Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: How to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This is the lee-cloth set-up on the boat I used to race on (with one of the bowchicks settling in for the evening). Pretty easy and very effective:
The lee cloth or the bowchick?
paul323 and Cap'n Russ like this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
You know those fancy yachts at the boat show with the queen sized beds forward and aft? We'll I'm crewing on one in the Salty Dawg Rally. Lucky me I'll be trying to sleep in one of these heeled over. How do you stay in bed? Or should I just sleep on the floor?
Part of the point of center island queens is to be able to climb in and out easily without disturbing whoever you are sharing the berth with. Usually that means it is difficult to stack gear or anything else to wedge yourself in. Everything--including you--ends up on the floor.

Lee cloths work fine although depending on configuration it may take some work to mount fittings to connect it to. On Auspicious the aft berth lee cloths are permanently fixed and are usually under the mattress. They rig to backed up rings in the overhead. I have a plan for a third, centerline cloth that I haven't tried yet. We'll see how that works out.

Sleeping on the floor is highly underrated. It's one of my favorite spots. After all it's hard to fall off the floor. *grin* A good bit depends on the configuration of the boat - you need to find a place that isn't in the way of people getting to the head, nav station, and galley. That usually isn't a problem if those spots are at the base of the companionway (where they should be). It is more problematic with a forward head or a shotgun galley.

Hammocks are a poor solution. They take up a huge amount of room, their swinging gets out of phase with boat motion which is unpleasant, and for those of us who aren't 20 anymore contribute to aches and pains. Day after day spending off watch underway in a hammock below is much different than a nap on the foredeck at anchor. Most assuredly not recommended. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

Have fun on the Salty Dawg. Let us know which boat you are on so we can watch on the tracker.

It's only chilly for the first day or so until you get past the Gulf Stream.
brokesailor likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 11-01-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: fixing typos
Old 11-01-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Pfft. Man up. Clip in and sleep on the rail. You'll still be a useful part of the crew even when asleep
(yes I have done that!)
miatapaul and brokesailor like this.

Old 11-01-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Auspicious: I'm supposed to be on Charmed Life, a Beneteau 49. Weather for next week is crap so I see already delays at the starting line.
Old 11-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Sew up an adult version of one of these. Easy to store. Portable. Duckies are a bonus.

Melrna, jimrafford and jimgo like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-01-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Auspicious: I'm supposed to be on Charmed Life, a Beneteau 49. Weather for next week is crap so I see already delays at the starting line.
Have a great time.

I see a different story for next week. This is what I look at: AuspiciousWorks - Communications / Yacht Management / Deliveries Worldwide . I see a front moving over Hampton on the 3rd (about) and good wind (about 20 kts) Nly behind it. If you head out at 135T (my preferred course leaving the Chesapeake) you'll cross the Gulf Stream where it is fairly diffuse and NEly. It might be bumpy for half a day but shouldn't be bad. Do meal prep ahead and look forward to warmer temps. Keep everything tied down and secure. By the time you get to 65W and turn South the ride South should be glorious until at least the 9th.

Is Chris Parker saying something different?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 11-01-2013

harmonic is on a distinguished road

I find dragging a squab onto the floor best when the sea is rough you cant fall any further,the only issue is some plonker walking on you in the dark
Old 11-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Chances are, most of the trip will be sailed on port tack, so the starboard settee will be the prime spot... Unfortunately, looks like it might be a bit short...

If there's more than one off watch at a time, the only real alternative would seem to be the aft berth, sleeping across the head of the bed, with your feet outboard... As usual with these aft stateroom arrangements, it's guaranteed to place your head as close as possible to the autopilot motor and ram... You may have a better appreciation for one of the unsung advantages of windvanes, by the end of the trip :-)

Good luck, and have fun, let us know how it goes...
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 11-01-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

I sailed back from Bermuda on a Beneteau with a big queen bed aft. Only the aft side of the bed was against the hull, so there was walking space along the other three sides. After a midnight to 3:00 am watch at the tail end of tropical storm Curtis, with the boat tossing and heeling horrendously I found it almost impossible to sleep on the bed without sliding or rolling off. Finally I hung my arms, head and upper torso over the side, positioned like I was about to pull myself over a wall, and managed to sleep some, due to sheer exhaustion. They clearly weren't thinking of big seas when they designed this boat.

The skipper said he didn't want us sleeping on the settees in the saloon, because his wife didn't want sweat stains on them or something like that. After 24 hours I rebelled and jammed myself between some gear on a settee and slept like a baby.
Old 11-01-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

If it is an aft cabin catamaran, you just pull the sheets up.

I've slept underway with a bad back in spasm, lying on a heating pad, in rough conditions without trouble. Just a gentle up-and-down motion. It helps that the bunks (queen each side) are athwartships. My family always sleeps in.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber