Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
How to sleep

Here's a piece of the routers forecast:
Wed6 departure from Chesapeake: 060@12<110@9, 2-3' wind-chop, swell
6'/9secE.
Wed6 night/Thu7 morning, ENTER GulfSrteam 36-20N/74W: 130@12<150@15,
3-4' wind-chop, swell 5'/9secE.

What does 130@12<150@15 mean? Winds 12 kts from 130 degrees true........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: How to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Auspicious: I think Salty Dawg is scrubbing Monday departure because of wind mostly from the east.
Really? I haven't been on the radio to listen to Chris lately. My analysis is different. Based on original NOAA product I see N to NNE on Monday clocking to NE on Tuesday. Chesapeake Bay is a microclimate. Good news NOAA has a great model for the Bay. More good news is that things look like NNE Monday morning pre-dawn.

As of now, with a passage plan of 135T to 65W then 180T to Tortola I would leave at or slightly before dawn Monday morning 4 Nov. You'd be on a beam to close reach out of the Bay then a broad reach from the sea buoy as you settle onto course. As the wind clocks over Tuesday into Wednesday you stay on course hardening up to a close reach and possibly a beat for a while. Don't turn South early - protect your Easting as it will be hard to come by when you get into the trades further South.

Risk is low. This is not a frontal passage. The front will be ahead of you. The wind shift is due to the high moving ENE to NE well North of you. You shouldn't even get rained on {caveat - my weather forecasting on precipitation isn't very good}.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
A couple of eye bolts and a piece of canvas 4'x3' provides the basics.
The devil is in the details, especially on someone else's boat. "You want to do WHAT to my mahogany interior?" Simply not going to happen on a delivery or for a rally crew. Don't like it? Don't go.

Which puts you back on the floor (access to heads and galley taken into account) wedged in with your gear bag and whatever else is at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, depending on how comfortable they are, and how hard on the wind you might be on port tack, one of those things might actually be your best bet...

i ran this H-R 43 back north from the islands in June that had such an arrangement
I have those exact same chairs to port on Auspicious. When I was outfitting the boat many of my acquaintances told me I was making a huge mistake giving up a settee as a sea berth. When those people come aboard the first thing the want to do is settle into a chair. *grin* Guess what? I route them out and make them sit on the settee on the other side. Warped sense of humor on my part.

I have never regretted getting the chairs. As Jon said on a favorable tack they are fine for sleeping in. On the opposite tack there is the floor and the stbd settee. Best spot of all is the floor in the walkthrough. How many people are you (not you Jon, generic 'you') trying to sleep offshore anyway?
aeventyr60 likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
As of now, with a passage plan of 135T to 65W then 180T to Tortola I would leave at or slightly before dawn Monday morning 4 Nov. You'd be on a beam to close reach out of the Bay then a broad reach from the sea buoy as you settle onto course. As the wind clocks over Tuesday into Wednesday you stay on course hardening up to a close reach and possibly a beat for a while. Don't turn South early - protect your Easting as it will be hard to come by when you get into the trades further South.
Should be interesting to track the Caribbean 1500 departure on this one...

With their penchant for routing the fleet down the beach to Hatteras, and crossing the Stream there, given the inshore forecast of NE 25-30 thru Sunday night and seas to 10' thru the following day, that's gonna provide a VERY sporty crossing of the Stream for anyone who chooses to do so off Hatteras... I would suggest this might be one year where that tactic would not be advisable...

In any event, there's gonna be some sick puppies aboard many of the boats in that fleet, and some of those crew on their first-ever night offshore are in for a major wake-up call... Sounds like another classic first night out on the last offshore passage they will ever make, for some... :-)
aeventyr60 likes this.
Old 11-02-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
How to sleep

Dave and Jon: I have the latest weather router analysis. If you want to take a look let me know how to forward it to you. Departure is not my call. I'm just an OPO crew.
Old 11-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
With their {Carib 1500} penchant for routing the fleet down the beach to Hatteras, and crossing the Stream there, given the inshore forecast of NE 25-30 thru Sunday night and seas to 10' thru the following day, that's gonna provide a VERY sporty crossing of the Stream for anyone who chooses to do so off Hatteras... I would suggest this might be one year where that tactic would not be advisable...
Which I just don't get. I'm usually at least 100 miles offshore Diamond Shoal by the time I get to the Hatteras latitude.

Certainly things might be bumpy for eight or ten hours and decisions on a CSY 33 might be different than on a Beneteau 49 or a Hallberg-Rassy 43.

Even if you can't point tremendously well you'll be pushed NE by the Gulf Stream.

Which reminds me - Caribbean 1500 is about 30 boats this year. Salty Dawg is 120 or more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2013

For the second year in a row, the 1500 departed a day ahead of schedule...

Smart move, looks like everyone will make it across the Stream with the breeze still out of the NW, before moving to the NE... In this case, heading down the beach to Hatteras is the way I'd be inclined to go, as well...

I like the track being sailed at the moment by the skipper of TE MANA, a Kanter 65... Looks like he has the right idea, crossing the Stream at a favorable angle, staying high and putting some easting in the bank, and being well-positioned when the breeze does begin to come NE...

Good for them, good luck to the fleet...

World Cruising Club - Fleet Viewer
Old 11-03-2013
Mermaid Hunter

My analysis was to leave tomorrow morning at dawn. I had two phone calls with Chris Parker yesterday (a very patient man). Together we walked through his thoughts and mine. The conclusion I came to is that his guidance to leave Wednesday morning is well founded for either Salty Dawg or the Caribbean 1500. I think Chris makes a good case for more sailing and less motoring and likely the same arrival date by leaving Wednesday.

I think on my own boat with a good crew I'd still leave anytime between midday today (Sunday) and dawn tomorrow (Monday) and take the risk of some drifty days and the possibility of a fast run if we get far enough East early enough. For guidance to a rally Wednesday makes much more sense.
brokesailor likes this.

Old 11-03-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
In this case, heading down the beach to Hatteras is the way I'd be inclined to go, as well...
Why? I would have stayed further East and crossed the GS further North perpendicular to the stream, about where Rayana and Intruder II are. I think Te Mana would have been further East and just as South if she hadn't stayed so close to the beach for so long.

Nothing like armchair quarterbacking. *grin*

Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
My analysis was to leave tomorrow morning at dawn. I had two phone calls with Chris Parker yesterday (a very patient man). Together we walked through his thoughts and mine. The conclusion I came to is that his guidance to leave Wednesday morning is well founded for either Salty Dawg or the Caribbean 1500. I think Chris makes a good case for more sailing and less motoring and likely the same arrival date by leaving Wednesday.

I think on my own boat with a good crew I'd still leave anytime between midday today (Sunday) and dawn tomorrow (Monday) and take the risk of some drifty days and the possibility of a fast run if we get far enough East early enough. For guidance to a rally Wednesday makes much more sense.
Well, you're obviously looking at the bigger picture than I am, I was simply thinking about getting across the Stream before the wind goes NE...

However, a look at Passageweather (yeah, I know :-) ) indicates they should have some very fast sailing thru about Wednesday, or into Thursday, allowing the fleet to get way down the rhumbline before it starts to lighten up... Later next week, seems like things in their wake SE of Hatteras start to get pretty flukey...

Obviously, you and Chris are seeing something different than what the Gribs alone indicate, I'd certainly defer to his call...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
In this case, heading down the beach to Hatteras is the way I'd be inclined to go, as well...
Why? I would have stayed further East and crossed the GS further North perpendicular to the stream, about where Rayana and Intruder II are. I think Te Mana would have been further East and just as South if she hadn't stayed so close to the beach for so long.

Nothing like armchair quarterbacking. *grin*
If my primary concern is getting across the Stream as quickly as possible, I'd generally head for it close to Hatteras... Especially with the Stream tailing off to the ENE as much as it is these days... heading more easterly out of the Bay could easily postpone entering the GS by half a day or more. Not to mention, putting you into it at night. Aiming for a entry much further than about 74.30 W is gonna be more difficult to time your crossing of the GS to be done mostly in daylight...

You're right, of course, for us to Armchair Quarterback this stuff is largely meaningless... So much stuff you don't know until you get out there, the sea state/wave train can dictate much of the initial course to be sailed, and so on...

Still of all the boats in the fleet, I like the position of that Kanter 65 the best... Looks like he's already out of the Stream, and is considerably higher than those further south... If Passageweather is to be believed, the fleet is gonna be sailing pretty hard on the wind in another 48 hours, and "Riding the Curve' is really gonna pay off, looks like some of the boats further south are heading more E now, as well... Those boats to the N of the Kanter heading more easterly look like they'll spend tonight in the Stream... With the wind now reported as N at around 25, they're in for a pretty sporty ride...

Looks like an IP 44 is headed back to Norfolk, and a Hylas 45 appears to be making towards Beaufort... An H-R 46 seems to be sailing a strange course to the SW, as well, I wonder if he's thinking of diverting to Beaufort or Charleston, too?

Old 11-04-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

You need yourself one of those old-timey boats that are slow designs and have no luxuries.

Except these things called pilot berths

I'll be doing this passage next year and be snug in that.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.