SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   When it's time for boat heaven... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105183-when-its-time-boat-heaven.html)

unimacs 10-30-2013 07:26 PM

When it's time for boat heaven...

This was sort of prompted by "Captain Jack's" thread on the seaworthiness of a "free" boat.

I don't mean this to be a judgement on that boat in particular but I am curious. Although one could repair almost anything, at a certain point it no longer makes financial sense. So what does one do with an old boat no one will take?

I'm sure some of the parts may be useful but once you get down to the hull, it seems to me that that's not going to be so easy to get rid of.

I'm talking about boats say between 20 and 40 feet.

WhistlerMark 10-30-2013 07:45 PM

Re: When it's time for boat heaven...

Sawsall and a dumpster are usually how most of those are disposed.

unimacs 10-30-2013 07:50 PM

Huh,

Found this on eHow. Local laws might differ but I guess you can just send them to the bottom.

Fiberglass Boats
Fiberglass boats are an interesting exception to normal fiberglass rules. According United States ocean and environment standards, fiberglass materials cannot be dumped overboard. However, boats made of fiberglass do not fall under these guidelines, and legally they can be left derelict as long as they sink and do not continue to float above the water. These fiberglass boats cannot be used to make man-made jetties or reefs.

Read more: How is Fiberglass Disposed of? | eHow

Some of the old iron mines in the Northern part of the state have filled with water and are popular with divers. One of them has a boat on a trailer sitting on the bottom.

abrahamx 10-31-2013 06:51 AM

Just have the insurance company buy it from you once its on the bottom.

Minnewaska 10-31-2013 07:36 AM

This conundrum is why all boat yards have several abandon vessels.

krisscross 10-31-2013 12:00 PM

I think that there are many boats out there which need to be scrapped due to their condition (too expensive to restore, serious structural problems). Salvage any useful items, including keels (lead scrap is 75 cents a pound!), cut up the hulls (concrete cutting saw will do it fast and cheap when dealing with thick hulls), or if they can be floated take them out into deep water and sink them. Have done it to a couple of smaller boats I could not sell. Got more for parts than I was asking for the whole thing.

Andrew65 10-31-2013 12:17 PM

Give it an honorable death. Give it a Viking funeral, then take a trip to your insurance agent with a different story. True, there won`t be any honor in the conversation, but, Hey, all the way to the bank baby. They take your money, so why not take theirs in return.

mad_machine 10-31-2013 12:55 PM

fill with concrete and use as a planter?

Andrew65 10-31-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1112794)

...in the X`s yard? Since the boat was always and "issue", let`s put it in HER yard as a planter :laugher

unimacs 10-31-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1112794)

I think that's what happened to one of the boats from our club actually.