Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: I'm perfectly fine on this cradle?

my boat is on a trailer with a similar set up with screw jacks. I have them set so that they barely touch the hull. I get some movement when walking across the deck, but at least I am not getting any dents in the hull

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Edit: why you are the only one to say that so far seems odd though. Also can you elaborate on the wood plank under the keel? Do you mean a piece of wood on top of the cradle going all the way across?
I suspect that most here use a yard that supplies jack/boat stands but we use a cradle for our 7000# boat. Even with jack stands the bottom of the hull is always resting on something like a big plank of wood and not on bare ground.

Essentially, yes. A big plank of 2" x 12" (better yet 2 of em) running the length of the cradle will help distribute the weight evenly. It is the keel that is holding up something like 95% of the weight after all. The 4 poppits (pads) just need to keep the boat upright so the keel takes the weight.
I often see a 2x12 or two bolted into place on the cradles used at our club (no stands allowed).

It is also best if the 4 cradle pads can be aligned with internal cabin bulkheads. Otherwise you can get a dimple in the hull.

It is way easier to save a little paint for under the pads when your boat is in the lift than to mess with painting under the pads with the boat in the cradle. It can be done while on the cradle but it is scary dealing with supporting all that weight. If anything bad happens there is a liability issue.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

SawWhet is on a distinguished road

When we block our Beneteau 321 start out with 2' by 2' plywood pads on ground then use deck blocks with wood blocking on top as required.Support at 4 corners, under keel also the same blocking set up mid way down the sides (one each side) plus block at either end on centerline of cradle.
Old 10-31-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

That's a lot of faith in concrete blocks. One could unexpectingly fail and it's all over.

I understand why they do it; to raise the cradle off the ground. Iit should be solid wood with some plywood or larger piece on the bottom to distribute the load. 2 x 8's nailed together, railroad tie, 8 x 8's; something other than concrete blocks. Your looking at a load carrying capability of around 1700 psi (minimum). (Concrete blocks are MUCH better than years ago)That sounds like a lot until something is off center and there is a pressure point. At a minimum there should be a 2 x 6 placed on top of the block to compensate. Take a mason hammer and try and split a block; then you will see how easy it is to make one crumble. What happens when a wet block freezes and cracks in the middle of winter?
Personally, having worked with a lot concrete blocks , i would never set a boat on concrete blocks. It's not the intended purpose. I to cringe when i see something like this. Years ago i was instructed to never set a car on blocks; i'd never set a boat on them.

Sorry; off the topic of the boat rocking. Get some friends to help spot the boat out of level. The cradle looks fine as long as the weight is on the keel.
Old 10-31-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not see any screw type adjustment for pad arm height.
I usually have to make fine adjustments after a while when things settle.
Dick
rikhall likes this.
Old 10-31-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I only want to say that the Princess is adorable....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 10-31-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I live in SoCal, very few people haul their boats around here), but wouldn't it take a few days on the hard for those blocks to settle completely, thereby reducing the amount of "play" that OP is experiencing?
Old 10-31-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

As the moisture in ground freezes, and the rays of the sun are blocked on one side of the boat (but not the other), the "play" that the OP is experiencing is likely to become worse. This will be exacerbated in the spring. We call them "frost heaves."

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 11-01-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Just to note. The keel of the boat is sitting on a block of wood that sits in an area in the trailer. It is not sitting on the ground. I also will request wood blocks in the future. I am not sure why some are on wood blocks and some are on cinderblocks

Last edited by abrahamx; 11-01-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-01-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I would put pressure treated 2x8's under that cradle, not cinder blocks. If one of them cracks (like from wind stress on the boat) you will have serious problems.