Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By davidpm
  • 3 Post By TakeFive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

mnbv is on a distinguished road
Repositioning other peoples' boats?

Hi everyone,

Please could you tell me if it's possible to get cheap/free/paid sailing repositioning other peoples' boats? Is there an industry website that matches sailors and owners?

Would there any minimum qualification requirements (would rya dayskipper be enough?)

Thanks,

mnbv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Repositioning other peoples' boats?

Boat Owner Survey

This guy has been doing it for years. Sign up with Hank and if you can stand a watch by yourself you can help people move their boats.
You will not get paid and will have to pay for your own land transportation unless it is last minute.

After Hank gets to know you and if you have a captains license you can be recommended to move a boat as the skipper and get paid. You have to get known however as their are lots and lots of guys with a lot of experience that do that kind of work.
It pays from 2 to 4 hundred per day plus expenses depending on the gig.

It is not as much fun as you would think. About two weeks ago I helped a guy move his boat from Mystic to Norfolk, took 62 hours, we motored about 35 hours. One guy dropped out so it was just the two of us. We did 3 hours on 3 hours off.
When you are doing a boat move it is not usually a fun sail, you usually have a deadline and have to push the weather, motor a lot and beat into wind if that is what is needed.

This last move I did was better than most because the guy really knew the boat. When you are moving a strange boat that adds another unpleasant factor.

I still do it though for the miles. I learn something every time. I figure the more I learn on someone elses boat the cheaper it will be for my insurance company both marine and life.
bljones likes this.

Last edited by davidpm; 10-30-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

MNBV,

I helped pay for college doing deliveries. It really helps to have at least a six pack since most insurance companies pretty much approve anyone with a license at all. I got a lot of work from the yard I worked at, at from doing races to some random destination, then taking boats back. I also passed out a lot of post cards with a brief resume and contact info everywhere I went.

As David mentioned deliveries can be pretty miserable. Poorly outfitted boats are pretty common, and delivering racing boats is the worst. Think moving a boat on the engine only because the owner doesn't want to use up racing sails, so no steadying sail, just slow motoring for days.

The upside is you can generally bring friends to help stand watch (on their dime).

Technically you don't need any license, but many insurance companies require one.
Old 10-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

To be compensated in the US, you must be licensed, but the reference to the RYA suggests the OP is not.

I'm not as familiar with the maritime law. In aviation, just getting to use your plane is considered compensation, even if I wasn't paid for my time. Commercial ticket required. It can be a bit more complicated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-31-2013

mnbv is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help. Apologies I forgot to mention that I'm in the UK and would be looking to sail in the caribean/mediteranian/british columbia anywhere else warm and safe!

Basically I'm looking for cheap/free holidays (possibly with a couple of mates or on my own) - by saving money it would be the difference between going sailing for 1 week a year of 4-6 weeks a year.

Is there not a market for people who just want a boat repositioned (e.g. from one caribean/mediteranean island to another, ready for their next holiday with not much time pressure?) The owner pays the flights + mooring fees and I sail for free? I think maybe I should have said "repositioning" instead of "deliveries in my original post?

Thanks,

mnbv
Old 10-31-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

It is possible to find a crew position for deliveries. There is a site for that (Google). They are usually assisting the owner. That carries the risk of that, and of delays caused by weather or problems with the boat. You also end up paying higher airfares because of the uncertainty.
Often they are longer passages with not much other activity.
Someone letting you take the boat = hardly likely unless you are very well qualified and experienced with multiple ocean passages as captain.
You also need to be demonstrably capable of standing a watch which in effect means sailing alone maybe 12 hours a day to crew.
Old 10-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Hard to imagine this working, unless you already have a relationship with the owner, are connected with a local firm or have a reputation to trade on. I can't see someone flying you in, sight unseen, and giving you their boat for a week. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-31-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbv View Post
...Basically I'm looking for cheap/free holidays (possibly with a couple of mates or on my own) - by saving money it would be the difference between going sailing for 1 week a year of 4-6 weeks a year...
If you owned a yacht, would you trust it to someone who currently only sails 1 week a year?
davidpm, tomandchris and Stumble like this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.