rented or paid for, for about two centuries. Then a number of rich people moved in and wanted the harbor cleared of commercial fishing vessels because they and their crews looked "icky"

FYI: these people were mostly from NYC and surrounds looking to live their "green" lifestyle and escape the city hassles and problems....which they managed to bring with them. Fortunately their betters prevailed and, as far as I know, commercial vessels are allowed to use Falmouth.

PS: I am currently in the Western Gulf with the dawn just coming up over 9 foot "garden wall" seas and blowing 30 knots out of a blue sky....SO beautiful here!!!!