Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004

flicker is on a distinguished road
Yuan for Secure Long-term Kitty?

I asked this question already in the Gear question about courtesy flags, but it deserves its own spot so as not to dilute the conversation about the flags.

I am asking any knowledgable financial advisors out there if it is possible or likely that the Yuan will become a stronger, safer currency than the US dollar in the next decade or two.

Thanks in advance,
Chas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2004

wanna_sail is on a distinguished road
Yuan for Secure Long-term Kitty?

The Yuan (or RMB as it is really called) is currently not a convertible currency on the open market. That means that once you acquire it your are sort of stuck with it. You can convert RMB into other currencies on the ‘street’ in places Like Hong Kong and Thailand but the rate is not great. You can not convert RMB into anything else at any financial institution like a bank.

The RMB will have to be revalued sooner or later and with China’s entry into the WTO the currency will also become ‘tradable’ on the open market. Currently the RMB exchanges at the rate of 8.28 RMB per USD. Eventually that will change, probably slowly at first. The expected rate will be somewhere around 7.2. So for long term it might be a good investment if you are into trading currencies; usually not for the casual investor and also not normally a long term strategy; although the RMB could be the exception.

As far a kitty money goes, it is useless since you can not exchange it to anything and you can not have an ATM card that makes it available. So if you want to get to the money you have a serious problem unless you happen to be cruising past Hong Kong.

Old 12-18-2007

I am looking for a way to secure my money without putting it into stocks. What has happened with the RMB in the last few years? Is it worth buying today? And Would putting my money in a Hong Kong bank account protect it from US devaluation?

Flicker
Old 12-18-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Um, what in Poseidon's name does the stability of the yuan vs. the U.S. dollar have to do with "General Discussion (sailing related)?"

Jim
Old 12-18-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
well maybe fricker is setting aside some Yuan/RMB to buy a China made sailboat ? They made these current lot of Clipper Round the World race boats. Some of the Clipper boats almost loss their keel near The Philipines. But that's another story.
Old 12-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Flicker—

Umm, any reason you keep reviving dead threads for no real good reason? Please check the dates of the posts before you revive a thread that's been dead for over three years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-18-2007

GulfCoastSkimmer is on a distinguished road
I am going to wait a year, then post why i think he did it
Old 12-18-2007
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
I actually do some work with FX trading. It's a pretty ridiculous way to invest. It's mostly done as a hedging strategy when you're purchasing foreign stocks. Anybody willing to exchange small amounts with you is going to give you a lousy exchange rate. Unless you've got some predictive powers that actual experts in the field don't have, you're probably going to end up losing money.

Personally I'd put money into a solid shortish-term bond (short term because the interest rates are so low right now, you'll want to cash out and put money into a higher interest rate in the future - just a wild guess that interest rates will eventually increase for some reason), if you want a safer investment than stocks. Not a bond fund, an actual bond, there's a big difference.

But I'm not an investment advisor so do what you please, I'm just some shmoe on the Internet, among many.
Old 12-19-2007

Boy, you are tough, sailingdog And you don't miss a trick. Yes, I revived two old threads; one seemed to apply directly to my question about suitable windvane self-steerers for 38-foot sailboats, and I couldn't find the "start new thread" icon, as I said in my post on the other thread just a few minutes ago; the other was my own thread from a while ago. I know of a couple of US cruisers who were hit hard by stock dips in the past and I am still looking for the safest place to put my liquid assets so that I can sail as undisturbed as possible by market and dollar fluctuations.

Frankly, since you all seem so dogmatic about old threads, what is it that bothers you about it? It seems a little bizarre to me, but maybe that's the way things are going. I'll certainly comply with your rules, etiquette and otherwise, but maybe you could tell me how you come up with your rules so I can anticipate them and avoid being offensive in the future.
Old 12-19-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flicker View Post
... I couldn't find the "start new thread" icon, as I said in my post on the other thread just a few minutes ago;
You mean the button that looks like this

prominently located at the left top and bottom of each sub-forum topic list page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicker View Post
the other was my own thread from a while ago. I know of a couple of US cruisers who were hit hard by stock dips in the past and I am still looking for the safest place to put my liquid assets so that I can sail as undisturbed as possible by market and dollar fluctuations.
Nice try, but simply including the words "cruising," "liquid" and "sail" in a post doesn't magically make the subject on-topic for a sub-forum that clearly states "sailing related".

Jim